This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

403 FORBIDDEN

9 Answers 945 Views
Grid
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Britt
Top achievements
Rank 1
Britt asked on 14 Jul 2008, 09:51 PM
I am using the latest RadControls for ASP.NET in MOSS 2007 and am getting a blank page with a 403 FORBIDDEN message.

The RadGrid is in a UserControl consumed by the page and has Ajax enabled.

• I have full trust enabled.
  • I have both RadAjax.Net2 and RadGrid.Net2 added as SafeControls (as is my UserControl).
  • The folders (hosting the dlls, user control and RadControls files) all have read & execute access enabled for the Thread Account.
  • The site uses forms based authentication.
I get the following event message:

Event code: 4011
Event message: An unhandled access exception has occurred.
Event time: 7/14/2008 1:06:34 PM
Event time (UTC): 7/14/2008 6:06:34 PM
Event ID: cf3b8e1113e8480987b80b3a2b91176c
Event sequence: 3
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1939723128/Root-7-128605323920557239
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /
    Application Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\<snipped>\
    Machine name: <snipped>

Process information:
    Process ID: 1808
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: <snipped>

Request information:
    Request URL: http://<snipped>/custpages/rcereturnexpress.aspx
    Request path: /custpages/rcereturnexpress.aspx
    User host address: <snipped>
    User: <snipped>
    Is authenticated: True
    Authentication Type: Forms
    Thread account name: <snipped>

Any help is greatly appreciated.

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jul 2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Britt,

Can you please remove the grid and/or ajax temporary from this page to see what will be the result? Any other info can help us to identify the problem - full exception stack trace for example.

Kind regards,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Britt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2008, 07:33 PM
I tried removing the control, which caused the page to load fine.
Having the control declarations at the top of the control caused no problems either.

Custom errors were already off and stack trace was on.  All I receive is a white screen with normal sized black text that reads 403 FORBIDDEN.

Again, this is a forms based site extended off of a normal active directory site.

I tested it on the AD site and got a much more descriptive error: RadGrid v5.1.0: You have not copied the RadControls folder to the root folder of your web-application or you have applied an update incorrectly.

The RadControls was setup as a Virtual Directory for both sites.  Then I tried copying the directory into each site.

No improvement either way.

Thanks for your help
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jul 2008, 11:25 AM
Hello Britt,

It seems that your RadControls folder is not configured properly or the ASP.NET account does not have permissions/access to this folder due to some reason. Can you please verify that you set-up this folder as explained in this topic from the RadGrid for ASP.NET onilne documentation? Additionally, verify that you use the latest version of the product (5.1.3) following the upgrade instructions from the KB article below:

http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/article/b454K-kad-b454T-a-b454c-a.aspx

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Britt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jul 2008, 09:30 PM
Thank you, that helped me get things rolling in my active directory based instance.

I've tried several controls from the Telerik suite (RadAjaxPanel most recently) and got it to work splendidly on my active directory site but I always get a blank page with a "403 FORBIDDEN" message when I access the page on the Forms Based Authenticated site.

I believe FBA uses impersonation and I've verified that the file resources and dlls are all accessible to the account in question.  I've also verified that the web.configs of both sites are the same in regards to safecontrols, etc.  Both sites are served on the same server.  I can't think of anything else to try at this point and am open to any suggestions.

Again, the event information in the event log is posted in my original message.

Thanks!
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jul 2008, 07:21 AM
Hi Britt,

Can you please check whether the information from the following blog post (elaborating on how to troubleshoot pages with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX) will help you locate and elimiate the reason for the access forbidden message? Note that you can utilize the Fiddler tool for IE or FireBug for FireFox to monitor the processes between the client and the server.

Kind regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Britt
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2008, 08:10 PM
Ok, I've come up with a solution.  I had to disable embeded resources for some reason while using forms based authentication.  I also had a problem with the path for the RadControls folder which I cleaned up.

It's a solution that I can live with, although I do not know why it is allowing embeded resources when in active-directory mode but not when using forms based authentication.

Thanks.
Veenu
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Nov 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi,

Can you please let me know what modifications did you do and where to remove this issue?
I am getting exactly the same error - fist pag-load is fine, and then clicking on anything results on 403-error.
I did some settings (like removing compression settings) as suggested here:
http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/troubleshooting.html

but no effect so far. Worst - I am getting this issue on Client Production System with IE7 only.

Thanks and Regards,
Veenu Munjal
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 30 Nov 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Veenu,

It seems that the solution that worked for Britt is to disable the embedded resources for RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX (see this documentation article for details).

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Veenu
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Dec 2009, 03:20 PM
Hi,

It worked after removing the Telerik Compression Components from Web.Config.
Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
Veenu Munjal
Tags
Grid
Asked by
Britt
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vlad
Telerik team