I'm supposed to evaluate the telerik ASP.NEt AJAX package for my company. In advance I apologize if this question has already been answered in the forum, I have searched but found nothing about it.
I have few question regarding the grid which is our most concern in term of control :
- Do you have/plan to incorporate a full client-side rendering to allow full client side automatic support of function like sorting, paging, grouping, filtering and so on ... like for example the component-art one [ sample @ http://www.componentart.com/webui/demos/demos_control-specific/grid/features/mixed_runningMode/WebForm1.aspx ]
- Is the grid implement edit mode using full JSON handling ?! If not do you plan to add these functionnality, or adding full JSON support for most of the functionnality in order to boost up the grid performance.
- I saw you post some tips & tricks, and I really appreciate that :) Do yount have any kind of best-practice for the grid usage.
I still playing with the grid, I probably have further questions on it, and I will probably come back soon.
I'm playing with Component-Art grid since few days also, and it seems very powerfull as well, but also a little buggy, and the support doesn't seem to be very efficient. If anybody have ever used both of the libraries, I'll be happy to hear your thoughts about them.
Hope hear from you soon as well.
11 Answers, 1 is accepted
We do not have complete client-side rendering however we believe that we have something better - client-side data-binding!
You can check following links for more info:
live data from WebService:
Master/Detail & Hierarchy
ATOM & RSS client-side binding
ADO.NET DataServices client-side binding
Client-side edit/update using various templates
You can check also 1mil. records demo with client-side data-binding and LINQ to SQL here:
the Telerik team
thanks for your quick and very verbose answer, I really appreciate.
Be sure I will take time to investigate all links you kindly provided to me.
Before you answer me, I was playing with the grouping ability, and I realize that it seems the grouping requires the viewState usage ... is there any alternative to the view state usage for grouping and filtering ?!
I get that some people use viewState server-side / compression .. but the better will be to not have view state at all.
Thanks in advance for your answer.
- would a client side grouping ability available ?
- is the grouping state has been planed to be pulled out the viewState as the filtering & sorting ?!
I have to say, I realy appreciate samples & stuff about RadGrid I have seen since this morning .. thanks all for your work & support.
Hope hearing from you soon.
I would really appreciate Vlad to have your point about the previous post, and the grouping client-side ability.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Currently the grid does not support grouping using client-side data-binding. We will do our best to provide this as soon as possible.
the Telerik team
thanks for your answer, I hope been able to test this new feature very soon ^_^
In the mean time I'll try to mix-up both client side sorting with ajax grouping, I think this one should still be possible right ?!
Have a nice day.
This tells me that if you require dynamic grouping that you really can't go with Client services for the other options as it will become difficult to keep client and server in sync as to what the current state of the grid looks like.
How long might it be until Grouping also makes it Client side? We are evaluating controls for a large project and have liked the functionality of the Rad Controls so far...
Feel free to contact me at Jeff.Hemry at Itron.com if you'd like to discuss it in more detail.
We do not have exact date for client-side grouping with pure JSON release however we will do our best to provide this as soon as possible. In the meantime you can axjaxify the grid using traditional ajax approach with RadAjaxmanager.
All the best,
the Telerik team