VS2008 cannot display a RadWindow in designer

6 posts, 0 answers
  1. Oliver
    Oliver avatar
    263 posts

Posted 05 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Hi,

my VS2008 designer cannot display one of my RadWindow, I see only a white square and in my output window I have the following error:

Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.RichTextBoxUI.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Documents.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Docking.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.ScheduleView.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.2.712.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.2.712.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.2.712.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.2.712.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Documents.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Docking.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Controls.RichTextBoxUI.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.Failed to instantiate type Telerik.Windows.Controls.Design.Common.MetadataRegistrationBase during IRegisterMetadata load for metadata assembly Telerik.Windows.Documents.VisualStudio.Design, Version=2011.3.1220.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7.

2. Georgi
    Admin
    Georgi avatar
    364 posts

Posted 09 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Hello Oliver,

Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the described error. I have attached a video of my RadWindow.
     You can open it with every web browser.

Can you, please tell me more about your window (specific changes or improvements you have made).
    Simple project or video can help a lot.

Kind regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

3. Oliver
    Oliver avatar
    263 posts

Hi,

this behavour is not systematic with any RadWindow :( In the pas few days, I think I found something... This behavour started since I upgraded Telerik. I just remove and redo all references to Telerik in my project and everything becomed normal :)

Actually, we VS2008 and Visual SourceSafe 6.0. In our solution folder, we have a folder name SDK who contain all Telerik DLL., When we upgrade Telerik using the upgrade wizard in VS, we uncheck all suggested projects to upgrade (if we do not uncheck all project, all references after the upgrade will reference into c:\Program files... folder), we download the package and copy all new DLL into our SDK folder then we restart VS to reload the solution.

After that, if I check all me reference in VS, I can see that all references have the new version but I start having some designer trouble with some RadWindow. If I remove and redo all Telerik references, the problem dissapear.

Hiop this help ;)

Thank's
  4. Georgi
    Admin
    Georgi avatar
    364 posts

Hello Oliver,

Thank you for the detailed information. Thanks to you we are close to finding the core of the problem.

The problem could come from difference in the versions of the controls DLL files and their design DLLs.

Can you please make sure that  you have also copied the design DLLs. They usually are located in C:\Program Files \Telerik\RadControls for Silverlight Q3 2011 BETA\Binaries\Silverlight\design , but when you use the upgrade wizard the new DLLs are saved in %appdata%\Telerik\Updates (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Telerik\Updates) folder.

Those kind of problems sometimes can be fixed when you delete the content of the "Bin" and "obj" folders of your project ( VS should be closed) and reload the project.

Regards,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

5. Oliver
    Oliver avatar
    263 posts

Hi,

PS: We develop in WPF not in Suilverlight :)

We copy the entire folder content from where the Telerik Upgrade is to our SDK folder and all Telerik reference in our solution was made directly from our SDK folder. We DO NOT copy the upgrade folder content into "C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for WPF Q2 2011\Binaries\WPF". The existing files in "C:\Program Files\Telerik\RadControls for WPF Q2 2011\Binaries\WPF" are the initial installation files.

Thank's
  6. Georgi
    Admin
    Georgi avatar
    364 posts

Posted 10 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Hello Oliver,

I am sorry for the Silverlight - WPF misunderstanding. I was testing on WPF all along, just gave you the Silverlight folder path for example.

Finally I was able to get some error that looks like the one you described. Like you said when you remove and redo the Telerik references the problem disappears.

If you look closer in the error you send me, you will see that there are different versions of some DLLs ( Controls.ScheduleView,  .... .Controls, ...... .Input and .Navigation are version 2011.2.712.35 and all others are version 2011.3.1220.35 ).This could mean that the error comes from the difference between these versions.

It seems like Visual Studio sometimes gets old versions of DLLs. Maybe they are stored in some old cash and the problem comes from there. And that is why when you remove and redo the Telerik references the problem disappears.

What you can do is uninstall the old version of the controls (WPF Q2 2011). After that you will need to remove and add the DLLs just one more time for a project (should not happened again). If you need the old DLLs you can download only the hotfix (DLLs only) from here.

You can see more ideas on how to fix it here.

If this doesn't work or if you have some follow-up questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

All the best,
    Georgi
    the Telerik team