This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Report Data is blank after upgrading Q3 2015 -> Q3 2016

4 Answers 82 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Keith
Top achievements
Rank 1
Keith asked on 07 Oct 2016, 12:44 PM

I have upgraded from Q3 2015 to Q3 2016 without errors.  Now any report that takes longer than 2-3 seconds to pull data does not display the data. If I click the refresh button on the report, the data populates.  This is happening with 20+ reports.

I am populating data programatically using a (table)_NeedDataSource event.  When the report initially loads, the need data source event is called, the data is retrieved, and the table's data source is set.  The report displays blank data, but the headers and other static report information shows.  When clicking the refresh button, the need data source event is NOT fired (as expected) but the report populates data just fine.

A summary of the events is here:

User presses retrieve report button.
Postback to button onclick event.
Report parameters are pulled and set from information on screen.
The following code is executed:

Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportProcessor reportProcessor = new Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportProcessor();
Telerik.Reporting.InstanceReportSource instanceReportSource = new Telerik.Reporting.InstanceReportSource();
Reports.Accounting.TestReport.TestReport tReport = new Reports.Accounting.TestReport.TestReport();

instanceReportSource.ReportDocument = tReport;
rptViewer.ReportSource = instanceReportSource;
rptViewer.RefreshReport();

The report is fired, the table's needdatasource event called, and a datatable is created, populated, and set as the table's datasource. 

The report viewer shows the generating report status and after 2-3 seconds it displays the header/footer of the report with no data.

At this time, I can press the refresh button and no postback occurs and no page scripts are ran.  The report then populates successfully after 6-7 seconds.

This does not happen on reports that pull in <2 seconds.  It seems to only be happening to reports that require 2+ seconds (approximate) to pull the data.

Is there some kind of time out or new function I'm missing in the report viewer control??

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Keith
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Oct 2016, 02:09 PM
Downgrading to Q2 2016 10.1.16.504 fixed my issue.  Something was added in Q3 that causes this behavior.  
Accepted
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 11 Oct 2016, 09:02 AM
Hi Keith,

In case you are using the old ASP.NET WebForms ReportViewer, and out-rpoc session state mode, please verify that all requirements in Design Considerations for Out-proc Session State are fulfilled.

Also verify that in events you are updating the processing element's DataSource, not the definition one's - Understanding Events. If it is a nested data item that you update, use its NeedDataSource event.

If you need further help, please post further details about the used Telerik Reporting version, viewer and its settings, and the report's code-behind.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Keith
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Oct 2016, 11:19 AM
Thank you for the insight.  Before upgrading to Q3 2016 I will convert all of my reports to the new HTML5 report viewer.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 11 Oct 2016, 02:04 PM
Hi Keith,

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need help.
Articles related to the HTML5 Viewer can be found in the online documentation and some KB articles here.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Keith
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Keith
Top achievements
Rank 1
Stef
Telerik team