This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Issue displaying report on MOSS 2007

8 Answers 127 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
justin asked on 22 Jun 2009, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I am trying to display a report in MOSS 2007 via the smartpart. I am able to generate my report in a basic asp.net website and all is well. I am creating a user control and I set the actual report in the code behind because I need to set a property in the report first to determine what to query for in the actual report(based off of a query string).

When I add the report to MOSS all I get is the report viewer with no report loaded. Does this have something to do with the page life cycle of when the report needs to be generated?

I had read something along these lines for another post about a Rad control http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/ajax/first-time-refesh-in-radajaxpanel-ajax-call.aspx  Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jun 2009, 06:26 AM
Hello Justin,

The web report viewer is a standard .NET web control and Telerik Reports are standard .NET classes, so there is nothing specific in using them. If you doubt that the problem is with the way you load the user control, please use an asp:DataGrid/GridView bound to the datasource you use for the report instead and verify if it works correctly first. Once you have this working, the report should be displayed as expected.

Kind regards,
Steve
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2009, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the reply steve.

I am able to create my report just fine in a test website, I bind the datasource in the class library that I inlcuded in my sharepoint site. Basically, I created a user control.

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs) Handles Me.Load  

Dim report As New STReportLibrary.EdiTransaction()  
        report.CustomerName = "Customer1" 
        report.SetParameters()  
        Me.ReportViewer1.Report = report 

End Sub 

I set my parameter dropdown selections in a method of my report based off of the customername property, then I bind the report on "NeedDataSource". All is well like i mentioned in the the standard asp.net website. As soon as I load the user control into a smartpart and sharepoint, the only thing that loads is my reportviewer toolbar with no parameters listed and no report. That's why I thought it had soemthing to do with the life cycle of the page and when the report needed to be generated. Looking at that link, it looks like the smartpart generates the parts on ensurechildcontrols or something along those lines. Any idea if this could be my issue? I could always just create my own webpart, but I would rather just use the smartpart if I am able to.

I've also tried passing in the cusomtername in the constructor and setting the paramters at that time. No luck in MOSS.

Thanks,

Justin
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2009, 05:41 AM
  Dim report As STReportLibrary.EdiTransaction  
                    report = New STReportLibrary.EdiTransaction("Customer1", ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("ReportingConnString").ConnectionString)  

ReportViewer1.Report = report 

GridView1.DataBind()  
                    reportreportView.Report = report  

Dim reportView As New ReportViewer  
                    Controls.Add(reportView) 
I also put a gridview on the same user control using the same smartpart.v3 using an objectdatasource that is bound to one of the datasets coming from my report class libray and that populates just fine. So, I have proven that I am able to get data.

I also updated my control a little bit to take in my connection from sharepoint instead of the class and also tried adding a reportviewer dynamically. Niether helped the effort.

-Justin
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2009, 07:22 AM
I think I have a solution. Post more later regardless...
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2009, 04:44 PM
I am having no luck with anything I try. Any ideas?
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2009, 08:10 PM
Untill I can either come up with a solution or hear something back, I am viewing my reports as a seperate asp.net app using the page viewer web part with a few tricks to try and lock up the security. I was orginally wanting to work with Telerik reports becuase there is a major bug with SRS reports running dual zones on sharepoint. It would be great if I could figure out how to use this with the smartpart, that would be ideal.  At the moment, making a an actual webpart doesnt seem logical with the manner we use our reports.

justin

Chavdar
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jul 2009, 09:19 AM
Hello justin,

Please use the Fiddler tool to check what are the responses for different requests when loading the page with the ReportViewer control. I hope it will shed some light where might be the problem. In order to send us files with screenshots and http sessions from Fiddler you have to open a support ticket.

Greetings,
Chavdar
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Gregory Hite
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 May 2010, 05:27 PM
Justin,

I don't know if you are still looking for a solution on this.  I thought I would share with you what I have found and reported in this ticket. Since you were trying to add the reportviewer dynamically like I have, this might well solve your problem.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
justin
Top achievements
Rank 1