This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Memory Leaks?

7 Answers 127 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1
Steve Bywaters asked on 18 Jun 2010, 03:10 AM
I find that whenever I use RadTabStrip + RadMultipage in a complex FormView, I get:
  1. Slower and slower response inside VS2008...
  2. Memory bloat - up to about 1Gb used - then...
  3. VS crashes (3 times this morning!! Each after use of 1Gb memory)

I only seem to have this problem when using these components in a complex form - otherwise VS etc is quite stable

Ideas?

XP SP3 (4Gb ram)
Telerik 2010 controls
ASP.NET 2.0/3.5

Steve

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jun 2010, 08:52 AM
Hi Steve,

We were unable to confirm any link between using the RadTabStrip control and the VS memory usage in our tests. Can you please send us a test project/page that we can use for testing?

Also, can you try disabling all add-ons like ReSharper and others. Does this improve the memory usage?

All the best,
Tsvetomir Tsonev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jun 2010, 12:29 AM
Ok, I've uploaded the page I'm currently working on, plus the required Master page and style sheet.

http://members.lifetimedistributors.com.au/LDtest.zip

Simply open up the page in VS2008, go to the FormView ("fvEdit"), set it to open the EditItemTemplate, and start working there (where most of the controls are, within a table) .
Edit some controls, move them around, close the template, re-open the template, etc, etc, etc
Do all the stuff you would do when building up a reasonably complex form.

In my work here, Task Manager showed VS memory use going from an initial 200M or so up to 1G+ in about an hour!
(Then 'bang', as VS falls over)

HTH
Steve
Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jun 2010, 03:10 AM
And here we go with the memory blow-out:
http://members.lifetimedistributors.com.au/clip1.jpg

It took me 2 hours to get there - working on the form all the time.

Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jun 2010, 04:09 AM
..and here we go again... < 1 hour later!

http://members.lifetimedistributors.com.au/clip2.jpg
Dimitar Milushev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jun 2010, 03:16 PM
Hi Steve,

I tested the page and indeed Visual Studio's memory usage gradually grows, but I also tested the same page with the TabStrip and PageView removed and editing the template through the Design mode still causes Visual Studio's memory usage to grow. I don't think this is exactly a memory leak - Visual Studio has some known problems with memory fragmentation and it seems that the amount of Controls/markup causes the memory usage to skyrocket in this case.

Best wishes,
Dimitar Milushev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2010, 12:20 AM
I suppose it is true that my biggest forms do always use TabStrip...

So if you're 'pointing the finger' <g> at VS08, do you know if this is improved in VS 2010?

Steve
Dimitar Milushev
Telerik team
answered on 29 Jun 2010, 11:23 AM
Hello Steve,

I haven't done any 'scientific' tests with VS 2010, but I feel the performance is greatly improved and I prefer it over VS 2008 for my day-to-day work whenever possible. You can always download a trial version to test your scenario.

Greetings,
Dimitar Milushev
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
Steve Bywaters
Top achievements
Rank 1