This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS2010 CodedUI test wont see Telerik Controls

26 Answers 205 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Dan asked on 30 Jul 2010, 04:41 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to automate functional testing of a .NET 4, WPF client using the Telerik Radview control package.

I can record CodedUI tests just fine on the client. During playback, text entry halts on a text fields and the test times out and fails.
(Other WPF controls accept text just fine in the client during playback)

The text field is seen by the test tool because I used: "uIPART_ExtendedTextBoxEdit.DrawHighlight();" and can see the field highlighted.

Is there a patch that can be issued to allow this issue to be resolved?

Thanks,

Dan

26 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Yordanka
Telerik team
answered on 04 Aug 2010, 01:18 PM
Hello Dan,

We can confirm the problem and we will try to provide a solution in some of our future internal builds. Thank you for the feedback. I have updated your Telerik points.

Kind regards,
Yordanka
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Aug 2010, 08:17 PM
Yordanka,

What's the timeline on implementing this feature? Do you have a patch that is in the works you can send? I'll test it for you free of charge.
This is a critical road block for my client's application and we're dead in the water on automation efforts.

Thanks,

Dan
Yordanka
Telerik team
answered on 23 Aug 2010, 02:31 PM
Hello Dan,

We are currently investigating the issue and we will try to provide a solution for the next internal build this Friday. We will keep you informed on the issue status.
Please, excuse us for the inconvenience caused.

Best wishes,
Yordanka
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Aug 2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Yordanka

Please let me know Friday where I can pull down the build.
Daniel on the Telerik team has my work email or use my hotmail.

-Dan
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 31 Aug 2010, 09:12 AM
Hi Dan,

We are currently figuring out how to solve problem like yours and we would really appreciate it if you could send us the test project with the test that is failing in your case. If this is not convenient we would also be grateful if you could send us the any exception message that gets displayed during the failing test run.

Kind regards,
Milan
the Telerik team
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Aug 2010, 09:46 PM
Milan,

I can provide .sln, errors and test logs.
I've emailed a .zip to Daniel

Thanks,

Dan
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 06 Sep 2010, 10:05 AM

Hello Dan,

We have performed tests on all of our control for compatibility with Coded UI Tests in Visual Studio and there a few problem with some of them like RadGridView, for example. 

We will be working closely with Microsoft to resolve the issues but it is a bit difficult to give you an ETA. If you could provide us with a list of all controls that you are having trouble with we could focus on those controls and possibly fix those issues faster. Are there other problematic controls besides RadGridView?

Sincerely yours,
Milan
the Telerik team
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Sep 2010, 03:51 PM
Milan,

So far the only controls that work on playback are the checkbox and radio button.

The starting list of controls would be:
Drop down (combo box)
Text Box
All Labels (for assertions also)
Date Picker
Time Picker

Thanks,

Dan
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 13 Sep 2010, 01:48 PM
Hello Dan,

Thank you for your feedback! We'll definitely work on improving the support of built in Coded UI tests across all of our WPF controls. Unfortunately for the time being we cannot commit to any specific date or release the availability of full support for Coded UI tests.

Sincerely yours,
Hristo
the Telerik team
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Sep 2010, 02:34 PM
Hristo,

You mention there is no time frame to full support.
What about a time frame to partial support for the few controls mentioned?
The main reason I persist is If I keep telling my client I don't know, it's not useful to them.

Thanks, for the assistance

Dan
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 10:06 AM
Hi Dan,

To summarize the current support for Coded UI test:s:
- RadExpander, RadProgressBar, RadComboBox, RadMenu, RadContextMenu, RadMaskedTextBox, RadDataPager – supported
- RadGridView, RadTreeListView, RadDataFIlter, RadButtons, RadTreeView, RadNumericUpDown, RadChart and RadWindow are partially supported and simple scenarios can be played back correctly. Scenarios which involve editing are not supported.
- RadBook, RadTileView, RadOutlookBar, RadPanelBar, RadRibbonBar, RadTabControl, RadToolBar, RadColorPicker, RadRating, RadCarousel, RadDock, RadScheduler, RadCalendar, RadDateTimePicker are not supported for the time being.

We are doing our best to improve the Coded UI test for our Q3 2010 official release.

As for the Drop Down (combo box), Text box and All Label, please clarify do you refer to our controls or the standard ones.

Sincerely yours,
Hristo
the Telerik team
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Sep 2010, 11:12 PM
Hello Hristo,

To clarify which controls:
The check box and radio buttons are WPF (Not Telerik)
The Telerik Combo Boxes do work.
It's mainly the Telerik Labels and Text Boxes at this time.

Sorry for the confusion.

I've passed along the timeline you mentioned to my client.
Shooting for Q3 2010 and looking forward to the release.

Thanks, for the assistance!

Dan
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Nov 2010, 05:32 PM
Is it known at this time if our issues will be addressed with the Q3 2010 WPF release?

If it is known that they are not addressed, feel free to speak to that also.

Thanks,

Dan
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2010, 09:58 PM

Hello,

Just checking in to see if someone can provide a response to my last question from six days ago.

Our testing efforts are hinging on this outcome. 

Thanks,

Dan
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 10 Nov 2010, 09:18 AM
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, we were not able to focus much on the VS 2010 CodedUI tests for Q3 2010 release. Although there are some small improvements for the Tab controls we couldn't manage to include more. We'll do our best to have better news for Q3 2010 SP1 release.

Sincerely yours,
Hristo
the Telerik team
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Nov 2010, 05:33 PM
Hristo,

Is the PITS section of the Telerik site the main vehicle that dictates what is worked on via popular vote?

http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/wpf/2011-q1

If so, our issue hasn't been on the radar.

Thanks,

Dan
Veselin Vasilev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Nov 2010, 02:47 PM
Hi Dan,

The PITS system is a way for customers to create feature suggestions and vote for them. In addition, they can report bugs and check the progress of fixing them there too.
But it is not the only vehicle. We have internal plans which we will reveal when publishing the roadmap for the Q1 2011 release on our web site.

Regards,
Veselin Vasilev
the Telerik team
Browse the videos here>> to help you get started with RadControls for WPF
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jun 2011, 12:05 AM
Cool! 

This entire exercise was a tremendous waste of time.
Will tech-support remain this way?
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jun 2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Dan,

I am sorry to hear about your frustration while working with our controls.

Indeed we are a little behind with our UI Automation support. This is a result from some shifts in our development plans. I can assure you that we have increased the priority of the CodedUI tests support and we will do our best to introduce major improvements for our Q3 2011 official release.

Greetings,
Hristo
the Telerik team
Allen
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Aug 2011, 05:52 PM

We’ve also have come to learn that due to the lack of MSAA control support we will not be able to do the kinds of testing we need to do with codedui test or fastforward playback using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Test Professional.

Please include MSAA support for your WPF controls.

Here’s where we learned about the lack of support after opening a Premier Support incident with Microsoft.

http://www.edsquared.com/2011/02/01/ThirdParty+Support+For+Visual+Studio+Coded+UI+Testing.aspx

:-(
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 18 Aug 2011, 04:25 PM
Hello Allen,

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We will include your suggestion in our next internal development discussions.

Kind regards,
Hristo
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Christian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2015, 03:03 PM

Hi,

now it's time to update this post, because Visual Studio 2015 is out now and the coded UI tests doesn't always run yet.
I just want to "click" a radio button and get this error result after automated test run (see below).

Best regards
Christian

--------------------

Test Name:CodedUITestMethod1
Test FullName:CodedUITestProjectMBPM.CodedUITest1.CodedUITestMethod1
Test Source:C:\...\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CodedUITestProjectMBPM\CodedUITestProjectMBPM\CodedUITest1.cs : line 28
Test Outcome:Failed
Test Duration:0:00:15,5009331

Result StackTrace:
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Playback.Engine.IScreenElement.Check(Int32 nCheckUncheckFlag)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Playback.ScreenElement.Check()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.TechnologyElementPropertyProvider.SetRadioButtonState(UITestControl uiControl, ControlStates state)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.TechnologyElementPropertyProvider.SetState(UITestControl uiControl, ControlStates state)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.HtmlPropertyProvider.SetPropertyValue(UITestControl uiControl, String propertyName, Object value)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.UITestPropertyProvider.SetPropertyValueWrapper(UITestControl uiControl, String propertyName, Object value)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.UITestControl.SetPropertyValue(String propertyName, Object propertyValue)
 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.Playback.MapAndThrowComException(COMException innerException, IPlaybackContext context)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.Playback.MapAndThrowException(Exception exception, IPlaybackContext context)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.Playback.MapAndThrowException(Exception exception, String actionName, UITestControl uiControl)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.Playback.MapAndThrowException(Exception exception, String actionName, Object parameterValue, UITestControl uiControl)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.UITestControl.SetPropertyValue(String propertyName, Object propertyValue)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.UITestControl.SetPropertyPrivate(String propertyName, Object value)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.UITestControl.<>c__DisplayClass180_0.<SetProperty>b__0()
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.CodedUITestMethodInvoker.InvokeMethod[T](Func`1 function, UITestControl control, Boolean firePlaybackErrorEvent, Boolean logAsAction)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.UITestControl.SetProperty(String propertyName, Object value)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITesting.HtmlControls.HtmlRadioButton.set_Selected(Boolean value)
   at CodedUITestProjectMBPM.UIMap.Eingangskanalpersönlichauswählen() in ...\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CodedUITestProjectMBPM\CodedUITestProjectMBPM\UIMap.Designer.cs:line 65
   at CodedUITestProjectMBPM.CodedUITest1.CodedUITestMethod1() in C:\...\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\CodedUITestProjectMBPM\CodedUITestProjectMBPM\CodedUITest1.cs:line 35
Result Message:
Test method CodedUITestProjectMBPM.CodedUITest1.CodedUITestMethod1 threw exception: 
Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.FailedToPerformActionOnHiddenControlException: Cannot perform 'SetProperty of Selected with value "True"' on the hidden control. Additional Details: 
TechnologyName:  'Web'
ControlType:  'RadioButton'
TagName:  'INPUT'
Id:  'txtEingangsart_Editor_persönlich'
Name:  'txtEingangsart_Editor'
 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0xF004F002

Ivan Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 27 Aug 2015, 03:11 PM
Hello,

Can you please confirm which Telerik controls you are testing? By mentioning radio button, do you mean RadRadioButton? Do you have reference to our CodedUI extensions assembly: Telerik.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.ExtensionsCore, or you are testing only level 1 functionality? If you are using this assembly, with Q2 SP we released a new version of it that targets VS2015.

Regards,
Ivan Ivanov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Christian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2015, 03:44 PM

Hello Ivan,

thank you for your fast reply!
because your components are third party in the solution we work on, I have to ask our vendor which version of telerik components they are using. But the screenshot could help you to identifie the radio button. So, yes, we are testing only level 1 functionality and want to automate our tests. From where can I get the assembly you mentioned? We just want to test the solution, we do not have the code of this one. Can I download a NuGet package, which solves the problem for the coded UI tests? I've read an articel which said, that there is a problem wis the WPF MSAA support in your components, but you are not the only ones. Here is a list of technique and vendor problems with components:

http://www.edsquared.com/2011/02/01/ThirdParty+Support+For+Visual+Studio+Coded+UI+Testing.aspx

What can we do? If you want to take a look on the solution, we can make a NetViewer meeting tomorrow. Please contact me if you want to do so. Don't forget the screenshot attachment.

Best regards
Christian

Christian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Aug 2015, 08:53 AM

Hi Ivan,

our vendor said it's version 2013.2.717.35 of the Telerik.Web.UI. And yes, it's the RadRadioButton component, too.
Is there any way to test them with MTM 2015 or VS2015 coded UI tests?

Best Regards
Christian

Ivan Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 31 Aug 2015, 09:56 AM
Hello,

As far as I can see from the last information that you provided, you are using the Telerik components for ASP.NET AJAX. Can you please open a new thread in the APS.NET forum, as this thread already contains a discussion about WPF?

Regards,
Ivan Ivanov
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Yordanka
Telerik team
Dan
Top achievements
Rank 1