This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Keyboard shortcuts

3 Answers 325 Views
Menu
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Software
Top achievements
Rank 1
Software asked on 15 Jun 2009, 12:01 PM
According to the documentation RadMenu is supposed to support accelerator keys (Alt+F for example).

From the documentation (RadMenu -> Usability -> Keyboard Navigation):
  • After opening a menu use the arrow keys to move the selection up and down the menu, or to move sideways from menu to menu.
  • If the menu is equipped with accelerator keys, you can press Alt plus the key to activate a menu item. Accelerator keys are indicated by an underlined letter. For example, if you see the menu text New Item, then N is the accelerator key and Alt+N will activate the menu item.
  • If the menu displays a shortcut (such as Ctrl+N) to the right of the menu item text, pressing the shortcut key combination will activate the menu item.

But I can't seem to get this to work.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Eric

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Boryana
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jun 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Eric,

Thank you for contacting us. I guess you have not set a Command Binding for the RadMenuItem whose menu you would like to activate. To achieve that, first select the RadMenuItem and then select the CommandBinding property. Click on the button to open the ChordsMappings window. Please, note that in your case you have to select ActivateMenuItemCommand and after that assign keys. For more information, please refer to this example. I have also prepared for you a sample application that demonstrates the result.

I hope this answers your question. If you have further issues, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Sincerely yours,
Boryana
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Software
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2009, 01:19 PM
It would probably be helpful if the documentation was clear on how to do that.
It would also seem that your menus should handle normal windows functionality out of the box?
Boryana
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jun 2009, 03:29 PM
Hello Eric,

Unfortunately, this feature is not supported at this moment. Our team apologizes for the inconvenience. Nevertheless, we would like to add this feature in future releases. You are right that we should update the content of our documentation. Thank you for pointing out this issue, the article is doing to be updated next week and will appear in the Q2 release, which is due in two weeks.

As an immediate assistance you can review the "Keyboard Shortcut and Command Bindings" chapter in the WinForms Step-by-step Tutorial we recently added to our site.

I have also updated your Telerik Points.

Greetings,
Boryana
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Tags
Menu
Asked by
Software
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Boryana
Telerik team
Software
Top achievements
Rank 1