I tried with the latest version and the problem appears to be much worse. It's not a specific sample project, it's how you test it. It took me awhile to find the right settings. For the sample project, just create a new project with a BingRestMapProvider using a Road map and your key. Nothing else needs to be done.
I used a virtual machine, but any machine will do. Change the TCP v4 properties for the network adapter to have fake settings for the address, gateway, and DNS. Starting the sample project will take 20-30 seconds.
If I use an OpenStreetMap provider, the software will open instantly.