This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Performance in VS2013 painfully slow after opening Designer - CPU Usage 100%

3 Answers 89 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Frederik
Top achievements
Rank 1
Frederik asked on 08 Sep 2015, 11:27 AM

Hi Everyone,

I installed the Telerik Reporting Tools today including the Local Demos.

I opened the Examples Solution (CSharp.ReportExamples.VS2013) and had a look at a few reports.

Suddenly, Visual Studio started to feel sluggish and sometimes becomes unresponsive for minutes(!), or does not recover at all.

CPU Usage is up to 100% permanently (as long as VS is open - even after closing the Report File).

I did not modfiy any files in the Examples Project.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 08 Sep 2015, 03:36 PM
Hello Frederik,

Please check the web.config files in the demo projects and which database they connect to. If VS becomes unresponsive on previewing a report, it can be an issue with the connection to the database.
Check also if the used Visual Studio covers Telerik Reporting system requirements.

Check also if there are produced any error logs on previewing the report - look in the machine's Event Viewer, add system.diagnostics section in the used VS config file.

We will be waiting for your update.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Frederik
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Sep 2015, 06:59 AM

Hi Stef,

Thanks for your answer.

I checked the web.config file, connection string is correct (local database, integrated security) - there should not be an issue with this.

The used visual studio covers the requirements and there were no error logs in the Event Viewer.

I added the system.diagnostics section to the VS config file.

Here's the fun part, after I added the diagnostics section to the config and restarted VS the reports opened pretty fast and CPU usage did not go up above 10% and even that only for a short amount of time.

I rendered some, opened previews... basically did what I tried to do yesterday and it worked just fine.

I do not know what caused this but it seems the problem fixed itself.

I intend to keep the diagnostics section in the config for VS and if the problem occures again give you an update about this.

Thanks for your help

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 09 Sep 2015, 11:10 AM
Hi Frederik,

Thank you for this update.
I am glad to hear the problem is resolved. If it occurs again, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Frederik
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stef
Telerik team
Frederik
Top achievements
Rank 1