This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

StyleRule crashing VS2012

3 Answers 36 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
Steven asked on 24 Jan 2013, 03:36 AM
I'm cleaning up a large report and I changing allot of inline style into common StyleRules and now the IDE Freezes (Not Responding) when I try to close the designer.

The style rules are very simple with just a TypeSelector and something simple like BOLD or TextAlign Right.

I can save the file just fine, it just crashes on close.

I attaching a debugger, but it does not throw an error.

Is this a know issue or am I just lucky.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jan 2013, 02:32 PM
Hello Steven,

We have not been contacted with such a problem so far and you're the first person to report it, so we would need the stylesheet and report that cause the problem. Try enabling logging as described in the Visual Studio Problems help article and see if they contain more information.

All the best,
Steve
the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Feb 2013, 05:31 AM
I've verified it.

Attempting to cleanup allot of inline style, I created a set of StyleRules, but those style rules are causing an extreme slowness when closing the designer.

It kind of acts like Internet Explorer css expressions to where the increased number of matching items cause a magnitude of slowness.

I have a bunch of tables on my form and so I was removing them all to determine if any one of them was causing the issue.
This is the timeline to close the report in the designer.

[empty]  (0 seconds to close)
Tablix1 (2 seconds to close)
Tablix2 (3 seconds to close, 8 seconds to close with 2 tables)
Tablix3 (2 seconds to close, 16 seconds to close with 3 tables)
Tablix4 (1 second to close, 17 seconds to close with 4 tables)
Tablix5  (8 seconds to close, 42 seconds to close with 5 tables)

My .designer file is 1.75mb and has over 10 tables so Visual Studio actually freezes when closing and takes more than 10-20 minutes to return.

The report SAVES fine, so I don't really understand what is being processed when the document is closed.

My style rules are simply "Textbox.StyleName" selectors such as "value, caption, input", but there are a ton of textboxes on my Report.
When removing all the StyleRules, the close duration takes 1.5 seconds and even opens significantly faster.

I have so many textboxes, that just one Textbox StyleSelector will freeze my report on closing the file.

Is there a best practices for large reports and StyleRules?

I've tested it on a blank report where none of the textboxes contain a matching style name and I get the same result.

To recreate. Just create a [5 x 10] table and create about 10 different textbox StyleRules with the "StyleRule" { Type: TextBox, StyleName="Test_{1-10}" }.   Closing went from instantaneous to 8 seconds.

What is happening on CLOSE that does not happen on SAVE?

Thanks
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 21 Feb 2013, 09:21 AM
Hi Steven,

Can you first clarify what version of Visual Studio do you use and have you installed all available service packs for it?
We've created a sample project based on your instructions and locally the closing of the designer does not take more than a second.
Please, modify the sample or send us your own reproducing the issue, so we can test. We appreciate any effort to help us investigate this designer behavior.

Kind regards,
Stef
the Telerik team

See what's new in Telerik Reporting Q1 2013. Register for the March 4 webinar to witness the impressive new visualizations in Telerik Reporting. Just for fun, 10 webinar attendees will be randomly selected to win a Telerik T-shirt and a $50 Gift Certificate to ThinkGeek. Register now! Seats are limited!

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
Steven
Top achievements
Rank 1