Unable to update past 2023.1.117

1 Answer 96 Views
Button General Discussions Grid Menu TabStrip
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Bryan asked on 07 Sep 2023, 10:32 PM | edited on 07 Sep 2023, 10:42 PM

My company has three very large apps that are dependent on Kendo. I've been trying for several days to update the Kendo version in our largest app from version 2022.3.913. I was able to update with no problems to version 2023.1.117. But when I try to go beyond that, it's completely hosed. Worst of all is the use of icons. I can't make them work no matter what I do. We've been using .SpriteCssClass() to attach icons to buttons and menu items as well as using the k-icon k-i-xxx classes in grid item templates. None of that works anymore. None of the suggested fixes for this work with version 2023.2.829 either. I've tried telling the app to use font icons via KendMvc.Setup() in my Startup.cs and BaseController.cs files, neither of which worked. I installed both the FontIcons and SvgIcons NuGet packages, which at least allowed me to build the app. I was able to use the .Icon() method on a Button widget to use one if the SVG icons that I saw in an example, but nowhere on your site can I find a list of standard SVG icons like the list of font icons, so I wasn't able to find the icons I had been using. In addition to the complete inability to make icons work, the way you've changed font sizing for widgets has made the app look very different than before the update and has made various customizations we've made in our site.css file look very bad. Ditto for some random styling changes you've made for menu items and anchor tags in grid templates.

In short, you have really screwed us over and I don't know if we're going to be able to update past 2023.1.117. I see lots of others have had these same issues and I don't see you responding with any real solutions.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Anton Mironov
Telerik team
answered on 12 Sep 2023, 02:53 PM

Hello Bryan,

Thank you for the details provided.

Really sorry to hear how frustrating the update process was for the pointed projects.

Yes, you are perfectly correct - the FontIcons and the SvgIcons packages should be added manually.

I just tried to replicate the described behavior with the "k-icon k-i-xxx classes". Here is a dojo example with version "2023.1.117":

The following article provides information about the migration from Font Icons to SVG Icons if needed:

Overview of the Components Rendering changes:

The Overview article linked above contains a table with the updated components and links to their own appearance documentations articles, which explain the differences between the new and the old rendering in more detail. For example, the TextBox, as one of the components that had changes to its rendering, has its own Appearance article, with Old vs New Rendering and Visual Backwards Compatibility sections: 

We've added similar Appearance articles to the documentation of the other components that received new rendering and these articles explain the differences in the rendering. You can find comparisons between the old rendering and classes and the new rendering that uses the new classes in these Appearance articles per component. Refer to this table: https://docs.telerik.com/aspnet-mvc/styles-and-layout/components-rendering-overview#updated-components It lists the updated components and links to their respective Appearance documentations articles.

Some of the element and classes that were present in the old rendering of the affected components are no longer present. This means that, if you have custom CSS rules that use the old classes to override the default styles, these CSS rules should be revised according to the new rendering.

I hope this information helps. I am staying open if further information or assistance is needed. If you like - send me the issues one by one and I will try my best to resolve them.

Kind Regards,
Anton Mironov
Progress Telerik

Stay tuned by visiting our public roadmap and feedback portal pages. If you're new to the Telerik family, be sure to check out our getting started resources, as well as the only REPL playground for creating, saving, running, and sharing server-side code.

Tags
Button General Discussions Grid Menu TabStrip
Asked by
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Anton Mironov
Telerik team
Share this question
or