This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

AJAX Manager not working....

3 Answers 129 Views
Ajax
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
GDPR_erased
Top achievements
Rank 1
GDPR_erased asked on 09 Aug 2008, 12:09 AM
I must be doing something wrong, but I am using VS2005 and I have a master page with a RadScriptManager control on it because I have a panelbar on the master page.  Then I have a content page that I have dropped a RadAjaxManager on. (v2008.2.723.20). After I configure the AjaxManager, and pick my controls, i just does not work. I picked a grid to grid, and when I sort the grid columns, it still does a full postback. No error, just does not work?!? What am I missing? I've been using the Rad.ASP.net controls forever, so I'm familiar with it, but I'm trying to convert to the newer AJAX versions.
Thanks,
~bg

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kevin Babcock
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Aug 2008, 04:08 AM
Hello,

Would you mind posting your markup here so that I can take a look at it? Perhaps I can help you figure out why you are unable to get the controls configured to allow partial-page postbacks.

Kevin Babcock
GDPR_erased
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Aug 2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks, I do appreciate your help, but I have uninstalled everything and spent all day yesterday cleaning up and re-writing everything using the ASP.Net controls and Visual Studio 2005. I did get the newer process to work, but I discovered that the Ajax Manager Proxy ws not writing to the html even though Iwas checking off the controls to "Ajax". I had installed the VS2008 SP1 (BETA) Ugh! That was a mistake, and the "controls" to Ajax did finally show up in the GUI Ajax Manager Proxy control, but I never thought to look at the code (html) ehind to see that it wrote the html.
I want to say this is not a bad reflection on Telerik. Telerik has always been miles ahead in the Ajax game,and for years waited on Microsoft to catch up, however, I do not know if it is really the best idea to go to a single Telerik.Web.UI.dll. What if one control is completly out of wack? The nice thing about the break out of the ASP.Net controls was that individual teams at Telerik could put out critical fixes befor a major release and you could just replace your individual dll.
Telerik's AJAX independence is what made them great, now, they will depend on Microsoft's Ajax and that dependence (crutch) can hurt them.
For instance, I have to wait on VS 2008 SP1 to even use the Telerik controls effectively, and there is nothing they can do until MS releases it. I was horrified to see what it did when I installed the BETA! All my .Net framework 2.0 to 3.5 was upgraded to BETA!! I had to uninstall all my .Net framework except for 1.0, uninstall , VS2008, 2005, ec. and reinstall everything to clean up.
Thanks for your help, but I have been down all the beta testing route, etc. before, and now, 25 years later, its time for me to let someone else work it out.
Simply put, for now, I must stick to what works.
Thanks,
~bg
Todd Anglin
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Aug 2008, 09:11 PM
Bg-

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble. In truth, the .NET 3.5 SP1 beta really was terrible. It was one of the "real betas" that you don't see too often these days. Fortunately, the final version of .NET 3.5 SP1 and VS 2008 SP1 is now available, so you can probably solve most of your problems that way.

Generally speaking, though, the emergence of the SP1 release shouldn't affect your ability to use the RadControls. Building on Microsoft's ASP.NET AJAX framework is just the natural evolution of ASP.NET UI component development, so it won't change our commitment to staying ahead of MS or releasing fixes as customers need them. I think you'll find that instead our controls are more stable, better performing, and easier to maintain than ever before.

Microsoft's SP1 beta clearly was a bad experience, but I think you'll find in the future Telerik can still bring the same magic we've always brought to ASP.NET while building for the new framework features. Hope this helps!

-Todd
Tags
Ajax
Asked by
GDPR_erased
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kevin Babcock
Top achievements
Rank 1
GDPR_erased