This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

403 forbidden, but only for site members

2 Answers 523 Views
WebParts for SharePoint
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
js
Top achievements
Rank 1
js asked on 13 Jul 2007, 01:43 AM

Hello,

I am having a 403 Forbidden error, but only for regular members (contributors). For example, in a discussion board entry they can see the editor fine, but when they try to submit the post (message) they get a 403 Forbidden error.

When a site administrator does the same thing, the RTE control works fine.

If I add the regular member user to the group “Owners” then the user can use the control just fine.

Also, I am using FBA (forms based authentication). The user accounts are in an SQL Server database “aspnetdb”.  They are not windows or win domain accounts.

Please help.

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lini
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jul 2007, 08:46 AM
Hello,

If possible, check the server's event viewer. There should be an event in the Application log, which lists more details about the error. If you cannot find anything in the event viewer, you might be able to see the error details if you temporarily turn off the friendly error messages for the SharePoint site. To do this, open the site's web.config file and make the following changes:

1) set CallStack="true" in the SafeMode section.
2) set <customErrors mode="Off" />  in the system.web section.

Another approach is to use a HTTP proxy (e.g. Fiddler - http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/) to check the requests.

If you still only see the 403 error you can check the logs at \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS\, which must contain information about the error.

Usually, the 403 error occurs if the user does not have read permission for the editor support files (located at \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\wpresources\RadEditorSharePoint\4.1.0.0__1f131a624888eeed\RadControls\). In your case the user should be NETWORK SERVICE, since you are using forms authentication. It is unlikely that the problem is caused by permissions, since you said that the editor loads fine. However, we recommend that you reset the permissions for the RadControls folder so that everyone has at least read permissions.

Greetings,
Lini
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
js
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2007, 02:40 AM

Hello,

After further testing, it looks like the permissions or something else for that discussion board was messed up. We were previously doing a lot of experimenting with that discussion board. After creating a new discussion board, all users can use the rad control without the 403 error. My first clue was that the control works fine for all user types in the announcements area.

Thank you very much for helping and for this great control. ‘Sorry I took your time without doing further investigating first.

John

Tags
WebParts for SharePoint
Asked by
js
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Lini
Telerik team
js
Top achievements