This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Checkbox Appearance in RadComboBox (2012 Q3)

5 Answers 134 Views
ComboBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Bradford
Top achievements
Rank 2
Bradford asked on 19 Dec 2012, 03:57 PM
Hello,

As was noted in the 2012 Q3 release notes, RadComboBox is no longer decorated by RadFormDecorator.  I understand that there may be very good reasons for this change, but it now leaves us with the ugly default IE check boxes instead of the nice looking check boxes rendered by RadFormDecorator.  Is there a simple way to recover the check box appearance within RadComboBox that was available in 2012 Q2 and prior?

[Edit #1: I must revise my comments slightly.  I performed a trace on the styles and noticed that there are actually check box images included, but the images are rendered in IE9 BEHIND the standard check box provided by IE 9.  Is there a fix for this?]

Regards,

Bradford

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Dec 2012, 11:35 AM
Hello, Bradford.

The change in referred in the Q3 release notes applies to the combobox input, not the checkboxes.

The way RadFormDecorator works [when decorating checkboxes] is once it collects all such elements on the page it loops over and checks each of them if they have a class name. If a checkbox has it's own class name, the decorator will leave the checkbox as is.

That's the way it has been for about a year now -- almost the same time this check was added, the combobox support checkboxes built in.

I tested with several previous versions and none had decoration for built in checkboxes.

Now, if you use templates and template checkboxes as shown in this demo -- http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/combobox/examples/functionality/templates/defaultcs.aspx -- you will be able to get the decoration. That said, you will have to take care of the actions what happens when you click on an item and so on and so forth.

To sum up, if the skinning of the checkboxes is of utmost importance, you could use templates, but if it's not that important, you can use the default checkboxes. We'll look into making the default checkboxes skinnable, yet, I can not comment on time frame of implementation.

Regards,
Ivan Zhekov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Bradford
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Dec 2012, 07:05 PM
Hello, Ivan.

I appreciate your response.  But something did indeed change between 2012 Q2 and 2012 Q3 to cause the appearance of the check boxes within RadComboBox drop-downs to change.  We noticed the issue when we upgraded to 2012 Q3 from 2012 Q2.  We observed other changes, as well, such as other CSS changes that we were not ready for, so we temporarily reverted back to 2012 Q2 and all was well.  We finally had enough time to deal with the CSS changes, recently, so we re-upgraded to 2012 Q3.  The check box issue is something that remains but that we we consider minor.  However, it is definitely unattractive.

And maybe I should rephrase the issue a bit.  After a little research I guess it isn't necessarily that these check boxes are no longer skinned, but that they are corrupting the default appearance in IE to cause them to appear to use the flat style of check box.

Please note that the check boxes appear properly in 2012 Q3 when using Firefox or when using IE in Quirks mode.  They are displaying strangely when using IE 9 in IE 9/8/7 browser mode or document mode.  Please see the attached screen shots of the Telerik RadComboBox with check boxes demo page (http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/combobox/examples/functionality/checkboxes/defaultcs.aspx).

Regards,

Bradford
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jan 2013, 08:58 AM
Hello, Bradford.

You are absolutely right. There was a typo in the CSS, which in the case of CSS resulted in styles not being applied properly.

I have fixed the issue and the fix will be made available with the SP, which should be out next week.

For this bug report I am awarding some Telerik points, which you can see updated in your account profile.

Regards,
Ivan Zhekov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Christos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jan 2013, 11:50 AM
Hi Ivan,

I experience the same problem with the radcombobox checkboxes back colour even though I just applied 2012 Q3 SP2 to my solution. I use the Black skin as Bradford does and the problem appears in IE9 were I emulate to IE8 with the following line of code in the header of the page.

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />

This wasn't a problem with Q1 and Q2 releases.

Did you include this update in the SP?

Many thanks,

Christos
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2013, 12:52 PM
Hi, Christos.

The bug was not included with the Service Pack. At the end, there was not enough time to properly test everything (looks, integration example), so we decided to postpone the fix (as inclusion) for the official release.

All the best,
Ivan Zhekov
the Telerik team
Tags
ComboBox
Asked by
Bradford
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Ivan Zhekov
Telerik team
Bradford
Top achievements
Rank 2