This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Error 'telerik.WinControls.VSX' (vs2010 sp1)

9 Answers 452 Views
Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Lextendo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lextendo asked on 13 May 2011, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I get an error when trying to create a new winforms project in Visual Studio 2010 (SP1 applied).
First I start the wizard to create the new project: Telerik->RadControls for WinForms->Create New telerik Project.
Next I select a VB RadControls Windows Forms Application and enter a Name, Location and Solution name. (same happens when creating a C# app)
After pressing OK this error message appears:

Method 'GetProjectWrap' in type 'telerik.WinControls.VSX.ProjectConfigurators.NewProjectConfigurator'
from  assembly 'telerik.WinControls.VSX, Version=2011.2.419.0
, Culture-neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4' does not have an 
implementation.

The error occured when RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX was installed on the same machine?!?!

I uninstalled and cleaned vs extensions numerous times. When only installing RadControls_WinForms_2011_1_11_419_dev.msi there's no error.

When RadControls_WinForms_2011_1_11_419_dev.msi is installed (first or after doesn't matter) combined with Telerik.Web.UI_2011_1_413_Dev.msi the error mentioned above appears.

A little help would be appreciated. It seems vs2008 doesn't have this issue ?!

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 13 May 2011, 03:39 PM
Hi Lextendo,

Yes, the problem happens because of a common assembly discrepancy in the Telerik VSExtensions. It most often happens in Visual Studio 2010, because there is a chance that the IDE leaves some files after install/uninstall.

Can you try the following steps for a manual cleanup of the VSExtensions?

1. Close all Visual Studio instances;
  2. Start a Windows Explorer and navigate to the [VS2010InstallDir]\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik folder
  3. Delete all the Telerik VSExtensions folders (if any exist)
  4. Navigate to the %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Telerik folder
  5. Delete the Telerik VSExtensions folders (if any exists)
  6. Download the latest version of the Telerik VSExtensions from the Online Gallery to a folder of your choice
  7. Start a Visual Studio 2010 Command Prompt
  8. Navigate to the folder you downloaded the Telerik VSExtensions
  9. Run the following command for each vsix package you downloaded:
    vsixinstaller /a [VSIXPackageName], e.g.
    vsixinstaller /a Telerik.WinControls.VSPackage.vsix
  10. Start Visual Studio and check if everything is fine now.

Let me know if that helps.

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Q1’11 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download; also available is the Q2'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.
Lextendo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 May 2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Erjan,

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately it did not resolve the problem. However a new error message appeared:

[A]Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.Configuration.ScenarioDefinition cannot
be cast to
[B]Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.Configuration.ScenarioDefinition. Type A
originates from 'Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine, Version=2011.1.421.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4' in the context
'LoadFrom' at location 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik\
Telerik WebUI
VSEXtensions
\2011.1.421.0\Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.dll', Type B
originates from 'Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine, Version=2011.1.422.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=0dfdc51bd06071b4' in the context
'LoadFrom' at location 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik\
Telerik Winforms
VSEXtensions
\2011.1.422.0\Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.dll'

Kind regards,
Alex
Lextendo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 May 2011, 11:31 PM

Erjan,

I got it working :) I copied the 'shared' dll files from
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik\Telerik WinForms VSExtensions\2011.1.422.0
to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik\Telerik WebUI VSExtensions\2011.1.421.0

To be exact:
Telerik.UserSettings.dll
Telerik.VSX.Controls.dll
Telerik.VSX.dll
Telerik.VSX.Internal.dll
Telerik.VSX.ProjectManagement.dll
Telerik.VSX.TextTemplating.dll
Telerik.VSX.Web.dll
Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.dll
Telerik.WizardFramework.dll

Next I started vs2010, and removed "Telerik User Settings VSExtensions" (tools->Extension Manager)
(ignored the message other extensions would fail when this one is removed)

Exited vs2010 and went back to the winforms vs2010 extensions folder (see above)
Finally I installed Telerik.VSX.UserSettingsPackage.vsix from that location.

That did the trick :)

One final note:
I noticed when the extensions are installet by command prompt as you suggseted (vsixinstaller /a Telerik.WinControls.VSPackage.vsix) the are installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Telerik.
When i just double clicked the .vsix package they get installed at %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\Telerik

However, overwriting the 'web-dlls' worked on either method/location.

Hope this info is helpfull to other users and the telerik team. Thanks again for you much appreciated help!

regards,
Alex

Accepted
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 16 May 2011, 01:40 PM
Hi Alex,

Good to know all is working on your side now and thanks for the details!

These manual upgrade steps are indeed valid (my best respect for finding the solution), but I guess the replacement of the common assemblies one by one is kind of "hacky" and not straightforward solution, hence we cannot recommend it as an official workaround.

Still, a perfectly valid and working approach.

Best,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Q1’11 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download; also available is the Q2'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.
Lextendo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 May 2011, 03:21 PM
Erjan,

the replacement of the common assemblies one by one is kind of "hacky" and not straightforward solution

You are a absolutely correct about that!
Since the problem seems to be the 'out of sync' of common assemblies, I trust the telerik team will provide us a more friendly approach to resolve this issue in the future. ;-)

Regards,
Alex
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Jan 2012, 02:58 AM
The steps outlined by Telerik are really unacceptable. When will this install issue be addressed on Telerik's side?
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jan 2012, 04:11 PM
Hi Cary,

Thanks indeed for your opinion!

The thing is we need to make a compromise here between  having the shared code loaded to Visual Studio as many times as Telerik packages you have added to the IDE, or we simply distribute a set of all the Telerik packages through the Visual Studio Gallery at once, relying on the automatic VSIX package upgrade provided by the IDE.

We chose the second options for we really care about the performance of Visual Studio. If you have the automatic updates enabled in Visual Studio (Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Extension Manager -> Automatically check for updates to installed extensions) and you automatically apply the updates to your machine, you should not experience this error.

I would love to comment on any suggestions you might have on improving this behavior.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

SP1 of Q3’11 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download (see what's new).

TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Aug 2012, 07:11 PM
Posting to here because I searched for "ScenarioDefinition" and hit on this thread.

I just downloaded the very latest releases, opened a project, went to upgrade, and got an error similar to that described by Lextendo on May 13, 2011. I have a Web Forms project. The error says Type A originates from v12.2.606 MVC VSExtensions while Type B is v12.2.814 WebUI.

That's weird because my project is currently at 12.2.724 and I want to upgrade to 12.2.815.  Whatevah...

Before starting the hack described in this thread, I closed down VS2010 and then simply re-opened it and my project.

I was able to do the update to build 815 with no issues. Updated projects all rebuild, etc.

Not understanding what's happening, here's my guess in lay terms: Since I was working on code earlier, I'm thinking assemblies were cached somewhere. Then I updated all Telerik packages, and there was a mismatch when VS restarted (the TypeA/TypeB thing) - but the new assemblies were just read in. So restarting VS allowed the newly last cached version to agree with the current version, and voila'!

So ... before you start hacking, just try restarting, maybe even reboot your system.

HTH
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 27 Aug 2012, 02:03 PM
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings. The issue is actually not related to the product assemblies (Telerik.Web.UI.dll) or your project, but the product's respective Visual Studio Extensions.

The issue reveals itself sporadically and restarting Visual Studio might help temporarily. It is most commonly caused a version mismatch between the various products' VSExtensions.

The generic fix for the issue is just making sure you are using all of the latest VSExtensions. You can do that using the following steps:
  1. Open the Visual Studio Extension Manager (Tools -> Extension Manager...)
  2. Select the Updates tab
  3. Update all of the VSExtensions you use

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
RadControls for WinForms Q2'12 release is now live! Check out what's new or download a free trial >>
Tags
Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Lextendo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
Lextendo
Top achievements
Rank 1