-100 horizontal scaling when exporting to PDF

0 Answers 134 Views
Rendering Report Designer (standalone) Report Viewer - HTML5
Igor
Top achievements
Rank 1
Igor asked on 11 Apr 2022, 04:38 PM

We use the standalone Telerik report designer to create reports. When we preview them in the html5 viewer, everything looks good. I export the report to PDF and everything shows as expected. However, if I were to examine the text properties, the horizontal scaling is set to -100. I was able to see the horizontal scaling using the free version of PDF XChange Viewer. So while the PDF shows correctly in most places, we have run into rendering problems in certain areas of our software. Other PDF files generated by other software seem to use 100% scaling and they all work as expected. Where is this -100 horizontal scaling setting coming from? Is this part of the report and if so, can it be changed? Or is this the way Telerik generates the PDF?

Appreciate any help on this!

Dimitar
Telerik team
commented on 14 Apr 2022, 10:36 AM

Could you please share what kind of rendering problems you experience with PDFs produced from Telerik Reporting?

Generally, we use PDF Validator to validate our document and we haven't had such complaints before, see the PDF Rendering Design Considerations article for more information.

Igor
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 14 Apr 2022, 01:05 PM

Attached is a picture of the issue. On the right is how it should display. What we are seeing is on the left. 
Dimitar
Telerik team
commented on 19 Apr 2022, 08:17 AM

Could you please share what the "PE" acronym means? Is this a PDF viewer? Does this represent the PDF Exchange PDF viewer?

I tested to export our Dashboard demo to PDF, then opened it in the Xchange viewer, and it looked correct, please see attached image.

In our tests, we extensively use Adobe Acrobat and Reader to examine the produced PDF files so we have not experienced such issues before. If the issue is present only in this custom viewer, please contact their support for possible clues on why the PDF is not displaying correctly.

Igor
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 19 Apr 2022, 01:12 PM | edited

Hi Dimitar,

I used the dashboard demo to export a PDF and then check the horizontal scaling using PDF X-Change Viewer, see attached image. By selecting some text and viewing the properties, you can see that the scaling is set to -100%. It is this value that I want to change, is there any way to force it to not use -100%? Even though it displays correctly in Adobe Acrobat or Reader, it does not display correctly in other areas and I wanted to see if there was a way to edit this setting.

PE is the software we have developed where it is not showing correctly due to the -100% scaling. That software is using the IcePDF library which perhaps does not support -100% scaling. Be that as it may, I understand we can go to IcePDF and bring the issue up with them but what I am asking for is where does this -100% value come from and can it be adjusted somehow?

Dimitar
Telerik team
commented on 22 Apr 2022, 11:44 AM

Hello Igor,

Thank you for the provided information.

I am afraid that we currently do not expose a setting for changing this behavior, the available PDF rendering settings can be found in the PDF Device Information Settings article.

In this case, I suggest again contacting the IcePDF team and letting them know of this issue. We would be glad to hear what they may have to say on this topic.

Igor
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 09 Jun 2022, 04:20 PM

Hello Dimitar,

Can you explain why Telerik generates pdf files with text set to -100% scaling while all other text we found is set to 100% scaling? Is this by design and what purpose does it serve?

Would it be possible to log a ticket to potentially look into changing this or exposing this property?

Dimitar
Telerik team
commented on 14 Jun 2022, 12:26 PM

The scaling options allow us to enlarge/shrink text without the need of changing the character points of the character styles.

I would suggest reading the What’s the use for Horizontal and Vertical Scale on text blog which explains in a little more detail the reasons behind using text scaling.

Regarding changing this behavior of the Reporting engine, please feel free to log an FR about it on our feedback portal.

Igor
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 14 Jun 2022, 04:27 PM

Hi Dimitar,

I understand the purpose of scaling and why it would be used. I was asking why the scaling is set to a negative number, specifically -100%?

Dimitar
Telerik team
commented on 20 Jun 2022, 08:08 AM

Hi Igor,

I am not sure exactly why the scaling is negative but I will contact the development team that works on the PDF rendering to investigate this case and will reply back as soon as I have more information.

No answers yet. Maybe you can help?

Tags
Rendering Report Designer (standalone) Report Viewer - HTML5
Asked by
Igor
Top achievements
Rank 1
Share this question
or