This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Can not get Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll from TFS, VS 2010 hangs

6 Answers 151 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 2
Pieter asked on 12 Dec 2012, 07:55 AM
We have an ExternalDLL directory where we store all external dll's that are used by our software product.
All Telerik dll's we use are in that directory too. The ExternalDLL is versioned in TFS. This worked great up to the 2012 Q3 release. 
If I do a get Latest version Visual Studio hangs on the Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll, if I wait a very long time Visual Studio reports the file is in use.

If I start Visual Studio without loading a project an just go to Team Explorer and get the Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll Visual Studio hangs again. I disabled my virus scanner but get the same result. Removing and adding the directory from my Workspace also hangs. Getting and loading the solution file also hangs VS 2010.

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, SP1 with the Silverlight 5 update on Windows 7 64 bit professional. Telerik is version 2012.3.1203.40.
I tried reproducing the problem on a 32 bit virtual machine, there I can get the Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll without a problem. Unfortunately the DirectShow video streams we are showing do not work in the Virutal Machine.

At this moment I can not do a Get Latest Version in Visual Studio so I'm stuck.

After some more testing we found that Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll version 2011.3.1220.40 can be get from TFS on a 64 bit Windows 7, but version 2012.3.1017.40 and 2012.3.1203.40 cannot be get on 64 bit from TFS, if I try that VS 2010 hangs. If you wait long enoug after an hour or so VS 2010 reports that the file dll is in use.

Does anybody have a clue how to solve this?

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Teodor
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2012, 03:34 PM
Hello Pieter,

The assembly cannot be replaced by TFS because it is used by another a process. You can start diagnosing the problem by finding out which process has the assembly locked. This can be done by using a tool like Process Explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx). In my opinion the file is locked by the Visual Studio Designer or Visual Studio itself. You can try deleting the file with Visual Studio turned off to see if it is locking the assembly. Another possibility is the software you are developing.

Please let me know how that went.

Kind regards,
Teodor
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Dec 2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your answer!

I tried looking for the Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll using Process Explorer but it is not loaded anywhere, not on my machine nor on the TFS server itself. The get action hangs before the dll actually arrives on my harddisk as far as I can see it.
Teodor
Telerik team
answered on 13 Dec 2012, 08:58 AM
Hi,

Have you run the tool as an admin (the option in the context menu with a shield)? This sometimes reveals more results.

Another thing I can suggest is mapping your project to another directory to see if the issue persists.

Greetings,
Teodor
the Telerik team

Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Dec 2012, 09:40 AM
I started Process Explorer in elevated mode (as Administrator). The search for Telerik dll's shows dll's on the c: disk but none on the d: disk on which I'm getting the targets.The Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll isn't in the list anwhere.

I tried using a different directory, but with the same result, get latest version hangs VS 2010 halfway.
Teodor
Telerik team
answered on 13 Dec 2012, 09:49 AM
Hi,

To find if Visual Studio is the culprit i suggest making sure any devenv.exe processes are not running and then getting the latest version from the Windows Explorer TFS context menu or through a tf.exe get command(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fx7sdeyf.aspx).

Kind regards,
Teodor
the Telerik team

Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Dec 2012, 03:10 PM
We tried VS 2012, the TFS context menu, Team explorer but all with the same result.
My F-Secure Virusscanner was disabled during all test.
Finally I decided to totally uninstall the F-Secure virusscanner, and this solved the problem.

So F-Secure does something with the latest Telerik.Windows.Documents.dll that puts TFS in a timout state.

Thanks for thinking with me!
Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Pieter
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Teodor
Telerik team
Pieter
Top achievements