Keeping Up to Date
The Kendo UI for Angular packages are released frequently with bug fixes and new features.
The Kendo UI packages for Angular are released independently and their version numbers follow the rules of Semantic Versioning:
- A major version bump (X.y.z) signals a breaking change in the API. You might need to update application code or dependencies.
- A minor version bump (x.Y.z) signals the addition of new features. Existing code will continue to work but new features may require additional setup.
- A patch version bump (x.y.Z) indicates a bug-fix release. Typically, patches do not require changes to application code.
In the early stages of development, package versions start in the 0.y.z version range. Up to the 1.0 milestone, the API is considered unstable and minor versions may include breaking changes.
package.json file references a major version range—for example,
"@progress/kendo-angular-grid": "^3.0.0". To fetch the latest compatible Minor or Patch release, run
Commit the updated
package-lock.jsonfile in the source control.
To update to the most recent versions of the Kendo UI for Angular components, use
- To upgrade all Progress packages run:
npx npm-check-updates --upgrade --filter "/@progress.*/"
- To upgrade only Kendo UI for Angular packages run:
npx npm-check-updates --upgrade --filter "/@progress/kendo-angular.*/"
- In some cases, you may have to specify the location of the package.json file:
npx npm-check-updates --upgrade --filter "/@progress.*/" --packageFile ./package.json
A successful run will record the updated versions in
Upgrading between major versions might require you to change the application code.
The latest versions of the packages are compatible with the Active and LTS versions of Angular. To update to the most recent versions of the Kendo UI for Angular components, compatible with a legacy version of Angular, use the respective distribution tags:
- ng2 for Angular 2.x
- ng4 for Angular 4.x
- ng5 for Angular 5.x
- ng6 for Angular 6.x
- ng7 for Angular 7.x
For example, to update to the latest version of the Buttons package, compatible with Angular 7.x run:
npm install --save @progress/kendo-angular-buttons@ng7
To add a package to an existing Angular 7.x project, use
ng add @progress/kendo-angular-buttons@ng7
To generate checklists for upgrading between framework versions, use the Angular Upgrade Guide.