This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Strange exception when refreshing report

5 Answers 61 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
ATeam
Top achievements
Rank 1
ATeam asked on 28 Sep 2010, 10:05 AM
Hello,

after refreshing a telerik report in our silverlight application, we get the error message, as shown in the attachment. We have tested if the exception occurs in the methods, which should deliver the data for the report, but that is not the reason. There no exception happened.

The exception message tells us, to look into the InnerException, but  I don't know how I should do this, cause the debugger didn't stop anywhere to read the InnerException.

Additionally I assigned a method to the BindingValidationError event, but the method isn't executed, when the exception occured.

So my question is, how can I get the InnerException or even better, how can i prevent this exception?

best regards

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
0
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 30 Sep 2010, 04:20 PM
Hi Dominik Fürst,

The exception thrown in the viewer is a generic one and it might be due to various reasons.

In order to get more information about the actual problem try the following:

  • show the Output window in Visual Studio and check whether there is an exception when you're running your application in debug mode.
  • access the .svc file directly in your browser to see if it reports any problems.
  • enable the CLR exceptions from Debug --> Exceptions menu in Visual Studio and run your project in debug.
Best wishes,
Steve
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
0
ATeam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Nov 2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Steve,

let me explain our Problem in more detail:
We want to show a telerik report in a silverlight application. This Report works well if we open the App the first time. The report shows correctly and we are able to refresh the data which should be displayed.
The Problem is, that after I had the Report open, do nothing and just wait about 30 seconds and then click refresh I got the exception. If I restart the App, the report is displayed correctly without exception. Furthermore this only happens on the production system.

When we try to remote debug the application, we recognize, that after the exception occoured , we don't stop anymore at the breakpoint in the code File which is executed on the webserver. We don't get any information from the output window or some kind of CLR Exception.

I think this could be some kind of session problem, but in our web.config we have set timeout="60000" of the sessionState. If also looked in the IIS Log Files but there is also nothing to find.
It seems that the problem occours between the our client code files (Silverlight) and the server code files, but between there is only the the "Telerik.Reporting.Service.ReportService" - WCF Service and I have no chance to get some more information where the problem exactly occours.

Is there a possibility to get more information from the service?

Kind Regards
Dom
0
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 09 Nov 2010, 05:12 PM
Hello Dominik,

Try setting the following attributes of the service basicHttpBinding to higher values: maxReceivedMessageSize, maxBufferSize, maxBufferPoolSize, receiveTimeout, sendTimeout, openTimeout and closeTimeout and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Steve
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
0
ATeam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2010, 02:29 PM
Hi Steve,

I increased the Values for receiveTimeout, sendTimeout, openTimeout and closeTimeout  to 10 Minutes and for maxReceivedMessageSize, maxBufferSize, maxBufferPoolSize to 2147483647 for the basicHttpBinding, but that doesn't help.

I've also tried to increase the same values for the webHttpBindigng, but the problem still exists!

Have you some more ideas?

Kind Regards,
Dom
0
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 16 Nov 2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Dominik,

Unfortunately we're out of ideas on this one. We've read the whole thread once again and believe that there must be something specific to your server that causes this. You can verify it by hosting your app in IIS on other machines including your dev machine. If this is a problem related to the WCF service, there should be others reporting the problem on the net.

Regards,
Steve
the Telerik team
See What's New in Telerik Reporting in Q3 2010 on Wednesday, November 17, 11am Eastern Time: Register here>>
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
ATeam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
ATeam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Share this question
or