This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Object reference not set to an instance of an Object

5 Answers 72 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Chris asked on 09 Dec 2010, 07:21 PM
I'm getting the error with a fresh installed machine (Windows 7) with a fresh install of Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. My question is has anyone tried to install the WPF controls without having an earlier version of Visual Studio on the PC like VS 2008.

I ask this question because we took the same image I have (Windows 7) and added Visual Studio 2008 to the PC then added Visual Studio 2010 and the Install and controls from telerik work fine.

On my VS 2010 only I don't have some of the .net files like net 3.5 is not there just the major version ( IE 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0) but there is no net 3.5 like on the VS 2008/VS 2010 machine.

I can't add any controls to the design space without getting the error. I hate to reimage my PC and add VS 2008 just to get the telerik controls to load.

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 03:43 PM
Hello Chris,

First I want to clarify something. For RadControls for WPF we distribute two separate installers. One is for WPF 3.5 and the other is for WPF 4.0.

Having this in mind can you make sure that the project you have created targets the same .NET Framework as the RadControls that you have installed?

One more thing I want to mention is that when you create a new project with RadControls for WPF it is recommended to use the Telerik Configuration Wizard. In case you didn't use it you might want to try it out.

I hope that the information provided was helpful.

Kind regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
Browse the videos here>> to help you get started with RadControls for WPF
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 04:58 PM
I confirmed the install was 4.0 WPF and the project is pointing to 4.0 also.

I did not use your Telerik Configuration Wizard, is this normal?

We install the tools on a box like this one I have it works fine. I did notice that on the other box where mine gets an error it looks like the other machine is adding references to his project where mine is not doing this. Its doesn't add the telerik references to the project.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 05:14 PM
Hi Chris,

Following up with the support ticket we're communicating over as well, this is a good discovery. While this has been an issue we've seen before, we haven't been able to reproduce locally.

Is it possible for you to send us the project you created so that we can try running it locally?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 06:00 PM
Ok I hope I have a great answer for you on this problem:

It looks like this error happens when the folder you are saving your project to uses a network share.

In our organization our My Documents folder is mapped to a UNC share so they can perform backups on the documents folders.

When I tried to create a project on the local C: drive the project work fine and your control references were added correctly, project ran perfect. So I think I found the resolution to this issue.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the update indeed!
We will have this for reference in case of future inquiries.

Please, find your Telerik points updated for updating the community!

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Petar