This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Spell Check as you type

9 Answers 105 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Andreas Ladis
Top achievements
Rank 1
Andreas Ladis asked on 04 Apr 2011, 11:52 AM

Hi,

I checked the demo : http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax/editor/examples/spellchecker/defaultcs.aspx
but when i tried to apply it on my Greek Dictionary it was not working.

I kept receiving an error, that Phonetic provider is not supported.

Is it necessary for inline spell check the phonetic provider to be supported?
Is there any other way to enable inline spell check?

Regards,
Eleni

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 04 Apr 2011, 01:07 PM
Hello Eleni,

You should use your Greek dictionary with the EditDistanceProvider of the spellchecker, e.g.

<telerik:RadEditor ID="RadEditor1" runat="server">
        <SpellCheckSettings SpellCheckProvider="EditDistanceProvider" ...   />
    </telerik:RadEditor>

Kind regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Andreas Ladis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Apr 2011, 07:45 AM
Hi,

I did that but the inline SpellCheck does not work.
What do i have to do , what code should i write to enable inline spell check?

Regards,
Eleni
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 05 Apr 2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Eleni,

You should also disable the ConvertCharactersToEntities filter, e.g.

RadEditor1.DisableFilter(EditorFilters.ConvertCharactersToEntities);

For your convenience I prepared and attached a sample working project where the spellchecker uses a Greek dictionary.

All the best,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Andreas Ladis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 06:03 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the help.
The demo is not working for greek characters. I have to press the spell check button to find the errors.

I am sending you an image attached.Can you help me?

Regards,
Eleni
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 11 Apr 2011, 07:13 AM
Hello Eleni,

The requested Spell Check as you type feature is logged for implementation for the Q2 2011 release.
Currently to spell check the RadEditor's content you should manually click on the SpellCheck button on the toolbar.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team
Korosh Karimi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jun 2011, 12:12 AM
Hello Eleni,

So just so I'm clear on this, even though several of the on-line (RadEditor) demos demonstrate the spellcheck as-you-type feature, we will not have access to this until Q2-2011? I've been struggling to get this to work (using Q1-2011) and I couldn't figure out why. Perhaps this would explain a lot. Please confirm.

Thank you,
Korosh
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jun 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi everyone,

I just want to inform you that the implementation of the "Spell Check as you type" feature was postponed for Q3 2011. Until then you can use the built-in inline spellcheckers of Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera which works fine in RadEditor. In IE you can use the built-in spellchecker of RadEditor.

We plan additional improvements in the current version of the inline Ajax spellchecker for Q3 2010 as well.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Scott
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2012, 04:56 PM
Hi - I don't see any more word about this feature. Has it been cancelled, implemented or postponed further? 
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 24 Aug 2012, 08:20 AM
Hi,

Currently all major browsers (except Internet Explorer) offer their own built-in spellcheckers that perform inline spell checking out-of-the box in the editable elements: textareas, editable iframe and div elements. The content area of RadEditor is an editable IFRAME( or DIV if ContentAreaMode is set to DIV) and the required spell as you type feature is offered out-of-the box by Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera. It will be also offered by the upcoming IE10 and for this reason we do not plan to implement such functionality which will decrease the editing of larger content if it is implemented with JavaScript, which is 10 times slower than the native compiled code.

At present you can use the inline spellchecker of RadEditor in all browsers but you should click the spellcheck button. Another approach is to use the built-in spellchecker of the non IE browsers for inline spellcheck in realtime, and use the RadEditor's spellcheck for IE.

Regards,
Marin Bratanov
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Tags
Editor
Asked by
Andreas Ladis
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen
Telerik team
Andreas Ladis
Top achievements
Rank 1