This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Treeview inside combobox

9 Answers 110 Views
TreeView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jincymol
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jincymol asked on 12 Dec 2008, 06:12 AM
Hi,

We are using a treeview inside combobox and it is working such a way that the child nodes will be populated only on click of parent nodes. That is working fine. What we need is we want the treeview to be populated only on combobox click. How we can acheive that?

Regards,
Jincy

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi Jincymol,

One way to achieve this goal would be the following:
I hope this will get you started.
Sincerely yours,
Simon
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Dec 2008, 11:53 AM
Hi,

Now we are loading the treeview on page_init event. What we expect is we have to load the treeview only on item requested event. We are using Q3 2008 version. Is this possible?

Regards,
Jincy
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 15 Dec 2008, 01:18 PM
Hello Neil,

Load on demand with templates works only for non-AJAX controls. In other words, you cannot add a RadTreeView to the Items of the ComboBox if it is loading them via the Load on Demand mechanism.

Regards,
Simon
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Jincymol
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Dec 2008, 09:46 AM
Hi,

Can you please explain? Do you mean that it is not possible? now we are loading the treeview on init event of combobox. is it not possible to load the treeview when we click on combobox?

regards,
Jincy
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 16 Dec 2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Jincymol,

What I meant was that RadTreeView as a Template of a ComboBox with Load on Demand is not achievable.

On the other hand, in a normal ComboBox, data bound on the server, you could put a RadTreeView as a Template as shown in this live demo.

Could you be a bit more specific on your goal? What do you mean by "...load the treeview when we click on combobox?"

Kind regards,
Simon
the Telerik team

Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Dec 2008, 05:43 PM

We have a number of treeview-in-combo controls and, as suggested by Telerik support, we currently load the treeview on the init events of the combos; we then poplutate the treeview nodes on demand. However, the init event is "triggered" by page load and is causing a significant delay in loading some of our pages (and radWindows, where we also use them). We had understood that the new (Q3 version) of the controls allowed "lazy initialisation" - - ie that the combo would not initiate its Init event until the user clicked its dropdown arrow. But this appears not to be so - the init event is still firing on page load and delaying the loading. We are trying to discover how to take advantage of the new "lazy initialisation" to prevent these delays

Best regards,   Jincy

Simon
Telerik team
answered on 18 Dec 2008, 05:21 PM
Hello Neil ,

The lazy initialization is a mechanism which works on the client.

For instance, Items in RadComboBox are actually initialized the first time the drop down is opened. Before that they do not exist. The result is that the page will load faster than usual (prior to the introduction of this mechanism).

I hope this sheds more light on the subject.

Regards,
Simon
the Telerik team

Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Dec 2008, 05:33 PM
Thank you for trying to help but I had understood that. The problem is, it is not working on our system - the combos that we populate uising the Init event (because Telerik suggested using thtis even when we need to create a treeview in the combos) are all running on page load, making the pages very slow to load. I have now sent a project to Telerik support to demonstrate this problem, so I hope we will get a response using our own project
Best regards,   Neil
Simon
Telerik team
answered on 19 Dec 2008, 01:58 PM
Hello Neil ,

As far as I have understood you until now you want to use RadTreeView in a Template of a RadComboBox and have Load On Demand at the same time. Currently this configuration is not supported by our controls. Actually, if you put *any* AJAX control inside the Template, the approach will not work.

We will still inspect your project in case there is something else which we are missing.

Sincerely yours,
Simon
the Telerik team

Tags
TreeView
Asked by
Jincymol
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Simon
Telerik team
Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1