This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Win7 64 bits Q1 2010 installation error

7 Answers 251 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Piet Koole
Top achievements
Rank 1
Piet Koole asked on 12 Mar 2010, 10:32 AM
When I install the Q1 2010 WPF suite, the first time I start Visual Studio, I get an error. The second time there is no error but the theme's are not installed and it is not possible to use the designerarea. It constantly shows an error that it cant find the theme.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stefan Kamphuis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Mar 2010, 02:57 PM
I'm having the same issue I think.

When I create a new "RadControls WPF Application", the first thing that drew my attention was the empty Themes-tab on the new project wizard.
Then is open Window1.xaml and shows an error:
Error    1    '/Microsoft.Windows.Design.Developer;component/themes/GridAdorners.xaml' value cannot be assigned to property 'Source' of object 'System.Windows.ResourceDictionary'. Cannot create instance of 'GenericTheme' defined in assembly 'Microsoft.Windows.Design.Interaction, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.    Error at object 'ResourceDictionary_4'.    C:\Data\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\RadControlsWpfApp1\RadControlsWpfApp1\Window1.xaml    5    5    RadControlsWpfApp1

Tyrying to reload the designer shows this error:
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. 
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct& signature, IntPtr declaringType) 
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeConstructor(Object[] args, SignatureStruct signature, RuntimeTypeHandle declaringType) 
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) 
   at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) 
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Features.FeatureManager.FeatureConnectorEntry.AttemptActivate() 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Features.FeatureManager.FeatureConnectorEntry.OnRequirementsChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.RequirementValidator.OnRequirementChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.RequirementSubscription.OnRequirementChanged() 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.RequiresContextItemAttribute.RequireContextItemSubscription.OnContextItemChanged(ContextItem item) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.SubscribeContextCallback.Invoke(ContextItem item) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.EditingContext.DefaultContextItemManager.OnItemChanged(ContextItem item) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.EditingContext.DefaultContextItemManager.SetValue(ContextItem value) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Interaction.DesignerView.set_Context(EditingContext value) 
   at MS.Internal.Designer.SimpleViewManager.get_View() 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Documents.MarkupDocumentManager.get_View() 
   at MS.Internal.Host.PersistenceSubsystem.get_DocumentView() 
   at MS.Internal.Host.Designer.get_View() 
   at MS.Internal.Designer.VSDesigner.Load() 
   at MS.Internal.Designer.VSIsolatedDesigner.VSIsolatedView.Load() 
   at MS.Internal.Designer.VSIsolatedDesigner.VSIsolatedDesignerFactory.Load(IsolatedView view) 
   at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedDesigner.BootstrapProxy.LoadDesigner(IsolatedDesignerFactory factory, IsolatedView view) 
   at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedDesigner.BootstrapProxy.LoadDesigner(IsolatedDesignerFactory factory, IsolatedView view) 
   at MS.Internal.Host.Isolation.IsolatedDesigner.Load() 
   at MS.Internal.Designer.DesignerPane.LoadDesignerView() 

Unable to cast object of type 'MS.Internal.NamedObject' to type 'System.Windows.Input.Cursor'. 
   at MS.Internal.Interaction.DesignerResources.GetCursor(ResourceKey key) 
   at MS.Internal.GridControl.GridPanelAdorner..ctor(Grid grid) 
   at MS.Internal.GridControl.GridDesigner..ctor(ModelItem gridItem) 
   at MS.Internal.GridControl.GridDesigner.GetDesigner(ModelItem gridItem) 
   at MS.Internal.GridControl.AlwaysVisibleGridAdornersProvider.Activate(ModelItem item, DependencyObject view) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Interaction.AdornerProvider.InvokeActivate(EditingContext context, ModelItem item, DependencyObject view) 
   at MS.Internal.Features.AdornerProviderFeatureConnector.FeatureProvidersAdded(ModelItem item, IEnumerable`1 extensions) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.Features.PolicyDrivenFeatureConnector`1.UpdateFeatureProviders() 
   at MS.Internal.Features.PolicyDrivenToolFeatureConnector`1.UpdateCurrentTool(Tool newTool) 
   at MS.Internal.Features.PolicyDrivenToolFeatureConnector`1.<.ctor>b__0(Tool newTool) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.ContextItemManager.SubscribeProxy`1.SubscribeContext(ContextItem item) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.EditingContext.DefaultContextItemManager.Subscribe(Type contextItemType, SubscribeContextCallback callback) 
   at Microsoft.Windows.Design.ContextItemManager.Subscribe[ContextItemType](SubscribeContextCallback`1 callback) 
   at MS.Internal.Features.PolicyDrivenToolFeatureConnector`1..ctor(FeatureManager manager) 
   at MS.Internal.Features.AdornerProviderFeatureConnector..ctor(FeatureManager manager) 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Greetz,
Stefan

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 12 Mar 2010, 07:15 PM
Hello Stefan Kamphuis,

The Themes tab is empty as in WPF there are no separate .DLL's  for the themes, they are in the control assemblies. In Silverlight there are different separate Theme DLL's that will appear in this tab.

Now to your second question. We are aware of this problem.  As we are improving our VS2010 design time but we are still not providing separate suites for VS2010 and VS2008 we have broken VS2008 design time. In order to fix this we have provided separate Design assemblies for VS2008 . You can download them from your account:  http://www.telerik.com/downloads.aspx?fileid=10231&dispkey=True. You need to replace your current design assemblies with this one in order not to get this error anymore. More info you can find in the ReadMe.txt file in the downloaded zip.

Sorry for the caused inconvenience, this problem will not be present in next release.

Regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
denis curtis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Mar 2010, 05:31 AM
Had the same issue!
Had no any chance to try any smooth installation of Telerik products, either Silverlight nor WPF always make troubles...
Moreover, last time when I uninstalled 2009q3 products, this uninstallation destroyed model table in system database (SQL Express). So I needed to re install the whole instance from backup after that. That's not funny have such problems....
Alan Cordner
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Mar 2010, 05:05 PM
I posted the same issue here: http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/wpf/general-discussions/wpf-window-fails-to-load-properly-in-designer.aspx

This fix resolved the design time problem for me on Windows Vista 32-bit VS2008.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 23 Mar 2010, 06:24 PM
Hi there,

We apologize for any caused inconvenience with that. It is definitely an omission on our side and we will keep on improving our installations with each next release to avoid any problems like that. In the mean time I want to assure you that we are more than willing to assist you with any problems you face so that you can achieve the desired results in a timely manner.

Thank you for all your understanding.

Regards,
Nick
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
denis curtis
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Mar 2010, 09:24 PM

This fix is really fixing the mentioned problem but exposes a new problem. It’s unable create a new Telerik WPF project any more after that. The error concerning the length of the i/o path which out of 260 (248 for directory) chars.

I was lucky to create a backup of original directory before apply fixes, so to create a project I restore the original dll’s in (with) original directory, create the project and then restore fixes back to be able work with the project. Tricky? Yes, all telerik controls are tricky J

denis
Stefan Kamphuis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Mar 2010, 09:34 PM
Nick,

I finally had some time to try your solution. Since I went back to VS2008 for this, it worked great.

Not sure about VS2010, but I was perfectly able to create a new RadControlsWpf Project using the template.

Thanks!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Piet Koole
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stefan Kamphuis
Top achievements
Rank 2
Boyan