This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Kendo UI Mobile

4 Answers 39 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
James
Top achievements
Rank 1
James asked on 10 Jan 2014, 01:44 AM
We want to develop an application which we can deploy to several mobile devices(primarily targeting tablets).   We have built some sites with KendoUI and are familiar with the KendoUI mobile api's..but have questions about deployment?  This is not a public application..it is available only to internal users with tablets which will be handed out to them.  Do we really have to publish via some app store in order to get our in house developed application to our in house business users devices?  

How precisely are Kendo UI mobile applications (i.e. those meant to run as native looking "hybrid" applications) best deployed to say iPad and Android tablet targets?

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kamen Bundev
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jan 2014, 07:07 AM
Hello James,

Android is not a problem - switching on the setting Unknown Sources in Security Settings will allow you to install any APK file with either adb or by clicking on it either in a File Manager or in the browser downloaded files. With iOS the situation is entirely different - Apple doesn't allow installation of software out of its App Store, except for development and fortunately Enterprise Deployment. In order to us this however, you will need to register for the iOS Developer Enterprise Program which costs $299/year. Check the first document - it describes the process in detail.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Kamen Bundev
Telerik
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
James
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2014, 07:33 PM
Kamen,

Thanks very much.  This was how I understood things to be as well.  Which begs the question, who in their right mind would choose hybrid application development in order to build mobile applications instead of building a web application optimized for mobile devices and accessed via a browser.   I can understand commercially available applications..but business users?  It makes no sense whatsoever.
James
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2014, 07:38 PM
Kamen,

Forgot to ask. If I am then looking to target mobile web site(accessed via the browser, optimized for primarily Tablet, not phone)..where should I start ?

Thanks.
Kamen Bundev
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jan 2014, 09:48 AM
Hello James,

This is a rather general question. Be sure to read more about Kendo UI Mobile's adaptive rendering approach. Additionally you can read our documentation and check our online demos (some of them are tablet specific).

Let me know if this helps.

Regards,
Kamen Bundev
Telerik
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
James
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kamen Bundev
Telerik team
James
Top achievements
Rank 1