This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS 2017 throws about 10 messages that Telerik libs can't be loaded at startup

4 Answers 46 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
wisekat
Top achievements
Rank 1
wisekat asked on 16 Feb 2018, 08:21 AM

I installed the demo of Telerik's UI WinForms components and then removed it on one Win10 pc with VS 2017 Community Edition. After removal, my instance of VS started to show about 10 message boxes telling me that various Telerik assemblies like Telerik.WinControls.VSPackage.2018.1.115.1 cannot be loaded at startup. How to clear all remnants of Telerik extensions left by the uninstaller?

Attached is the corresponding part of the VS startup log (the ActivityLog.xml file from the VS folder).

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 20 Feb 2018, 03:24 PM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

Although it is extremely rare, sometimes Visual Studio does not remove the extensions completely. In these cases you have to remove them manually. Here is how to remove the extensions:

1. Launch Visual Studio 2017.
  2. Launch Extensions and Updates (Tools | Extensions and Updates...).
  3. Remove all Telerik extensions (if they still appear installed). The remove action will be scheduled and will take place after you close Visual Studio.
  4. Close Visual Studio and complete the scheduled actions.
  5. Remove the extensions folders. You can find the exact folders in the activity log.

Please let me now if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
wisekat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Feb 2018, 09:50 AM
[quote]
  1. Launch Visual Studio 2017.
  2. Launch Extensions and Updates (Tools | Extensions and Updates...)

[/quote]

This was one of the first things I did after uninstalling the demo. My Extensions and Updates dialog did not show anything related to Telerik.

[quote]

5. Remove the extensions folders. You can find the exact folders in the activity log.

[/quote]

This was a question for you. Let's say I see the following full path in the ActivityLog:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_8ab640ac\Extensions\jzrjzsqf.gf0\Telerik.WinControls.Converter.VSPackage.2018.1.115.1.dll

But the folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_8ab640ac\Extensions\jzrjzsqf.gf0\ does not exist on my pc. Obviously, VS gets this filename and folder path from another source. Where is this source located?

Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 21 Feb 2018, 04:11 PM
Hi,

Visual Studio 2017 uses its own private registry to store this king of information - C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_8ab640ac\privateregistry.bin. Removing this file should resolve the issue on your side. The file will be auto-generated by Visual Studio once it is launched.

Note: You if choose to delete the file your personal preferences regarding the Visual Studio IDE environment will be reset to the default ones and you may need to set up them in the Options dialog.

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik
Try our brand new, jQuery-free Angular components built from ground-up which deliver the business app essential building blocks - a grid component, data visualization (charts) and form elements.
wisekat
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Feb 2018, 04:47 PM

Thank you - now I understand why I could not find any places with Telerik traces using file contents search in Total Commander and full registry search. I thought that it could be a cache or another bin registration info that only VS can decipher.

I was going to use your advice today but suddenly discovered that my instance of VS no longer tries to load any Telerik assembly at startup. I think it happened after upgrading to the latest version 15.5.7, which was done with the administrator privileges. I already tried to launch VS with admin rights, and as I saw, some problem Telerik entries were cleared by VS itself in this mode. It seems, VS can heal itself in the admin mode :)

Thank you again for your last answer. In the future, I will know what to do to fix similar issues.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
wisekat
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vesko
Telerik team
wisekat
Top achievements
Rank 1