This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Filtering

3 Answers 53 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Prashant
Top achievements
Rank 1
Prashant asked on 22 Jun 2011, 09:48 PM
I need some explanation beyond the two examples in the documentation. I am just not understanding filtering. Not true I understand the concept of filtering I am having problems with implementation.

I have a basic grid which I am filling with data from persistent storage (i.e. in the Current Session). On Page_Load I simply assign the storage for a particular table to the grid data source and bind. Simple. When sorting and paging happen I basically do the same thing. But filtering. That is a whole other ball game! I do not see an Event that I can use to rebind the data. I am assuming that the Grid or TableView handles the actual filtering and I do not need to provide any sort of filtering function.

The filtering that is offered is more than adequate for my needs I just need to know what I have to do to get an implementation going.

Thanks,
Doug

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Jun 2011, 04:16 AM
Hello Douglas,

The issue occurs because you are binding the grid using Simple data binding technique. If you are using any advanced feature in grid(like paging,filtering), then a better approach is binding RadGrid using "AdvancedData binding" using NeedDataSource event.

For more information about this can be available here.

Grid / Advanced Data Binding

Thanks,
Shinu.
Prashant
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2011, 03:55 PM
Shinu,
Thank you for the response. When using the Advanced method, am I, as the developer, no longer responsible for putting handlers in place for OnPageIndexChanged, OnPageSizeChanged etc? This is handled by the NeedDataSource event? If this is true then this is actually quite a bit easier as only one handler needs to be built. Am I correct here?

Thanks,
Doug
Accepted
Tsvetoslav
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jun 2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Douglas,

Yes, you are correct - just go along the lines of Advanced data-binding for the grid and it will handle the sorting/paging/filtering commands by itsefl. 

Regards,
Tsvetoslav
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
Grid
Asked by
Prashant
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Shinu
Top achievements
Rank 2
Prashant
Top achievements