This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Column Chooser

16 Answers 359 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jebamalai
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jebamalai asked on 10 Oct 2008, 04:34 AM
Dear All,

Like in RAD Windows Grid Control, is there any option available in the Web Grid for choosing the columns?

16 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 10 Oct 2008, 06:03 AM
Hi Jebamalai,

This functionality will be available in our upcoming new version (Q3 - early November).

Sincerely yours,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2008, 05:20 PM
Hello,

The Q3 RTM is now available, and I'm wondering if you could point out the section of the documentation that explains the new column choosing capability.

So far I haven't been able to location any information on how to use this new feature.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Nov 2008, 05:36 PM
Please disregard my last post, I was able to find this:

http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/grid-header-context-menu.html

Which correlates to the Q3 beta demo here:

http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax-beta/Grid/Examples/GeneralFeatures/HeaderContextMenu/DefaultCS.aspx

Now I'm wondering... how would one go about persisting the column header selections made by the user across separate page views? I can see that the column choices are carried through ViewState, but what if the user leaves and returns at a later point?

Thanks again!

Yavor
Telerik team
answered on 10 Nov 2008, 10:59 AM
Hello Mark,

To see more information along the lines of the requested functionality, please refer to the following article. I hope it gets you started properly.

Best wishes,
Yavor
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Martin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2008, 10:55 PM
A tasty tip Yavor, thanks for the pointer.

I have got the header context menu plugged in and working (awesome!). One thing I would like to do is have the checkbox menu *not* display the GridEditCommandColumn and a GridButtonColumn (for deleting the record) in the list. I'm sure this is done on the client side, but didn't see any real hooks to handle when the menu was built. I saw plenty to handle when the column was hidden.

Any suggestions?
I'll dig some more and post if I find something worthwhile.

-Martin
Yavor
Telerik team
answered on 14 Nov 2008, 11:07 AM
Hello Martin,

Attached to this message, is a small application, which handles the required functionality.
I hope it helps.

Greetings,
Yavor
the Telerik team

Martin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2008, 05:57 PM
That absolutely did the trick. I'm guessing I can also use this approach to hide other columns as needed? (in the case the app caches column visibility as well), the prior link in this thread looks to be the perfect place to start.
Yavor
Telerik team
answered on 17 Nov 2008, 08:58 AM
Hi Martin,

Indeed, you can use this approach to hide any of the columns in the columns collection of the menu.

Kind regards,
Yavor
the Telerik team

Martin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Nov 2008, 09:39 PM
What a nice feature this is!

However, during testing on some platforms, I've noticed a rather egregious deficiency with the backing javascript. My target broswer is FireFox 3.x

I have tested the functionality running this app through the browser on OS 10.5.5 and WinXP SP3

On the windows side, the right-button click on the grid header brings up the menu at any location on the header (above the column text; hand cursor, on the column header itself;pointer cursor, and next to the column header edge; resize cursor)

This however is not the case on the Mac. The menu is only activated when the cursor is in the resize region. I have firebug installed and no JS errors are being thrown. To make matters better/worse, I have verified this same behavior on a RadGrid demo (http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet/prometheus/Grid/Examples/GeneralFeatures/HeaderContextMenu/DefaultCS.aspx) on both platforms.

I am stymied on how this would be fixed. Is it a simple CSS fix, or is there some OS/Browser disconnect that is not catching the right-button click correctly?  If this needs to be moved into a new thread or into a ticket, so be it.
Yavor
Telerik team
answered on 18 Nov 2008, 12:01 PM
Hi Martin,

We will investigate the issue, and update the thread as needed.

Regards,
Yavor
the Telerik team

Yavor
Telerik team
answered on 25 Nov 2008, 07:05 AM
Hello Martin,

I have escalated the issue to our developers, and they will soon investigate this in greater details, and look for a possible fix.

All the best,
Yavor
the Telerik team

svs priyan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2009, 09:16 AM
I would like to raise the postback event while clicking of column choosing checkbox, because i need to save the radgrid even column chooser also. postback occur while click of other items in header context menu, but it is not postback when i click column choosing checkbox.
can u please tell me the way to raise the post back event while clicking of column chooser checkbox..?

and one more thing i need to know . how to restrict the certain columns in cloumn chooser..?
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Dec 2009, 06:47 PM
Is this fixed?
Yavor
Telerik team
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi priyan,

You can subscribe to the onColumnHiding/onColumnShowing client side event handlers, to intercept the case when the end user shows/hides a column. From there, you can trigger an AjaxRequest to the server.
I hope this suggestion helps.

Sincerely yours,
Yavor
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
grand lorie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Oct 2010, 04:45 PM
Hi Martin

Did you fix that issue? (HeaderContextMenu on MAC OS)?

and if so, how?

I have similar issue, the HeaderContextMenu works fine with Windows machine and also with Safari in MAC but Firefox no.
as Firefox is our default browser.

any idea?

Thanks
Mohan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jan 2012, 09:38 PM
Hi Grand Lorie,

It works like a charm with FF, Google Chrome, and IE 9. Try with FF 9.0.1
Tags
Grid
Asked by