This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q3 2011 upgrade problems

5 Answers 180 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
FRANCISCO C P RODRIGUES
Top achievements
Rank 1
FRANCISCO C P RODRIGUES asked on 17 Nov 2011, 03:00 PM
Hi,

I just installed the Q3 2011 and I'm having a lot of problems. My installation process was like this:
1. Uninstall prevous release (Q2 2011)
2. Install Q3 2011
3. Start VS - 2010
4. When I try to use the "Telerik|Radcontrols for WinForms|Upgrade Wizard" menu option I'm receive the following error message:
---------------------------
Microsoft Visual Studio
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
OK  

Any suggestions?

Francisco

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 18 Nov 2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Francisco,

Sorry for the inconvenience.

There is a rare case when some files remain from the previous installation and thus breaking the VSExtensions. I guess you might have experienced that exact problem. Could you please try the following steps in order to reinstall the Extensions?

1. Close all Visual Studio instances
  2. Use Windows Explorer to check the following two folders for "Telerik WinForms VSExtensions" subfolders and delete them:
    • %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Telerik
    • [VisualStudioInstallDir]\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik
    3. Open VS2010 and go to Tools -> Extension Manager. Go to the Online Gallery and in the Search field in the top right corner type Telerik.
    4. Download and install Telerik WinForms VSExtensions. Restart the studio if it prompts to.
    5. Try again to create new Telerik Project or to upgrade an existing project to the latest distibution.

Let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,
Aylin,
the Telerik team

Q2’11 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download (see what's new); also available is the Q3'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.

Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Nov 2011, 06:15 PM

Hi Vsxteam Aylin

Having similar issues  (Upgrade Wizard entry is missing) after deinstalling all previous Q2 Telerik Tools (without starting VS2010 in between) and Installing Q3 Winforms, then Reports and last Justcode.
  1. Nothing to delete in: %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Telerik
  2. But deleted everything in [VisualStudioInstallDir]\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik
  3. and reinstalled Telerik WinForms VSExtensions  (without Reporting...Justcode)

did it twice, but still no Upgrade project Menu item - but instead there is again the menu Report Item even so i did not install any vsxextension for Reporting.

Regards, Daniel

Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 21 Nov 2011, 06:09 PM
Hi Daniel,

Sorry for the troubles. Unfortunately I am not able to reproduce the issue, so I hope you could help me localizing the problem, answering the following questions:

• Do you have other VSExtensions packages for other Telerik products installed? 
  • If you do, could you check their version?
  • Did you reinstall the extensions using the Extension Manager?
  • Do you have RadControls for WinForms option under Telerik menu at all?
  • Could you provide us Telerik menu screenshot?

Kind regards,
Aylin,
the Telerik team

Q2’11 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download (see what's new); also available is the Q3'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.

Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Nov 2011, 09:46 AM

Hi Aylin

Uups, seems like you changed the upgrade Method. In Q1-2011 there was an "Upgrade project" Entry under Programms/Telerik/Tools which was missing.

In VS2010 with Q3 there was a entry "Convert to Telerik-Winform" but nothing like Upgrade.... But after I've installed Q3 on another PC I found that converting a Winform App to Telerik-Winform worked also and after I opend a larger project with lots of Q2 Telerik forms a new menu entry "Upgrade Wizard" in VS2010 appeared, which allowed me to sucessfully upgrade my project.

Thanks anyway
Daniel

Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 22 Nov 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Daniel,

Indeed, the Project Update Utility option is no longer available from Q3 2011.

Instead of it you could use the Upgrade Wizard which is included in the WinForms installer as part of our Visual Studio Extension for WinForms. VSExtensions are intended to ease the project creation with RadControls for WinForms and further configuration and RadControls upgrade. You could find more information about the Extensions here.

On the following article you could find information how to use the Upgrade Wizard: Visual Studio Extensions - Upgrade Wizard.

Best Regards,
Aylin,
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
FRANCISCO C P RODRIGUES
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Aylin
Telerik team
Daniel
Top achievements
Rank 1