This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrade to Q2 2010 causing multiple errors

5 Answers 98 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Amy
Top achievements
Rank 1
Amy asked on 06 Oct 2010, 01:42 PM
I recently upgraded a report class library using the upgrade wizard.  At first I was getting parameter errors: Warning 2 '@PolicyNum' is not a valid ReportParameter name. C:\WebSites\ClassLibraryLR\ClassLibraryLR\InsuredName.Designer.vb 127 0 

On advice from another post on a different upgrading problem, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Q2 2010 reporting, but that didn't do anything.  So I tried deleting and re-adding the Telerik.Reporting reference.  I added some additional Reporting references (Telerik.Reporting.Service, Telerik.ReportViewer.WebForms and Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf), and now have this error:

Warning 2 The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes within it can be designed.  The designer inspected the following classes in the file:

LRSummary --- The base class 'Object' could not be loaded.  Ensure the assembly has been referenced and that all projects have been built.  0 0 

The parameter error is also happening on some of the other reports.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 08 Oct 2010, 03:53 PM
Hello Amy,

Since the Q1 2010 version, when the report enters in the processing stage, report parameter values are validated against their validation properties (no matter if the parameter is visible or not). If one or more parameters do not have valid values, processing is aborted.

The validation properties include the name, the type of the parameter, is it a single or multi-value, is its value among the available values (if such are defined), is null value allowed etc.

According to the error you received, the problem is with the name of the parameter. As explained in the Report Parameters help article, the name must be a valid identifier - may contain only digits (0-9), letters (a-z, A-Z), and underscore sign (_). Must begin with a letter or underscore. @ is not a valid character for a valid identifier and should be removed.

The second warning does not provide information about the exact problem. Close all report designers, rebuild the upgraded project and try opening it again. If the problem persists, check the provided stack trace for clues what might be wrong.

Generally when upgrading to newer versions of the product, it is hardly recommended that you review the release notes first, which contain all new features, fixes and breaking changes, so that you are aware of the problems that might occur during the upgrade.

Regards,
Steve
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Amy
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Oct 2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reply.  The parameter name was the problem.  Because it only happened after the upgrade, I was looking for upgrade problems first, and just came across the help article you mentioned today. 

I did take a look at the release notes (Q2 2010 and Q2 2010 SP1), but did not see the parameter name change anywhere.  I imagine you will get lots of questions about this from people using SQL as their data connections.  SQL's stored procedures default their parameter names as starting with the @ symbol:

<@Param1, sysname, @p1> <Datatype_For_Param1, , int> = <Default_Value_For_Param1, , 0>,

so I would imagine many people will keep those same conventions, as I did.  But I am up and running again, so thanks for the reply!
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 08 Oct 2010, 04:40 PM
Hi Amy,

We're glad you're up and running. Actually as noted in my previous post, the change came in Q1 2010, the item in question is "Added support for retrieving parameter's label as well as its value in expressions", which imposed the need for the report validation. It does not provide a direct hint that you would need to check your names, but in fact you would be surprised to know you are the 4th person to report params with @ character. Of course there might be many other that simply changed it without bringing it to our attention.

Greetings,
Steve
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Terry Webster
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2010, 08:38 PM
Make me number 5.  Also, note, that I was using Q1 2010 prior to this build and it allowed me to use @ in the parameter name.

How do I change the paramater name after I have already installed the upgrade?

Thanks,

Terry
Terry Webster
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2010, 09:17 PM
Got it working...nevermind.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Amy
Top achievements