This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

NullReferenceException

11 Answers 790 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Robbie
Top achievements
Rank 1
Robbie asked on 27 Jul 2008, 10:38 PM

I have a radgridview that is databound to a llblgen entity collection (implements IListSource) . One property of the actual databound object (entity) is a nulalble int. This property is set by a GridViewComboBoxColumn. When a new entity is added to the llblgen entity collection after the llblgen entity collection is databound to the radgridview the new row is automatically added to the radgridview but when the user changes the nullable property a NullReferenceException occurs:

bij Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridDataCellElement.SetContentCore(Object value)
       bij Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridDataCellElement.SetContent()
       bij Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridTableElement.InvalidateRow(GridViewRowInfo rowInfo)
       bij Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewRowInfo.InvalidateRow()
      bij Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadGridView.OnLostFocus(EventArgs e)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       bij Telerik.WinControls.RadControl.WndProc(Message& m)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IntDestroyWindow(HandleRef hWnd)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DestroyWindow(HandleRef hWnd)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DestroyHandle()
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.DestroyHandle()
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Control.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Form.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       bij Bouwfonds.GEMS.GUI.WF.uiHoofdFrm.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       bij System.ComponentModel.Component.Dispose()
       bij System.Windows.Forms.ApplicationContext.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
       bij System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.DisposeThreadWindows()

Any idea’s?

Many tanx in advance!

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jul 2008, 01:44 PM
Hello Robbie,

Can you provide us with a sample project that demonstrates the case? If so please open a regular support ticket and send us your demo application.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Mihai
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 May 2012, 10:09 AM
Hello,

Today I have encountered a similar probme:

StackTrace + Exception:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance 
of an object.
   at Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadGridView.OnLostFocus(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKillFocus(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at Telerik.WinControls.RadControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at 
System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 
msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Telerik.WinControls.UI
    Assembly Version: 2012.1.321.20
    Win32 Version: 2012.1.321.20
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Lucru/PLC_empty/Telerik.WinControls.UI.DLL
----------------------------------------
Telerik.WinControls
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Lucru/PLC_empty/Telerik.WinControls.DLL
Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Windows7
    CodeBase: 
file:///D:/Lucru/PLC_empty/Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Windows7.DLL
Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Blue
    CodeBase: 
file:///D:/Lucru/PLC_empty/Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Blue.DLL
TelerikCommon
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Lucru/PLC_empty/TelerikCommon.DLL
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Code line error: ColumnGroupsViewDefinition columnGroupsView = new ColumnGroupsViewDefinition(); ...

Symptoms:
The error seems to be cause if I do multiple operations in close proximity (repopulate, redo radGridView.ViewDefinition set).
I have no 100% way to reproduce the error.
The grid has a column with texts (readonly) that is pinned. The rest of the grid is populated with CheckBoxColumns.

Can you give me a clue about what could cause this error?

Thank you.
Julian Benkov
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2012, 08:19 AM
Hi Mihai,

Judging by your description I can say that this is not a known issue. I would kindly ask you to provide me with additional details about your scenario. It will be best if you can send us a sample project where we can reproduce the issue. This will allow us to understand the exact behavior and the circumstances in which it occurs. Hence we will be able to assist you further.

Thank you for your cooperation. I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards, Julian Benkov
the Telerik team
RadControls for WinForms Q1'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
Sz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Jan 2015, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I have a similar issue with the latest trial version.

I have on form:
- RadGridView with databound items. (Typed Datatable, Bindingsource)
    - GridViewComboboxColumn with databound items (Typed Datatable, Bindingsource)

GridViewComboBoxColumn3.DataSource = Me.AllapotokBindingSource
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.DataType = GetType(Byte)
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.DisplayMember = "AllapotNev"
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.EnableExpressionEditor = False
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.FieldName = "AllapotId"
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.HeaderText = "Állapot"
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.Name = "Allapot"
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.ValueMember = "ID"
GridViewComboBoxColumn3.Width = 84

There are no additional code behind my form that is related to RadGridView.

The issue:

If I sort the GridViewComboBoxColumn3 at runtime, and I change a cell value to another value and I click to another row, the following error message shown:

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in Telerik.WinControls.GridView.dll
Additional information: Az objektumhivatkozás nincs beállítva semmilyen objektumpéldányra.

System.NullReferenceException: Az objektumhivatkozás nincs beállítva semmilyen objektumpéldányra.
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridComboBoxCellElement.SetContent()
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridDataCellElement.set_Value(Object value)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewEditManager.EndEditCore(Boolean validate, Boolean cancel)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewEditManager.OnPositionChanging(PositionChangingEventArgs args)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewEditManager.Telerik.WinControls.UI.IGridViewEventListener.PreProcessEvent(GridViewEvent eventData)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewEventProcessEntity.ProcessCollection(GridViewEvent gridEvent, PriorityWeakReferenceList list, GridEventProcessMode processMode)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewSynchronizationService.NotifyListeners(GridViewEvent gridEvent)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewSynchronizationService.FlushEvents()
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewSynchronizationService.DispatchEvent(GridViewEvent gridEvent)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridViewSynchronizationService.RaiseCurrentChanged(GridViewTemplate template, GridViewRowInfo row, GridViewColumn column, Boolean user)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.BaseGridNavigator.SelectCore(GridViewRowInfo row, GridViewColumn column)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridRowBehavior.SelectPositionOnMouseDownLeft(MouseEventArgs e, GridRowElement rowElement, GridCellElement cellElement)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridRowBehavior.OnMouseDownLeft(MouseEventArgs e)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridRowBehavior.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.BaseGridBehavior.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.RadGridView.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   a következő helyen: System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   a következő helyen: System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.RadControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   a következő helyen: System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Best Regards,
László

Dess | Tech Support Engineer, Principal
Telerik team
answered on 04 Feb 2015, 02:18 PM
Hello László,

Thank you for writing.

Following the provided information I have tried to reproduce the issue you are facing but without any success. Here is my sample code snippet:
public Form1()
{
    InitializeComponent();

DataTable gridSource = new DataTable();
    gridSource.Columns.Add("Id", typeof(int));
    gridSource.Columns.Add("Name", typeof(string));

for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++)
    {
        gridSource.Rows.Add(i, i);
    }

DataTable comboSource = new DataTable();
    comboSource.Columns.Add("ContactID", typeof(int));
    comboSource.Columns.Add("ContactName", typeof(string));

for (int i = 0; i < 50; i++)
    {
        comboSource.Rows.Add(i, "Name" + i);
    }
    this.radGridView1.AutoGenerateColumns = false;

GridViewDecimalColumn decimalColumn = new GridViewDecimalColumn("ID column");
    decimalColumn.FieldName = "Id";
    radGridView1.Columns.Add(decimalColumn);

GridViewComboBoxColumn comboCol = new GridViewComboBoxColumn("Name column");    
    comboCol.DataSource = comboSource;
    comboCol.ValueMember = "ContactID";
    comboCol.DisplayMember = "ContactName";
    comboCol.FieldName = "Name";
    radGridView1.Columns.Add(comboCol);

radGridView1.DataSource = gridSource;
    radGridView1.AutoSizeColumnsMode = GridViewAutoSizeColumnsMode.Fill;
}

The attached gif file illustrates better the behavior on my end. Am I missing something? Could you please modify my sample code snippet on a way to replicate the described problem and get back to me with it. Thus, we would be able to investigate the precise case and assist you further. Thank you in advance for the co-operation.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Dess
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Sz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Feb 2015, 04:28 PM
Hello Dess,

Thank you for reply! I try to reproduce the issue in a smaller application, without success, I have no idea what is the problem in first case. :) Some additional information:

- I have an SQL Server database -> The SQL table contains 2 computed columns, a foreign key column and "not null" and nullable columns also.
- In the test project I have a typed dataset with typed datatables. The gridview datasource is a BindingSource.
- I have multiple columns with same FieldName (a combobox column and a textbox column that shows the same data).

I think some object is Nothing in these methods:

a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridComboBoxCellElement.SetContent()
   a következő helyen: Telerik.WinControls.UI.GridDataCellElement.set_Value(Object value)

If you can send me a compiled dll with some debug code in these methods, I can test it with my application. (If this is a possible way of the issue detection. :))

This is not a big problem for me, I test the controls now. If I can reproduce the issue in the future, I will write a post.

Best Regards,
László

Telerik team
answered on 11 Feb 2015, 04:14 PM
Hello László,

Thank you for writing back.

Without a reproducible scenario or a sample code snippet which replicates the issue we can make only conjectures what is causing the issue. That is why I would kindly ask you to isolate the problem in a sample project and open a support ticket with it. Thus, we would be able to investigate the precise case and assist you further. Thank you in advance.

Additionally, when you are a licensed developer you are allowed to download the source code. You can refer to our Download Product Files help article.

I hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Dess
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Sz
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Feb 2015, 02:01 PM
Hello Dess,

After long hours I succeed to reproduce the issue. I open a new ticket with a sample project here:
http://feedback.telerik.com/Project/154/Feedback/Details/151017-radgridview-gridviewcomboboxcolumn-nullreferenceexception-on-cellvaluechanged

Thank you!

Telerik team
answered on 18 Feb 2015, 09:58 AM
Hello László,

Thank you for writing back.

The provided sample project and video are greatly appreciated. I confirm this is an issue with GridComboBoxCellElement in RadGridView. However, it is related to FIX. RadGridView - NullReference exception when using message box in CellValueChanged event feedback item which fix will be introduced in the upcoming Q1 2015 release.

I have also updated your Telerik points for reporting this issue.

Currently, the possible solution that I can suggest is to create a custom GridComboBoxCellElement as follows:
Private Sub gridMunkak_CreateCell(sender As Object, e As GridViewCreateCellEventArgs) Handles gridMunkak.CreateCell
    If e.CellType = GetType(GridComboBoxCellElement) Then
        e.CellElement = New MyGridComboBoxCellElement(e.Column, e.Row)
    End If
End Sub

Public Class MyGridComboBoxCellElement
    Inherits GridComboBoxCellElement
    Public Sub New(column As GridViewColumn, row As GridRowElement)
        MyBase.New(column, row)
    End Sub

Public Overrides Sub SetContent()
        If Me.ColumnInfo IsNot Nothing Then
            MyBase.SetContent()
        End If
    End Sub
    Protected Overrides ReadOnly Property ThemeEffectiveType() As Type
        Get
            Return GetType(GridComboBoxCellElement)
        End Get
    End Property
End Class

I hope this information helps. If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Regards,
Dess
Telerik

Evan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Feb 2016, 02:49 PM

All, I am using a pre 1stQ 2015 version of Telerik RadControls and ran into this problem. To get around it, I subclass the RadMultiColumnComboBox and override the OnLostFocus event handler as follows:

public class RadMultiColumnComboBoxSnc : RadMultiColumnComboBox     {         protected override void OnLostFocus(EventArgs e)         {             try             {                 base.OnLostFocus(e);
            }             catch (NullReferenceException nrex)             {                 if (!(nrex.Source == "Telerik.WinControls.GridView" && nrex.TargetSite.Name.Equals("OnLostFocus")))                 {                     throw;
                }                
            }         }     }

This way, only null reference exceptions that are from the grid view and come from the on lost focus event handler get swallowed.

Telerik team
answered on 11 Feb 2016, 03:58 PM
Hello Evan,

Thank you for writing.

The referred feedback item is related to RadGridView and its GridViewComboBoxColumn. Could you please specify in details what is the exact scenario in which you encounter the NullReferenceException and how the RadMultiColumnComboBox is related to this issue? A sample code snippet demonstrating how to replicate the issue locally would be greatly appreciated. Thus, we would be able to make an adequate analysis of the problem and assist you further. Thank you in advance.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Dess
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
GridView
Asked by
Robbie
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
Mihai
Top achievements
Rank 1