This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

No skins assembly found

11 Answers 168 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Peter
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter asked on 29 Aug 2012, 02:57 PM

Hi all,

I have a problem with using skins for my Telerik ASP.NET Ajax controls (version  2012.2.607.35). When I try to select a skin using the smart tag, I get the message 'no skins assembly found' etc., telling me to add the Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll to my bin folder. But, the dll is there in my bin folder. There is also a reference to it in my project references. I have this problem in every project I work in. I just tested it with a simple page like below:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Newtest._Default" %>

<%@ Register assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" tagprefix="telerik" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">
    <telerik:RadScriptManager ID="RadScriptManager1" Runat="server">
        <Scripts>
<asp:ScriptReference Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Name="Telerik.Web.UI.Common.Core.js"></asp:ScriptReference>
<asp:ScriptReference Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Name="Telerik.Web.UI.Common.jQuery.js"></asp:ScriptReference>
<asp:ScriptReference Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Name="Telerik.Web.UI.Common.jQueryInclude.js"></asp:ScriptReference>
</Scripts>
    </telerik:RadScriptManager>
    <div>

</div>
    <telerik:RadScheduler ID="RadScheduler1" runat="server">
    </telerik:RadScheduler>
    </form>
</body>
</html>

There is nothing going on in codebehind, Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll are both present in the bin folder and they both have the same version number.

What I am doing wrong?

regards,

Peter

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ivana
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2012, 10:29 AM
Hello Peter,

I have tried to replicate the described behavior, but to no avail. Attached is the sample project on which I have tested. Can you replicate this behavior on it? Also, is this behavior the same with the latest version of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX?

Kind regards,
Ivana
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Peter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Sep 2012, 03:03 PM

Hello Ivana,

I'm sorry but I don't see an attachment.

regards,

Peter

Ivana
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2012, 03:17 PM
Hello Peter,

I am sorry I didn't attach the file. Here it is now.

All the best,
Ivana
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Peter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2012, 07:10 AM

Hello Ivana,

I tried your project and get the same error message.

Best regards,

Peter

Ivana
Telerik team
answered on 06 Sep 2012, 03:11 PM
Hello Peter,

I can not determine what is causing this behavior. Could you please try to creating a new project and test the same scenario on it? Also, could you please record a video of the troubled behavior?

Thank you!

Regards,
Ivana
the Telerik team
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Mar 2013, 10:17 AM
I am having exactly the same issue - tried all of the suggestions, but the skins dont appear.
The sample skin project also fails
Peter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Mar 2013, 12:54 PM
Hi Andrew,

After some experimenting I found that this works:
Create a new project. From the toolbar select Telerik > RAD Controls for ASP.NET AJAX > Convert to Telerik Application, go through the wizard and click finish. References are added for the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assembly in the gac. Close Visual Studio saving any changes. Open Visual Studio again and open your project. When you look in Windows Explorer you will see that the assemblies are copied from the gac to the bin folder of your project. References are still to those in the gac though. Create a new web form. Now here is the weird thing: if you drag a radcontrol (for instance RadDatePicker) to the source view of the webform, when you switch to design view you will get the error 'no skins assembly found...'. HOWEVER, if the first thing you do is drag a radcontrol onto the design surface of the web form, everything works! From then on you can add radcontrols to the source view and it will still work. I have no idea why this is.

regards,

Peter
Celeste
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Aug 2013, 05:46 PM

asdfdsafdsafdsaThis is really annoying, I can't even see what I'm typing in this rich editor box.

IUvana, I am having the same issue however, I am not qilling to rebuild my entire application. Please let me know how to resolve this. Thank you. Also, I would like to be able to see what I am typing into the editor box on this issue page, can you look into that too?

Kate
Telerik team
answered on 09 Aug 2013, 10:02 AM
Hi Celeste,

I noticed that you also opened a support ticket where you are referencing the same issue therefore I would kindly ask you to continue the communication only in a single thread so that we can avoid any further confusion.

Regards,
Kate
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
DanInMa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Sep 2013, 07:42 PM
I am having the same issue. This is my first experience using Telerik products and so far I have ran into all kinds of little issues, this being the most recent. I am using visual studio 2010. I have added the assembly references to both files, and still cannot access the skins.
I tried making a brand new "RadControls Web Application" project, and the results were the same. I have restarted VS several times after multiple attempts.
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Sep 2013, 06:09 AM
Hi DanInMa,

You could refer to the following topics where possible solutions to similar problems are described:
 http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-troubleshooting.html
 Design-time Troubleshooting
 http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/introduction-troubleshooting-skins.html

Hope this helps,
Shinu.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Peter
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Ivana
Telerik team
Peter