This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

upgrade error

18 Answers 386 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mark asked on 12 Mar 2012, 04:07 PM
when i run the upgrade wizard within VS 2010

i get this error that affects the upgrade

The item .... \BusinessLogic\web.config could not be found in your workspace, or you do not have permission to access it.

the upgrade wizard also shows 3 warnings...

Assembly Reference "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2012\Bin40\Telerik.Web.UI.dll" was not updated properly. This usually happens in Visual Studio 2010 when an assembly exists both in the GAC and in a local folder. Please, use the GAC reference instead.

how do i find the GAC reference? and use it where? replace my existing references in source and businesslogic with the dll in GAC?

18 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 14 Mar 2012, 11:01 AM
Hello,

The first problem that you have encountered is really strange. Can you make sure that you can check out and edit the web.config file mentioned? If you have the required permissions then I suggest you to open a formal support ticket so that we can investigate further the issue.

The warning that you see in the upgrade log is misleading. The upgrade wizard has upgraded the project successfully and the warning shouldn't be displayed at all. This is a known issue that we will fix in some of our feature releases.

All the best,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Richie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Dec 2012, 11:58 AM
Hi,
You said you'll fix the problem but today I got the message again.
Does it mean you havn't fix that yet or that there is really a problem?
Thanks
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2012, 04:45 PM
Hi Richie,

Thank you for contacting us!

We haven't fixed the issue yet. Currently we are considering some improvements in the Telerik project wizards which will affect the upgrade wizard and the upgrade log as well.

With that said I want to encourage you to continue with your work and not to worry about the warning. Please excuse any inconvenience caused.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Kim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2013, 07:35 AM
I still get this.

Assembly Reference "C:\Users\Kim\Desktop\Projects\OAS\lib\RCAJAX\2013.2.717.40\Telerik.Web.UI.dll" was not updated properly. This usually happens in Visual Studio 2010 when an assembly exists both in the GAC and in a local folder. Please, use the GAC reference instead
Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 07:57 AM
Hi Kim,

I am sorry for the confusing message you are receiving.

We set the issue in our Public Issue Tracker. You can check the progress, vote for fixing it and add your comments on the following link: LINK

Please excuse us for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Pierre
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Aug 2015, 05:57 AM

Hello,

Still get the issue... year 2015.

This above link doesn't work as well.

Any new information about this issue ?

Thanks.

Pierre.

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 01 Sep 2015, 07:34 AM
Hi Pierre,

Thank you for reaching us.

The issue has been prioritized as low priority and it is still not fixed. However, the bug's status could be tracked in this feedback portal. As my colleague Dyanko Petkov described in his post, you could also vote for it or add some comments. In case the interest in fixing this issue grows up we will take it into consideration again.

Please let us know if we could be of further help.

Regards,
Yana
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Oct 2015, 07:31 PM
Still receiving error message "Assembly Reference "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for ASP.NET MVC Q3 2015\wrappers\aspnetmvc\Binaries\Mvc5\Kendo.Mvc.dll" was not updated properly. This usually happens in Visual Studio 2010 when an assembly exists both in the GAC and in a local folder. Please, use the GAC reference instead."

Known issue since 2012, its 10.1.2015, nothing about this upgrade process using the visual studio extension works. The VS extension crashes the entire application if you use it to download the updated Kendo UI as well. Updating Kendo UI is supposed to be an easy process and it never is due to these issues.
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Oct 2015, 07:35 PM
I should also add I am using Visual Studio 2013 not 2010 and the issue is still present.
Yana
Telerik team
answered on 06 Oct 2015, 08:06 AM
Hello Ryan,

Thank you for reaching us.

As I have already mentioned in my previous post, the issue with the misleading warnings is with low priority and its progress could be tracked in this feedback portal. My advice is to vote for it and comment directly under the bug report. However, we plan to do some improvements of our Visual Studio extensions which could affect the problematic behavior. We will let you know if the issue is resolved in some of our next releases.

When it comes to the second part of your post, could you please send to us another ticket with some more details about the problem that you are experiencing, such as:

1. What version of our Visual Studio extensions do you use?
2. What are the exact steps to reproduce the crash? Did our extensions crash or the Visual Studio?
3. Is the behavior always reproducible? Some screenshots or video of recreating the issue will be highly appreciated

I am looking forward for your response.

Regards,
Yana
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
hart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 26 Nov 2016, 02:35 PM

2016 - the problem still exists.

I am using VS 2015

Yana
Telerik team
answered on 29 Nov 2016, 12:43 PM
Hello Hart,

Since R1 2016 release of  the Telerik Visual Studio extensions, the described issue is fixed.

Could you please try to update the version of the installed Telerik Visual Studio extensions to the latest available and give another chance to our Upgrade wizard?

Please let u know in case the issue still persists.

Regards,
Yana
Telerik by Progress
Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX is ready for Visual Studio 2017 RC! Learn more.
hart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
answered on 29 Nov 2016, 03:10 PM

Great to hear the fix is complete -- unfortunately, I was on a deadline and completely cleaned the project and rebuilt it by dragging/dropping all of the files from the "broken" project to a new project.  Took about an hour, however, I was able to get everything running again.  Sorry, cannot test if the 2016 Fix works.

thanks,

HH

Martin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Dec 2016, 06:56 PM
Still get the issue... year 2017.
Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 30 Dec 2016, 11:28 AM
Hi Martin,

I am sorry to hear you are facing difficulties with our product.

If you are referring to the problem described here I can only reiterate what my colleagues already said. The issue was fixed with the R1 2016 release of the Visual Studio Extensions. I have confirmed the fix with version 2016.1.111.0 of the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX VSExtensions on VS2010 and the latest version (2016.5.1111.0) of the extensions for the same product on VS2012. 

Could you please try to update the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX Visual Studio extensions to the latest available version and let us know in case the issue still persists?

The steps below will help you to upgrade the installed ASP.NET Ajax extensions to the latest version:
1. Launch Visual Studio
2. Select Extensions and Updates... item under the Tools menu
3. Expand Updates tab and choose Visual Studio Gallery item
4. Select Telerik ASP.NET AJAX VSExtensions and press Update button
5. Proceed with the installation and restart Visual Studio when prompted

Have in mind that the extensions available in the Visual Studio Gallery support VS2012 or above. Extensions installed in previous versions of Visual Studio could be updated with the Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX stand-alone installer downloaded from Your Account. The following steps would help you do the latter:

1. Log in into your Telerik account
2. Click on the Download button on the top of the page
3. Select Telerik UI for ASP.NET AJAX
4. Choose the desired version in the Version drop down (2016 R1 or later)
5. Download the standalone installer (msi file)
6. Follow the installation steps

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2017, 04:45 PM

Hi Nikola,

Feb 3,2017

I just ran the upgrade wizard and am getting the same message too. The challenge for me is that I have no idea what the GAC is or which local folder you are referring to. Everything seems to be working okay so should I just ignore the error message? Or can you provide step-by-step "instructions for dummies" about how to fix it? I am in VS 2015.

Mike

Nikola
Telerik team
answered on 06 Feb 2017, 11:14 AM
Hello Mark,

The Global Assembly Cache (GACstores assemblies specifically designated to be shared by several applications on the computer. You could find more details about it here. With the stand-alone installer we register the Telerik assemblies in the GAC and also locally in the installation folder. This could cause the warnings you mentioned.

The references are resolved correctly, so your project should work as expected. If you don't want to get the warnings however you could upgrade your extension from the Visual Studio Gallery, which would resolve the problem. To do the latter, please follow these steps:

1. Launch Visual Studio
2. Select Tools from the menu at the top
3. Press Extensions and Updates... from the drop down menu
4. Click Online to the left and select Visual Studio Gallery
5. Enter UI for ASP.NET AJAX in the Search Visual Studio Gallery text box
6. Select the extension and click Download

If you have other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to get back to us.

Regards,
Nikola
Telerik by Progress
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular 2 components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Feb 2017, 09:30 PM
Thank you Nikola for the detailed response.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Petar
Telerik team
Richie
Top achievements
Rank 1