This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2012 Crashing my VS 2010

9 Answers 116 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 2
Doug asked on 17 Oct 2012, 06:28 PM
I took the update to the ASP.NET AJAX controls this morning when prompted in VS 2010.  After the install no projects will open.  Winforms or Websites.  Visual Studio Encounters and error and shuts down when trying to open a project.  I re-installed VS 2010 and no luck.  I ended up having to uninstall AJAX and was able to continue working on my Winform apps but now I have no controls for my asp.net web apps.   This is a disaster.   I can't find the installs for the previous version that was running for Q2 2012.

Doug

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 17 Oct 2012, 07:04 PM
I was able to locate the last Q2 2012 build in my products area and install that back onto the system.  I am no having any VS crashes with it so the install for that is stable.   I would like to take advantage of the new version(s) but am hesitant now because of the current issue.

Please advise.

Doug
Kevin White
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 17 Oct 2012, 07:48 PM
I am having the same situation.  Back to the Q2 release I go.
Phill Hodgkinson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Oct 2012, 10:02 PM
Same problem here. If you go to Tools > Extension Manager and remove all the Telerik Extensions the issue will go away.

To think I was just about to renew my subscription... I stopped using Sitefinity because every new release would embarrass me to my clients because there would be more new bugs introduced than fixes. Seems it's the same issue with the Rad Controls... 
Derek
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 03:25 AM
Same here, installed Q3 and had errors; submitted a support ticket with details.

I had to downgrade back to Q2. Please help. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Derek
Accepted
Chavdar Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 09:54 AM
Hello,

Thank you for writing.

The following article describes a workaround for the problem:
http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/vs-extensions/telerik-visual-studio-extensions-common-crash.aspx

Please, excuse the inconvenience caused!

Kind regards,
Chavdar,
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
George
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 04:59 PM
I hate to disagree with the Telerik guys, because I Love you guys, but this work around doesn't fix everyone's problem.

The ASP.NET MVC and KENDO UI for ASP.NET MVC installers crash Visual Studio 2012.  As soon as you open a project or solution (new or existing), regardless of the type of project or solution (web, windows, class library), Visual Studio 2012 will crash.  Uninstall these two components, and the problem goes away.

Thanks, Greg
George
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 05:03 PM
Phil,

While I can't disagree with you about Sitefinity (we stopped using it as well for the same reasons), I can't say the same thing about Telerik's controls.  They do a very good job with them.  Their installers have a tendency to cause ulcers, but the controls themselves work quite well, Any bugs that do pop up they are quick to fix.

Greg
dbernett
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 05:12 PM
Same problem here.  I currently have ASP.NET AJAX installed.  Just put on WinForms October 17,2012 Version.   Opening ANY Project in Visual Studio Ultimate 2010 causes it to Shut Down and Close.  Uninstalling WinForms seesm to fix the problem :(

UPDATE:  Using the Control Panel I updated my ASP.NET AJAX installation which was a previos version.  Not only that I had some other previous versions that the "Update" cleaned up for me. 

Everything seems to be working fine.
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 18 Oct 2012, 05:35 PM
Hello Greg,

Making sure all installed VSExtensions hold the same version should resolve the issue entirely. Did you try updating the MVC and Kendo UI VSExtensions  through the Visual Studio Extension Manager?

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 2
Kevin White
Top achievements