This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Design Tool Colors in VS 2008

6 Answers 52 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Steve
Top achievements
Rank 1
Steve asked on 22 May 2009, 05:35 PM
Has this issues ever been fixed that i reported in JAN 2009

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Steve,

Thank you for contacting us again on this issue.

This problem is not yet addressed, however we have been working on a mechanism to use the standard Windows themes in our controls, rather than our custom themes. Our hopes are high that we will be able to support the  high contrast windows theme as well. We plan to do some preliminary tests by the end of this week.

I will contact you back with further information about our progress on Thursday.

All the best,
Nick
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Steve
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2009, 04:46 PM
How are you doing on this issue?  any progress yet?
Nick
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jun 2009, 02:53 PM
Hello Steve,

By way of introduction, my name is Vassil Petev, Unit Manager at Telerik.

While reviewing this report's history, I came to believe that Nick misunderstood your question, for which I sincerely apologize. What you need is the ability to apply a High Contrast theme in design time, so that you can work with our tools, whereas he is talking about run-time theme support.

The feature you are after was logged for implementation, but with fairly low priority. Still, I understand the position you are in and that the lack for High Contrast theme support (or any theme support, for that matter) in design time has a great impact on your daily work.

I discussed this issue with our developers and we all decided that we need to raise the importance of supporting High Contrast themes both at run time and design time. In order to do so, we will need to:
  1. Create a new High Contrast Theme for our tools (as you probably know, the High Contrast Theme which comes with Windows is not a system theme, so our new system theming engine will not work with it)
  2. Add support for applying themes in design time.

We will probably start working on these shortly after the Q2 release since we are working on very tight deadliness due to the upcoming release.

I will keep you updated with our progress, and I sincerely hope to be able to provide you with some sort of a solution soon.

BTW, which Telerik controls you have most problems with? We may start supporting these first.

Best wishes,
Vassil
the Telerik team

Steve
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jun 2009, 04:47 PM
BTW, which Telerik controls you have most problems with? We may start supporting these first?

For WinForms and Web Tools the "Item Builders" and "Property Management" pop-up windows are the most frequently used and most dificult to see, if not imposible to see with respect to dark backgrounds or high contrast.
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jul 2009, 06:32 PM
Hi Steve,

Thank you for the feedback.

Our plans for Q3 include major rework of all WinForms tools that are included in the suite today: Visual Style Builder, RadControl Spy, Shape Editor, all property builders. The new theme of the tools which we plan to implement is black and white, although not too contrasting. While we are on this task, we will do our best to provide a high-contrast theme for all our tools. Now that Q2 2009 is out, we will also discuss whether we will be able to provide a high-contrast theme for all controls as well.

I will keep this thread open and will try to update you regularly on our decisions and progress.

Best wishes,
Vassil
the Telerik team

Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 15 Dec 2009, 04:15 PM
Hi Steve,

I just wanted to let you know that we have updated the themes to all tools which use such - here is the blog post on the topic: Telerik WinForms Tools get new slicker theme for Q3 2009

The new VSB, due in Q1 2010, will have a more contrasting theme.

I hope these changes will make the tools more usable for you.

All the best,
Vassil
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Steve
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nick
Telerik team
Steve
Top achievements
Rank 1