This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Possible bug: Telerik makes VS2019 settings file huge

5 Answers 134 Views
Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ioannis
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ioannis asked on 04 Feb 2019, 11:16 PM
So, I've been saving my Visual Studio Settings for years now, and the usual size  of the file is ~300kb
On Visual Studio 2019, when exporting the settings, the file created is now 20MB, a substantial difference to say the least.

Now, I can't confirm that this is Telerik's doing, but upon inspecting the endless lines of XML, one thing has remained the same... Telerik references.

You can access a zipped version of it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/51ves9qq7ui02sl/2019-02-04%20Default%20VB.rar?dl=1
If this has nothing to do with Telerik, I apologise for having wasted your time.

Best regards,
Ioannis Mamalikidis

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 07 Feb 2019, 03:22 PM
Hi Ioannis,

Thank you for taking the time to write us about this.

It looks like for some reason our controls' registration in Visual Studio Toolbox is collected in some kind of SOAP requests in the settings file you provided. It might be a combination with some other package or setting but I was unable to reproduce this locally and the setting files were all bellow 300kB and didn't contain any such records.

Please let us know if you find what specifically causes this on your side.

Regards,
Momchil
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kendo UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Ioannis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 07 Feb 2019, 03:37 PM

I see.

I think it's probably related to this other issue:

When I first open up VS 2019, sometimes the Designer UI gets frozen in a way that you can't select anything inside VS (menu included) but VS itself is not frozen. What shed some light here was the fact that at some point the Designer Toolbox was visible and I could see the telerik controls go dark, removed, and added again in circles for either many many times or indefinitely - so something is definitely going wrong with the Toolbox.

I'll try disabling all VS extensions and enabling things one by one to see if an extension causes this to happen, but for now, this is my update

Ioannis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 09 Feb 2019, 11:30 AM
After disabling all extensions, the problem still persists.
Every time the project opens, the Telerik tools get doubled (which makes VS somewhat unresponsive) and the settings file remains in many MB.

At this point, I'm guessing my options are uninstalling and reinstalling Telerik, and if that fails, doing the same to VS2019?
Momchil
Telerik team
answered on 11 Feb 2019, 02:41 PM
Hi Ioannis,

I was able to reproduce the behavior you describe.

I've logged 2 issues on the Microsoft Developer Community forum:
Thank you for reporting these. I'm giving you some Telerik points for your effort.

Regards,
Momchil
Progress Telerik
Get quickly onboarded and successful with your Telerik and/or Kind UI products with the Virtual Classroom free technical training, available to all active customers. Learn More.
Ioannis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 11 Feb 2019, 02:58 PM
That's great. Thank you :)
Tags
Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Ioannis
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by