This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Docking Forms

4 Answers 110 Views
Docking
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Antonio
Top achievements
Rank 1
Antonio asked on 21 Dec 2009, 01:14 PM
Is there a way to dock normal WPF Windows in the RadDock like you can with the winforms implementation ? Is there a way to dock the Telerik RadWindow control at all ? 

When I add items to the RadPaneGroup it always has to be a RadPane or iSplitItem.

I'm new to the WPF dock and really keen to get an old winforms application using RadDock for winforms upgraded to wpf.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 05:16 PM
Hello Antonio,

Unfortunately this functionality is not supported in the RadDocking control for WPF. The Docking control for WPF is meant to use abstraction for SplitContainers, PaneGroups and Panes and doesn't support windows directly - it generates ToolWindows, but you don't need to take care about creating or destroying them. This difference is because of the difference between WPF and Windows Forms.

If you have any questions, we will be happy to assist you.

Best wishes,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Antonio
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Dec 2009, 07:00 AM
Ok , the key thing really I suppose then is that I have an application that dynamically builds forms from user controls - the basis of this is too long for a forum post but the main thing to understand is that my application is plugin based.

So we have developed some plugins along the way and of course because of the flexibility of the docking interface , it made sense to allow any windows created by any of the the plugins to just be arranged as and how the user needed especially since many users would have varying setups.

There really is nothing else as flexible as docking windows for this design. Important to the design though is the need to be able to build forms / panels dynamically from the plugins and have them able to dock in the interface. Also we of course have no idea what windows the user may or may not need to open along the way.Normally I would look at the demos but the demo app has no example of dynamically loaded and content populated docking windows.

Creating a RadPane and adding it programatticaly at runtime really isn't a problem and rather straightforward but I am unable
to add controls / content to a radpane programatically - I expect that I am missing something rather basic here as the process
does seem straightforward.

So is there anything else I can use that can be docked into the raddock that can be programmtically built at runtime ?

Accepted
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 22 Dec 2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Antonio,

You are right that the Docking control suitable to be used with some kind of plugin architecture. What I could suggest you is to use Prism or MEF to achieve this. You can see an example(http://blogs.telerik.com/miroslavnedyalkov/posts/09-08-31/using_the_raddocking_control_with_prism.aspx) how to use the Docking control for Silverlight with Prism and as the RadControls for Silverlight and WPF share the same API, you could use the same approach for WPF.

Unfortunately the Docking control doesn't support anything else to be docked around except panes, but you could implement some application logic that wraps your user controls into panes and dock them wherever you need to.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Antonio
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Dec 2009, 12:28 PM
Exactly what I need , thank you.
Tags
Docking
Asked by
Antonio
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by