This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

VS 2008 Crashing on report designer after upgrade to Q1 2013

11 Answers 142 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jon asked on 21 Feb 2013, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I'm getting a crash on my install. This has happened straight after the upgrade to Q1 2013.  I can access the code behind for a reporyt and work on that however as soon as I start the designer and click on a report object VS 2008 falls over.  I've got the DEVENV.log file and shown below although it seems very concise for a log file.  Could the "Assembly resolution failed" lines be causing this?

Regards,

Jon

Entering constructor for: Telerik.CommonPackage.Telerik_CommonPackagePackage
Entering Initialize() of: Telerik.CommonPackage.Telerik_CommonPackagePackage
Entering constructor for: Telerik.VSX.UserSettingsPackage.UserSettingsPackage
Entering Initialize() of: Telerik.VSX.UserSettingsPackage.UserSettingsPackage
Entering constructor for: Telerik.Web.UI.VSPackage.VSPackage
Entering Initialize() for: Telerik.Web.UI.VSPackage.VSPackage
Entering constructor for: Telerik.WinControls.VSPackage.VSPackage
Entering Initialize() for: Telerik.WinControls.VSPackage.VSPackage
Entering constructor for: Telerik.Reporting.VsPackage.VsPackage
Entering Initialize() of: Telerik.Reporting.VsPackage.VsPackage
ToolboxInstaller::GetVsVersion VS RegistryRoot HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.UserSettings.2013.1.219.0.XmlSerializers, Version=2013.1.219.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.UserSettings.2013.1.219.0, Version=2013.1.219.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.VSX.2013.1.219.0.XmlSerializers, Version=2013.1.219.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.VSX.2013.1.219.0, Version=2013.1.219.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.UserSettings.2013.1.215.0.XmlSerializers, Version=2013.1.215.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.UserSettings.2013.1.215.0, Version=2013.1.215.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.VSX.2013.1.215.0.XmlSerializers, Version=2013.1.215.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Assembly resolution failed: Telerik.VSX.2013.1.215.0, Version=2013.1.215.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4
Entering constructor for: Microsoft.VisualStudio.ShellConfig.ShellConfigPackage
Entering Initialize() of: Microsoft.VisualStudio.ShellConfig.ShellConfigPackage

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Petio Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Feb 2013, 01:27 PM
Hello Jon,

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. We've managed to reproduce it locally and we will do our best to fix it for one of the upcoming internal builds. We've updated your Telerik points as appreciation for bringing this to our attention.

For now our suggestion is to use VS2010 or higher where everything works as expected or downgrade if you do not have any other VS versions.

Greetings,
Petio Petkov
the Telerik team

See what's new in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013. Register for the March 4 webinar to witness the impressive new visualizations in Telerik Reporting. Just for fun, 10 webinar attendees will be randomly selected to win a Telerik T-shirt and a $50 Gift Certificate to ThinkGeek. Register now! Seats are limited!

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Feb 2013, 01:30 PM
Many thanks, any estimate of time frame (days or weeks)?

Yeah I reverted to the last 2012 build and all was fine again as I only have 2008 - if it ain't broke why fix it (and pay MS silly money for nothing!)

Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Jon

Petio Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Feb 2013, 06:34 PM
Hello,

We are working on the issue and the fix will be available in the next internal build, which will be released till the end of next week.

Kind regards,
Petio Petkov
the Telerik team

See what's new in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013. Register for the March 4 webinar to witness the impressive new visualizations in Telerik Reporting. Just for fun, 10 webinar attendees will be randomly selected to win a Telerik T-shirt and a $50 Gift Certificate to ThinkGeek. Register now! Seats are limited!

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Mar 2013, 02:47 PM
Hi Petio

I've installed the internal build and it works almost properly now.  

I get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when loading a report now.  This happens every time the report designer page is loaded and for both old and new reports.

Once the error has been clicked past I can work on the report with no crashes.  

Is this a known issue?

Regards

Jon

Petio Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Mar 2013, 02:33 PM
Hello Jon,

Could you please close all opened report definition and try restarting the Visual Studio? 
If the error still appears after that, please send us a sample to debug on our end. Additionally we will appreciate if you record a short video that show the exact steps you follow to reproduce the error. For this you can use a free tool such as Jing.

Greetings,
Petio Petkov
the Telerik team

Telerik Reporting Q1 2013 available for download with impressive new visualizations. Download today from your account.

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2013, 02:44 PM
Hi Petio,

No I came out of VS last night and on going back in the error seems to have disappeared.  So it seems to have started after an upgrade from the Q3 2012 version to the latest internal build and was only present while VS was running following the upgrade.  Worth noting that while it was present I went in to amend the version  number of my project and on the view of the project properties page the same error appeared several times.  OK now though...

Regards,

Jon
Chavdar
Telerik team
answered on 27 Mar 2013, 01:04 PM
Hi,

It is great to hear that the issue has disappeared after restarting Visual Studio. Sometimes this is a necessary step as Visual Studio caches various parts of the project and is not aware of the upgrade process. If you are able to reproduce this problem again, it will be great if you can send us a screenshot, a short video or the entire project to test locally.

All the best,
Chavdar
the Telerik team

Telerik Reporting Q1 2013 available for download with impressive new visualizations. Download today from your account.

Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Apr 2013, 07:24 PM
I am having a very similar problem with VS2008 designer and preview crashing often after Q1 2013 update.  I really needed to upgrade to get the IE 10 support but now don't know what to do.  Should I install the internal build knowing I will need to use this for production purposes and not just dev/testing?
Milen | Product Manager @DX
Telerik team
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 11:58 AM
Hello Jim,

Install the latest internal build and see if the problem persists. If it does please open a support ticket where you may attach a VS log and exact steps in order to help us identify the issue. Keep in mind the we will release an official Service Pack release in a week or two.

Kind regards,
Milen
the Telerik team

Have you tried the new visualization options in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013? You can get them from your account.

Ashish
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Apr 2013, 01:06 PM
Have you provide the fix for this issue? I am also facing same issue even I have installed the exe from below given URL

http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/windows-phone/vs-extensions/telerik-visual-studio-extensions-common-crash.aspx

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Apr 2013, 01:10 PM
I'm running the latest release and haven't had any issues.

I have done a clean solution recently too so give that a whirl and double check that you've upgraded the solution to the new version.

Otherwise I suggest you start a new thread as this one is fixed.....

Cheers

Jon
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Petio Petkov
Telerik team
Jon