This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Theming

1 Answer 79 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Gary
Top achievements
Rank 1
Gary asked on 16 Sep 2009, 09:39 PM
I have an application that uses Telerik controls, standard WPF controls such as text boxes, and some third party controls from another vendor.  I want to give my customers the ability to customize colors, brushes, etc.  The problem is that the various toolkits are using different resource keys.  If I want to tell the customer how to change the rollover background brush for buttons, I have to tell him about three different resource keys, one for System.Windows.Controls.Button buttons, one telerik buttons, and one for buttons in the other 3rd party toolset.  I would rather document one resource key that the user sets in app.xaml and then have some startup code in my app that propagates the setting to the appropriate resource dictionaries for the various tookits.

How do I do that with Telerik controls?  Can I just store a value for the telerik resource key in the application resource dictionary?  Or do I have to store it somewhere else?

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kalin Milanov
Telerik team
answered on 23 Sep 2009, 11:43 AM
Hello Gary,

Although your idea for homogenize the resource naming in App.xaml I can see several potential issues with using Telerik controls. For one there haven't been a strong naming of resources as there are three main themes and two color variations of Office_Black theme. The themes themselves have different templates which further complicates the brush naming. In my opinion it is feasible to do that for one telerik theme only.

You should also be aware that the MS Toolkit and other 3rd party vendors have their own interpretation of who the templates should be organized and how styling of the controls is carried out so there are no guarantees that applying a brush taken from the telerik combo will behave properly when applied to a combo of another vendor.

To get you started I suggest you try and use a custom theme based on our default theme (attached to this reply) and explore the templates of the controls. You will notice that every template file contains a set of resources which you can use to extract in App.xaml.

Sincerely yours,
Kalin Milanov
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Gary
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kalin Milanov
Telerik team
Share this question
or