This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual 2008 SP1 Error with Internal Build 1412

10 Answers 111 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
David Cecil
Top achievements
Rank 1
David Cecil asked on 16 Feb 2010, 09:19 PM
Hello,

When I "upgrade" the controls to the 1412 version, specifically, Telerik.Windows.Data I receive the following error and I'm unable to view the window in design view.

Error 1 '/Microsoft.Windows.Design.Developer;component/themes/GridAdorners.xaml' value cannot be assigned to property 'Source' of object 'System.Windows.ResourceDictionary'. Cannot create instance of 'GenericTheme' defined in assembly 'Microsoft.Windows.Design.Interaction, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Error at object 'ResourceDictionary_4'.

Please note I'm using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .NET 3.5 SP1.  This appears to be similar to an issue found in the WPF Toolkit - http://blogs.msdn.com/delay/archive/2010/01/19/sometimes-it-takes-a-village-to-solve-a-problem-workaround-for-a-visual-studio-2008-design-time-issue-with-the-wpf-toolkit-when-blend-3-is-installed.aspx.

I also have Blend 3 installed and the error doesn't happen in Blend.

Kind regards,

David

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 18 Feb 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi David Cecil,

In the same blog post you can find a workaround:

To resolve this issue, use the following workaround:

From an account with elevated/administrative permissions, in the WPF Toolkit June 2009 install directory on the machine (typically "C:\Program Files\WPF Toolkit\v3.5.40619.1"):

1. Rename System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design.dll to System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design.4.0.dll
  2. Rename System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design.pdb to System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design.4.0.pdb

Let us know if this helps you.

Best wishes,
Hristo
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
David Cecil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Feb 2010, 05:06 PM
Hello,

I had tried that, but it wasn't an issue with the WPF Toolkit, the problem was caused when I added the Telerik dlls (1412 Internal Build) as references.  Once I remove the 1412 internal build controls and add back a previous version, it works fine.

Kind regards,

David
Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 23 Feb 2010, 07:56 AM
Hello David Cecil,

We have added Design assemblies for Visual Studio 2008/2010 and Blend 3 for the Beta release. By design Blend loads all design assemblies and with one from the toolkit it throws this error. The workaround below should fix it (at least it did it for me). The other solution is to uninstall WPF Toolkit.
Just to be sure are you using the Beta or some internal release - the title say build 1412 and ticket info is for 1314?

Regards,
Hristo
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Rob Peterson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Mar 2010, 07:18 PM
Hello - I am having exactly the same issue as described in this thread (the designer exception after loading the latest Telerik).  I tried the rename System.Windows.Controls.DataVisualization.Toolkit.Design file solution and also the remove windows WPF and reinstall Blend solution; neither worked.  Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
Rob

FYI: After posting I tried upgrading to Visual Studio 2010 RC and it fixed the problem...
Rosi
Telerik team
answered on 23 Mar 2010, 11:08 AM
Hi Rob Peterson,

We are aware of this problem.  As we are improving our VS2010 design time but we are still not providing separate suites for VS2010 and VS2008 we have broken VS2008 design time. In order to fix this we have provided separate Design assemblies for VS2008 . You can download them from your account:  http://www.telerik.com/downloads.aspx?fileid=10231&dispkey=True. You need to replace your current design assemblies with this one in order not to get this error anymore. More info you can find in the ReadMe.txt file in the downloaded zip.

Sorry for the caused inconvenience, this problem will not be present in next release.

Regards,
Rosi
the Telerik team

Joel Palmer
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Mar 2010, 08:15 PM
What if I download from the given link and put the .dlls out in the design folder and it still gives me this error?
Rosi
Telerik team
answered on 31 Mar 2010, 07:52 AM
Hello Joel Palmer,

I suggest you clean the solution ,close, reopen the Visual Studio and let us known if this helps. Also,does the problem exist if you delete the design assemblies?

All the best,
Rosi
the Telerik team

Joel Palmer
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 31 Mar 2010, 03:47 PM
I uninstalled this build and reinstalled the last good one on the day I reported it. 
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 01 Apr 2010, 08:32 AM
Hi Joel Palmer,

You can also use Latest Internal Build where you should not be getting this error. You can download it from the downloads section of your account.

Regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Brian Ensink
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Apr 2010, 06:41 PM
For the record, I had this same problem today when I installed Expression Blend 3.  I have the WPF Q1 2010 binaries installed.  Uninstalling Blend 3 "fixes" it but that is not really a solution since I need Blend.  I tried the renaming workaround mentioned in Delay's Blog, uninstalling the WPF Toolkit, and upgrading the WPF Tookit to the February release.  None of those things worked.  The only thing that worked in the end was the special build of VS2008 design assemblies.  Thanks.

Tags
GridView
Asked by
David Cecil
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Hristo
Telerik team
David Cecil
Top achievements
Rank 1