This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Serialization error

11 Answers 120 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Matthew asked on 05 Jan 2011, 04:10 PM
Hello,

I recently put together a website in Sitefinity (3.6) on one or our development servers. Everything worked fine, but when I transferred it to our client's hosting it is giving me a serialization error. In particular, this occurs when I go to edit a page and it somehow has set Overlay back as default (although I used Custom). Nothing on the page is editable. When I try to change it back to Custom I get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Serialization error.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Serialization error.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[SerializationException: Serialization error.]
   Telerik.Personalization.Data.NolicsProvider.Set(String userName, String keyName, String moduleName, T value, Transaction transaction) +430
   Telerik.Personalization.Data.NolicsProvider.SaveModuleValue(String userName, String keyName, String moduleName, T value) +107
   Telerik.Personalization.Data.NolicsProvider.SaveModuleValue(String keyName, String moduleName, T value) +46
   Telerik.Personalization.Data.NolicsProvider.SaveGlobalValue(String keyName, T value) +40
   Telerik.Personalization.PersonalizationManager.SaveGlobalValue(String keyName, T value) +35
   Telerik.Cms.Web.UI.ToolBar.SelectSkin_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e) +113
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.ListControl.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e) +111
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.RaisePostDataChangedEvent() +134
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.DropDownList.System.Web.UI.IPostBackDataHandler.RaisePostDataChangedEvent() +10
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaiseChangedEvents() +165
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1485

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4206; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4209

The site is on a Rackspace cloud server. 

I'm lost as to what is causing this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jan 2011, 05:36 PM
Well, 

I changed this in the web.config file:

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="1000000" executionTimeout="1000"/>

to

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="51200"/>

back to the default.

Flushed my DNS and it is working perfectly now. 
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Jan 2011, 10:46 PM
Correction: The above did not fix the issue.

This is very strange. It goes away and comes back.
Ivan Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 07:26 AM
Hi Matthew,

Could you check whether you are running a build for .NET 3.5 on a server that uses ASP.NET 2.0. Currently your application pool uses .NET 2.0.

Kind regards,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 03:50 PM
Where could I check this and upgrade it? I'm guessing in the config file, but where exactly?

Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 03:51 PM
Also, the server is supposed to have support for ASP.NET 2.0 and 3.5
Ivan Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Matthew,

Here is a KB that you can use to check the exact version and its build number.

Best wishes,
Ivan Dimitrov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks. Here are the results:

Build that is returning the error:

3.7.2136.3        .NET 3.5

An existing webpage on the server using Sitefinity that is working properly:

3.6.1936.3        .NET 2.0

Unfortunately I'm new to the hosting (rackspace cloud) and somewhat new to Sitefinity. What are some steps I could use to fix this?
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 04:53 PM
Would it be helpful if I posted the web.config minus sensitive information?

It seems as though the 3.5 framework is being declared.
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 05:42 PM
Well I figured out why nothing was editable in overlay mode.

My contentplaceholders had 'whitespace'.

<asp:contentplaceholder blahblahblah </asp:contentplaceholder>

I had to remove the closing tags and replace with:

<asp:contentplaceholder blahblahbla />

But I still cannot switch from overlay edit mode to classic edit mode without getting the serialization error.

Is there something wrong with a script here or something?

Can I disable overlay mode somehow?
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe the best bet is just to disable overlay mode.

Is there a way to do this in the web.config?
Radoslav Georgiev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jan 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Matthew,

You can try setting the page editor mode to classic from web.config:
<cms defaultProvider="Sitefinity" pageExtension=".aspx" projectName="kb" disabled="false" pageEditorUIMode="Classic">

All the best,
Radoslav Georgiev
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Matthew
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ivan Dimitrov
Telerik team