Export Excel

37 posts, 0 answers
  1. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Posted 13 Dec 2012 Link to this post

Hi!

I recently started to experiment with the PivotGrid and i have to say - very cool! But i couldn't find a way to export the data to excel, is that possible? Or is there a way to iterate through all the cells so i can export them myself?

Kind regards
    Michael
  2. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 14 Dec 2012 Link to this post

Hi Michael,

Thanks for evaluating RadPivotGrid. Export functionality is in our to-do list and it should be ready for our official release (Q1 2013). With the current release ti will be quite a difficult task to implement it on your own so I would suggest you to wait until to official release and check our internal builds in 2013 - maybe we will be able to include the export functionality even earlier, but I cannot give you exact timeframe.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any suggestions or concerns.

All the best,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

3. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Posted 17 Dec 2012 Link to this post

Hello!

Can you give me an approx. release date for the Q1 2013. Is it early Q1 2013 or later?
  4. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 17 Dec 2012 Link to this post

Hello Michael,

The official release is expected to be in the end of February or beginning of March.

Feel free to send us any suggestions or concerns you may have regarding RadPivotGrid.

Regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

5. Stylli
    Stylli avatar
    27 posts

Posted 20 Feb 2013 Link to this post

Hi,

Has the export function been released?

Thanks,

George
  6. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 21 Feb 2013 Link to this post

Hi George,

I'm glad to introduce you the first official release of RadPivotGrid. You can download our official 2013 Q1 release under your account. Unfortunately export functionality is not available with this release, but you can check all of the new features in our online help and our official page.

Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any suggestions or concerns.

Regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

7. Stylli
    Stylli avatar
    27 posts

Hi Rosen,

Can you give an indication on when the export/print function is going to be available please? I would like to make a decision if using the Pivot grid is a viable option i.e. if print/export is going to be available on an internal build in the comming weeks then I can plan around this.

Many thanks,

George

8. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Same here, i was really hoping to get the Export Feature in Q1 2013.
  9. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 22 Feb 2013 Link to this post

Hi all,

We are sorry for the caused inconvenience. The new target for export functionality is Q2 2013 release. Of course we have already started working on this feature and we'll try to push it for the ServicePack, but I cannot promise you with a hundred percent assurance that we'll have it on time.

I'm really sorry for the caused inconvenience. Feel free to contact us if you have any problems or concerns with RadPivotGrid.

Kind regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

10. Stylli
    Stylli avatar
    27 posts

Thanks Rosen,

I am not asking you to commit to a date however a genral guideline would be useful i.e. When is the service pack planned for release? Can we expect the export function to be available at then end of Q2?

A ball park weeks or months answer would help.

Many thanks,

George

11. Stylli
    Stylli avatar
    27 posts

Apologies Roseln, you have already answered the question i.e. Q2 2013.

Thanks,

George

12. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Hi George,

No problem. The service pack is expected for the end of March (beginning of April). We'll do our best to include export functionality in it, but if we do not succeed, than we'll target it for our Q2 release.

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to contact us if you still have any concerns or misunderstandings.

Regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

13. StevenDale
    StevenDale avatar
    100 posts

Posted 26 Mar 2013 Link to this post

Has this feature been implemented for the 2013 Q1 release? If so could you please provide an example of how to use it. Also are there any other print features for the Pivot Grid.

Thanks,

Billy Jacobs
  14. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2013 Link to this post

Hi Billy Jacobs,

Export to Excel is not included in our 2013 Q1 release, but I'm glad to announce that with our incoming Service Pack (it should be available for download at the end of the next week) you'll be able to use export functionality with RadPivotGrid.

Feel free to contact us if you have any problems or concerns.

Kind regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

15. Jon
    Jon avatar
    2 posts

Posted 27 Mar 2013 Link to this post

This is great news, what export types can we expect? 
  16. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 29 Mar 2013 Link to this post

Hi Jon,

The most desired feature was export to Excel, so I can confirm that you will be able to export your data to xlsx file. We have also worked on several other formats, so we'll try to surprise you. In a few days you will be able to try our new export functionality.

Of course, if you have any specific requirement about export format, feel free to send your request to us and we'll check if it is possible to use it with our RadPivotGrid.

Kind regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

17. Jon
    Jon avatar
    2 posts

I presented the Pivot Grid today to the business stakeholder and they are very excited and liked what they saw :) They did have one question on the Excel export: "will it be in pivot table format in Excel or just a flat data export"? If you could get me this info ASAP, i can continue to move forward with my development efforts.

Best regards,
    Jon
  18. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Hello Jon,

You will be able to export RadPivotGrid to flat table. We have not considered exporting to Pivot Table. We'll see what can be done in this area, but we will not have this feature for our Q2 release, as there are a lot of other planned features.

Hopefully this helps.

Greetings,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

19. StevenDale
    StevenDale avatar
    100 posts

Posted 05 Apr 2013 Link to this post

I downloaded the latest internal build 2013.1.401.40. Is this the version that has the export functionality? If so could you provide a simple example project demonstrating the new export functionality?

Thanks,

Billy Jacobs
  20. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 08 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hello Billy Jacobs,

Export functionality has been added in our Service Pack release (2013.1.403.40). This is our latest official release and I strongly recommend you to use it instead of the internal build. You can download it under your account. For an example project, I suggest you to take a look at our demos. You will find a new demo for RadPivotGrid with Export to xlsx (Excel), docx (Word), pdf and HTML.

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to contact us if you have any problems or concerns.

All the best,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

21. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Posted 09 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hi!

The new Export function is a very good start, even tough it's still a lot of work.

What's most important for me, is there a MVVM way for doing the Export? I mean without a reference to the RadPivotGrid Control.
  22. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 10 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hello Mike,

In order to use export functionality you must use RadPivotGrid's GenerateExport method. There's no other way to take all data that is necessary.

Hopefully this helps. Feel free to contact us if you have any problems or concerns.

All the best,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

23. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Posted 12 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Ok, thank you!
    I have two more problems:
    - My PivotGrid is placed in a radbusyindicator, when the isbusy property of the busyindicator is set to true before i call the GenerateExport method, the method returns 0 rows.
    - The export is extrem slow. 9843 rows with 37557 cells take several minutes for an excel Export. Is there a way to boost the Export?
  24. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 12 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hello Mike,

It looks like there is a performance problem when top and left borders of the cells are used. Setting them leads to huge calculations which are slowing down the whole export operation. Our Spreadsheet team is checking this problem and they'll also check what else can be done to increase the performance.
    So to boost the export you should change the following line:
    cellSelection.SetBorders(new CellBorders(leftBorder, topBorder, rightBorder, bottomBorder, insideBorder, insideBorder, null, null));

To:
    cellSelection.SetBorders(new CellBorders(null, null, rightBorder, bottomBorder, insideBorder, insideBorder, null, null));

I'm sending you the modified version of the project. I've also added BusyIndicator and everything is working fine. Could you give it a try and inform us if it is acceptable solution for you?

Kind regards,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

25. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Posted 16 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hello!

Thanks for your efforts, i was able to get rid of the BusyIndicator problem (my own fault :-) ).
    But your suggestion with the top and left border has nearly no impact. The export still takes about 10min!

I tried some combinations, maybe you can tune the export a bit more:
    • Time for export: 00:10:03.3555635 (With SetCellProperties, but with null leftBorder and topBorder)
    • Time for export: 00:01:58.6913792 (With SetCellProperties, but only with innerBorder)
    • Time for export: 00:00:44.5637506 (Without SetCellProperties)
  26. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Posted 17 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hello Mike,

In the examples I've sent you, the code is designed to create exactly the same visual representation of RadPivotGrid in Excel file. At some point this is causing slowness as we have to set many properties for each cell in Excel (borders, colors, etc.). You have already noticed this with your test, but just to clear it out - you can remove all code that set these properties and export only the data to excel. This way you'll not see colorized and polished table in Excel, but the export operation will be faster.
    As I said, our team is currently checking what is causing this behavior and hopefully we'll have improvements in the near future.

All the best,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

27. Dan Ove
    Dan Ove avatar
    9 posts

Posted 18 Apr 2013 Link to this post

Hi.
    I can confirm that the Excel export is extremely slow. I have a simple pivot with 3 rows and 4 columns. I use the export functionality from the WPF Demo application.

I have done some testing and found out that if I run the export with the debugger attached it took 41.8 sec to generate the xlsx. If I started VS without the debugger it only took 1.5 sec.

I hope this helps.

Best regards

Dan Ove

28. Rosen Vladimirov
    Admin
    Rosen Vladimirov avatar
    641 posts

Hi Dan Ove,

Could you try the application from one of my previous posts -  RadPivotGrid-ExportToExcel-SL-BordersRemovedAndBusyIndicatorAdded.zip. It is optimized a little bit, so the export should be faster. Also you should be aware that using debug mode is loading a lot of information in the memory and based on your configuration and application, it can result in a delay of the operations.

I suggest you to try above mentioned example and see if it helps. As I've already said, we are working on this performance issue and hopefully we'll have a solution in the near future.

All the best,
    Rosen Vladimirov
    the Telerik team

29. Dan Ove
    Dan Ove avatar
    9 posts

Hi

Your RadPivotGrid-ExportToExcel-SL-BordersRemovedAndBusyIndicatorAdded.zip did a export in approx. 5 sec. When I use the methods from the sample in my application the same pivot as before completes in 39 sec (2 sec faster with the optimized sample)

Dan Ove

30. Mike
    Mike avatar
    39 posts

Hi Dan Ove!

Thanks for the tip, i always tested in debugging mode. Without the debugger the Export is a lot faster.