This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error Rendering Control

5 Answers 558 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
James Bridgeford
Top achievements
Rank 1
James Bridgeford asked on 20 Aug 2009, 05:59 PM
I have installed/reinstalled and Reinstalled telerik again, but to no avail.  Every time i attempt to use a Telerik control on a new web project it comes up with Error Rendering control with the following error:

An unhandled exception has occured
Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.2.701.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeytoken=121fae78165ba3d4' or one of its dependencies.  the System cannot find the file specified. 

in bin i have:
 Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.xml

in the web.config i have:
     under controls
          <add tagPrefix="telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI"/>
     under httpHandlers i have:
          <add path="ChartImage.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.ChartHttpHandler" verb="*" validate="false" />
          <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" verb="*" validate="false" />
          <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" verb="*" validate="false" />
          <add path="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler.ashx" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadProgressHandler" verb="*"   
          validate="false" />
          <add path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" verb="*" validate="false" />
     under httpModules i have:
          <add name="RadUploadModule" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadHttpModule"/>
          <add name="RadCompression" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadCompression"/>
     under modules i have
          <add name="RadUploadModule" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadHttpModule"/>
          <add name="RadCompression" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadCompression"/>
     under Handlers i have:
          <add name="ChartImage_axd" path="ChartImage.axd" type="Telerik.Web.UI.ChartHttpHandler" verb="*"
          preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_SpellCheckHandler_axd" path="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler.axd" 
          type="Telerik.Web.UI.SpellCheckHandler" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_DialogHandler_aspx" path="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler.aspx"
          type="Telerik.Web.UI.DialogHandler" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="Telerik_RadUploadProgressHandler_ashx" path="Telerik.RadUploadProgressHandler.ashx"
          type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadUploadProgressHandler" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />
          <add name="Telerik_Web_UI_WebResource_axd" path="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource.axd"
          type="Telerik.Web.UI.WebResource" verb="*" preCondition="integratedMode,runtimeVersionv2.0" />

I've had a co-worker looking at it who deals with telerik more extensivly, but even he sees nothing wrong.  Hopefully someone here can help me understand this error. 

Also:  I have telerik installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Martin
Telerik team
answered on 21 Aug 2009, 08:55 AM
Hello James,

To solve this i would need to know the following information:
  • Do you have Visual Studio SP1 installed (in case you use VS 2008)? You can review this blog post concerning a known issue connected to VS SP1.
  • Do you have any Telerik assemblies in your global assembly cache? This help topic has some more information that might be of your interest.
I would also offer you to review this help article (especially the last case) which could help you to go through the problem.

Looking forward to your reply

Regards,
Martin
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
James Bridgeford
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Aug 2009, 02:17 PM
Putting Telerik.Web.UI into the gac seems to have done the trick.  thanks

I had to also make sure that Telerik.Web.Design.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.xml where in my bin folder, but not Telerik.web.UI.dll
loai taha
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jan 2010, 09:41 PM
for god sake, why it should take me a whole day to be able to use Telerik ASP.NET AJAX controls on VS 2008!!!!!!!!

yes I have vs 2008 with SP1 and yes I followed the above recommended steps but nothing happened at all.

besides, I dont have the .NET 2.0 framework in order to install and uninstall GAC assemblies.

Thanks
Martin
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jan 2010, 02:00 PM
Hello Loai Taha,

I would suggest you to open a formal support ticket and provide the following information that would be helpful in resolving the issue:
  • What is the actual error you get - is it the "Error rendering control" design time exception or is it another one?
  • Did you get the error after upgrading from a previous version of our controls? If so - how did you make the upgrade - through the automatic installer or manually?
  • What is the current version of RadControls you have installed and what was the previous one (if any)?
  • Do you have any references to previous versions of RadControls in the web.config file of your project?

Looking froward to your reply,
Martin
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Jan 2011, 08:32 PM
so far, I've upgraded twice and have gotten the error twice. I'll post my solution in case I ever forget it and have to use this forum. Also, for others...

(i'm on a 64 bit machine, using VS 2010 and my "c" drive is my "i" drive)

upgrade website

copy dll files from

I:\Documents and Settings\m.cali\Application Data\Telerik\Updates\Telerik.Web.UI_[version]_Dev_hotfix\Bin[.NET version]
to
I:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2010\Bin[.NET version]
and to
I:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies

and to each website in the bin folder
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
James Bridgeford
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Martin
Telerik team
James Bridgeford
Top achievements