This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Silverlight ReportViewer Causing Errors (In Blend and in Runtime)

3 Answers 35 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mike Gardner
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mike Gardner asked on 17 Dec 2009, 10:18 PM
We've spent the day trying to get the ReportViewer control in Telerik Reporting to work in our Silverlight application.

We've run into an issue. 
We hit this when trying to just place the viewer in a control to just workout how we'd like it placed on the page (didn't set any properties; just trying to style things).  We are getting the "AG_E_UNKNOWN_ERROR" error (XAML Parse Exception)

This is happening when viewing a control that contains the silverlight reportviewer.  We've included the following telerik assemblies in the Silverlight project: Telerik.ReportViewer.Silverlight, Telerik.Windows.Controls, Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input, Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation (we also have Telerik.Windows.Controls.Charting, Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView, Telerik.Windows.Controls.Scheduler, Telerik.Windows.Data, Telerik.Windows.Themes.Windows7).

The control doesn't render in Blend.

We have version 3.2.9.1211 of the Telerik reporting controls (what I believe is the most current release)
The other assemblies are version (Telerik Silverlight) 2009.3.1103.1030 (which I believe is about a release or so back from Oct.)

We're really scratching our heads over this because we can create a test project with all of our references, place the control on the page and open it (still doesn't show in Blend).  We've even gone through and placed the viewer in our applications constructs within the test application and it still works.  However, when we go to our application, remove all of our custom controls, and include the viewer on the "MainPage" it still errors.

I wish we could tell you more about the error, but it is cryptic.  Hopefully the included files will help.

Mike G.


3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
0
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Mike Gardner,

Unfortunately the provided information is insufficient for us to determine what might be the problem. The error is too generic and the stack trace does not really show what could be the culprit. Have you reviewed our documentation for the Silverlight viewer namely embedding the viewer in your page and styling it?:

You can also review the provided working sample Silverlight app within our examples which contains working code as well.

If still having problems, it would be best if you zip and attach a sample that we can run on our end. Once we review it, we would be able to provide you with more info.

Regards,
Steve
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
0
Mike Gardner
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry that the provided information is incomplete.  We tried about everything to narrow down as to what would be causing the problem.  We built a test/demo application just to see if we could issolate the issue.

We had version 2009.3.1103.1030 on our machines running with the latest reporting build.

We decided to upgrade our RadControls for Silverlight build to the latest as of this morning and the error is now no longer showing.  It seemed to be an issue with how the two different versions were utilizing each other.  The funny thing is that we could never reproduce this error in our test applications with the version numbers that were giving us the errors.

Oh, well.  Hopefully this will provide you some information regarding what this error is referring to and how to fix it in later releases.

Thanks,

Mike G.
0
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 03:38 PM
Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing this with the community.
Indeed the difference between the old RadControls for Silverlight assemblies and the Q3 SP1 ones is that we've added support for Telerik Themes and this is most likely what caused the errors. Apart from that we are unsure how the error was not reproducible in your test applications, but in any case the themes of the viewer were probably not working when you were with the old assemblies.

Thanks for the involvement once again.

Regards,
Steve
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mike Gardner
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
Mike Gardner
Top achievements
Rank 1
Share this question
or