This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

100% CPU time on rad window maximize

13 Answers 120 Views
Window
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1
Marijana Cubra asked on 13 Oct 2010, 08:07 AM
Hello,

We are facing strange behaviour of rad window.
When we force from server side code, that rad window is opened maximized on clinet load, IE(8) browser hangs taking 100% of CPU time. When window is restored to predefiend size, or minimized, it goes back to normal.

Also, if window is opened in predefined size on client side, and then maximized by client (manual action or script, whatever) it also hangs. However, after few manual repetions, it can stay maximized with normal CPU load.

This happens with several different rad windows we are using across our application.

Thanks for prompt reply!
Marijana

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Oct 2010, 09:11 AM
Hello Marijana,

So far, the only case in which we have observed such behavior is when there was a RadSplitter on the page where the RadWindow is and that splitter was configured to 100% height. If this is your scenario too, just set overflow:hidden to page's form, body and html elements.
e.g.

html, body, form
{
   height:100%;
  margin:0;
  padding:0;
  overflow:hidden;
}

If your case is different, please open a support ticket and send us a sample project where the problem could be reproduced so we can investigate further.

Kind regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Oct 2010, 02:20 PM
Georgi,

Sample Project with description is at support ticket number 358594

Thanks
Marijana
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2010, 02:02 PM
Hi Marijana,

I just answered your support ticket. I tried to reproduce the problem locally with the project that you sent me, but everything worked as expected. Please check the movie that I attached in the ticket and let me know if I missed something in the reproduction.

Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Oct 2010, 10:18 AM
Hello Georgi,

I answered supoort ticket with video capturing behaviour at my machine.

I beleive that problem occurs on IE running on Windows 7 as client machine.

Here we as well. could't reproduce it on XP machine.
Real project is in environment with all Win7/IE8 client machines.

Kind regards,
Marijana
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 26 Oct 2010, 09:24 AM
Hello Marijana,

My tests were done on Windows 7 PC as well, but I don't believe that the problem is related to the OS - our controls are OS independent. I repeated the test and as you will see in the attached (in the ticket) movie, I am still unable to reproduce the problem (the jumping of the browser's page is due to the fact that I am using 2 monitors and you have a code that moves the browser to position 0,0).
This leads me to believe that the reason for the problem might be related to the browser itself - try your page on a different machine with clean IE or disable any third-party addons that interfere with the page.

Regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Oct 2010, 04:15 PM
Georgi,

we have performed more tests here and was able to reproduce problem on clean windows 7 machine, as well as on XP with IE 8.

It seems if parent window is also maximized, and upon opening/maximizing rad window, if there are no scrollbars on parent window, there is a problem! If we force with resizing to eventually get scrollbars on parent window, there is no problem!

However, we can't also catch the rule when parent page get scrollbars and when not. For example, if same page we open addressing web site with ip address of server, there are scrollbars at parent window, if we address by server's computer name, there are no scrollbars sometimes, after maximizing radwindow.  But again. there is no rule!
 I understand that from security point of view there is difference, but why in appearance of page?
Nevertheless, intention is not to have scrollbars anyway.

The fact is that we are able to reproduce this problem on our place as well as on all machines at customer site, tells me that some non standard add ons can not be a problem. here. Must be something else. Can not be that we all have same non standard things installed.

Let's please try to find asap where is the problem, as it becomes urgent. to resolve it.

Thanks and kind regards,
Marijana
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Oct 2010, 03:52 PM
After some investigation, we found workaround for this issue.

It seems problem is with restricted zone defined for radwindow.
We use <div> for restricted zone. If height of <div> is not deifned, or defined with value > 97%, problem occurs!

So we specifed restricted zone to 97% height of desired area, and it works fine now.
Still don't understand why it doesn't work with 98% and 99%...

Marijana
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 29 Oct 2010, 02:52 PM
Hi Marijana,

It is good to know that you found a workaround for this problem. We are still unable to reproduce it locally, but we will continue our investigation and if something comes up, I will write here again. Indeed, it might has something to do with the scrollbars (as maximized RadWindow will try to hide the scrollbars on the page), but without investigating first, I cannot tell for sure.

Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team
Sebastien AUROUX
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Oct 2011, 09:06 AM
hello
I think we have a similar problem, did you correct the bug that leads the CPU to be 100% in the recent release ?

We will try in parallel the tips and tricks you advice.

thanks for your help
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 28 Oct 2011, 03:24 PM
Hi Sebastien,

We have not been able to reproduce this behavior reliably, so I cannot confirm this issue is fully resolved. We are, however, constantly striving to improve our code and for the last two years many fixes have been incorporated, so I suggest that you upgrade to the latest version anyway.

Regards,
Marin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
Victor
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Nov 2011, 07:13 PM
Hi,

We found the issue occurs only with IE (in our case IE8) and when we're working with an URL-DNS call... by example:

http://mysite.mydomain.com/myAPP/page.aspx

When we try to reproduce the issue in a developer context, by expample: http://localhost/myAPP/page.aspx the CPU's weird behaviour is not present.

Hope this tip helps you to find a solution to this issue

Regards,
Vïctor.

Sebastien AUROUX
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Nov 2011, 08:03 AM
Apparently when i set overflow:hidden to page's form the problem is solved.
thanks for the solution, I would spend my week trying to understand.
sebastien
Marin Bratanov
Telerik team
answered on 04 Nov 2011, 03:53 PM
Hello guys,

Thank you for the your time in investigating this scenario. I have forwarded this information to our dev team and I have also updated your Telerik points for your contribution. If a relation is found we will do our best to find and incorporate a fix for this.

All the best,
Marin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
Tags
Window
Asked by
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
Marijana Cubra
Top achievements
Rank 1