This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio stopped responding for extension Progress Telerik UI for WinForms 2020.2.612.1

4 Answers 505 Views
Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Eric Moreau
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Eric Moreau asked on 30 Jun 2020, 12:31 PM

Hi

Every day, I get an error when I try to open the designer of a form in VS2019.

The error says: Visual Studio stopped responding for 22 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for WinForms 2020.2.612.1 might help.

I have tried a few things like "Lauch Toolbox configurator" which seems to solve the issue for the day but the next day (after a reboot of the computer), the same error is thrown again.

How can I solve the issue and improve the performance at the same time (because showing a form in the designer takes a while)?

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jul 2020, 08:17 AM

Hello Eric,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback.

The described behavior looks like a known performance issue. We plan to fix it in the upcoming release. Until then you can disable the extension form Extensions -> Manage Extensions -> Installed. Disabling the extension will only remove the Telerik sub-menu from the Extensions menu. You still will be able to work with the toolbox and the designer.

Could you please confirm that the proposed solution resolves the problem or the problem seems to be in the designer?

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik

Progress is here for your business, like always. Read more about the measures we are taking to ensure business continuity and help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our thoughts here at Progress are with those affected by the outbreak.
Eric Moreau
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 01 Jul 2020, 11:54 AM

Hi

Disabling the extensions does fix the time out and the form designer opens much faster.

Will it be solved in the next release? Any ETA?

Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jul 2020, 01:05 PM

Hello Eric,

Thank you for confirming that. As I mentioned, we plan to fix it in the next release of the extension. This release has not exact date. It is likely to happen in a month or two.

Have in mind that we are observing scenarios causing performance issues that looks like the case described here. However, to be sure that your case will be resolved, I would recommend that you created a support ticket to share logs, dump files and additional information.

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik

Progress is here for your business, like always. Read more about the measures we are taking to ensure business continuity and help fight the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our thoughts here at Progress are with those affected by the outbreak.
Kieam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 28 Nov 2023, 03:51 AM

Hello Vesko,

I use Telerik Version 2023.2.809.64 .The problem still exists, and I have disabled the extension. However, the issue is that it randomly occurs with extensions related to Telerik components. Should I disable all of them, and what does that extension do? Because sometimes it may affect the project I am currently developing.

Re grads,

Siwakorn

Vesko
Telerik team
commented on 29 Nov 2023, 05:01 PM

Hi Kieam,

We introduced significant performance improvements in version 2023.3.1110.93. You can check if you have pending updates of the extensions in Visual Studio.

In general, if you don't use the Telerik menu commands, you can disable or uninstall the extensions. You can find more information about the extensions in the product documentation here.

Tags
Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Eric Moreau
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Answers by
Vesko
Telerik team