Column chart divided by categories - columns are displaced to the right (not centered in category)

1 Answer 32 Views
Report Designer (standalone)
Top achievements
Rank 1
Manuel asked on 17 Aug 2021, 11:37 AM


I am designing a column chart and divided the results by categories. However when the columns are plotted, they are not centered in between each category tick:

As you can see, the columns are displaced to the right, and this displacement is increasing for each new record.

This is occurring in every report I design.

How can I solve this?

Thank you,

Manuel Queiroz

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Telerik team
answered on 20 Aug 2021, 07:31 AM

Hi Manuel,

Indeed, the observed behavior is not expected. From the screenshot, it seems like there are other series between "Shannon's Portfolio" and "dummy-proposal". However, in the legend, I don't see listed other series.

I tested to reproduce the issue locally with a custom report that is attached. I couldn't replicate the problem and this doesn't let me investigate further. Can you send us a runnable report (with sample data) that demonstrates the issue? For example, you may modify the attached one and send it back.


Progress Telerik

Brand new Telerik Reporting course in Virtual Classroom - the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products. Check it out at
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 20 Aug 2021, 09:17 AM

Hey Todor,

Sure, I attach the report1 modified and also the datasource.



Telerik team
commented on 23 Aug 2021, 12:10 PM

Thank you for the report and the data. I noticed that there are 5 series, and there is data for only two of them in each category, hence the empty slots. The series change their position as for each category the available data is for different series. The categories don't come from the data. Each of the categories is added as a separate static group.

My advice is to restructure your data so that the category names are included in the data. Here is how the restructured data may look like:

Shannon's Portfolio;1;0;0;0.28423576;0.284814642;2;0.852696079;Inception
Tesla Inc.;1;2;5;0.5;0.5;2;0.5;Inception
Shannon's Portfolio;1;0;0;0.28423576;0.284814642;2;0.729847628;Last3Years
Tesla Inc.;1;2;5;0.5;0.5;2;0.5;Last3Years
Shannon's Portfolio;1;0;0;0.28423576;0.284814642;2;0.852696079;Last5Years
Tesla Inc.;1;2;5;0.5;0.5;2;0.5;Last5Years
Shannon's Portfolio;1;0;0;0.28423576;0.284814642;2;0.250226155;LastYear
Tesla Inc.;1;2;5;0.5;0.5;2;0.5;LastYear
Shannon's Portfolio;1;0;0;0.28423576;0.284814642;2;;YTD
Tesla Inc.;1;2;5;0.5;0.5;2;0.5;YTD

Note that I replaced the original KPIYear columns with two new columns - KPI and Category, to be used in the graph as Value and Category, correspondingly. I have re-attached the report with a new Graph created with the above data source.


Report Designer (standalone)
Asked by
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Telerik team
Share this question