This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Adding ObjectDataSource causes to hang Visual Studio 2008

27 Answers 301 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Marcel asked on 02 Sep 2010, 02:04 PM
I have downloaded Telerik Reporting Trial Version 2010.2 714.

When I add an ObjectDataSource to a report in a WPF project (Visual Studio 2008) than Visual Studio does not respond anymore. Is this a known problem?

27 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
David Hogan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Sep 2010, 09:22 PM
I get this with Visual Studio 2010 - .NET 4.0 Web Application Project (no MVC)

Using version: 4.1.10.714

Did you ever resolve this or hear back from Telerik?
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2010, 12:14 PM
Hello Marcel,

You are the first ones to report such behavior and we are unable to reproduce it with the provided details. We will appreciate if you elaborate further and send us a sample project through the support system that exhibits the issue so we can investigate it locally.

Greetings,
Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Sep 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Peter,

I have the same problem. I have a report in a class library in VS 2008.
It seems, that there are any actions executed, after the ObjectDataSource is added, probably that causes the problem.
That must be the case, because if I create a blank class library and add a report and add an ObjectDataSource, then it works fine.

Best regards
Andreas
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Sep 2010, 10:57 AM
Hi,

when I try that in VS 2010 its the same, VS also hangs and never comes back.
Without the ObjectDataSource I cannot use Telerik Reporting, so it would be nice to hear something about this problem.

Best regards
Andreas
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 24 Sep 2010, 02:27 PM
Hi Andreas Lohr,

Adding an ObjectDataSouce to the report for the first time may take some time because the wizard must discover all the types that are visible from the class library. If the class library has many references to other assemblies these assemblies must be loaded in memory which is the cause of the slow down. We have made some tests locally with more than 80 projects and thousands of types and the delay is about 15 seconds. Please note that this delay is observed only for the first time when you add an ObjectDataSource and the result is cashed as long as you don't recompile your solution.

If you are experiencing unexpectedly long delays (several minutes or more) or the wizard doesn't appear at all could you be so kind to provide a sample solution that reproduces the problem? Open a support ticket and attach the project there - once we review it, we would get back to you with more info.

Best wishes,
Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Sep 2010, 05:58 PM
I've experienced this too. VS 2010 report in a web application with the data methods in an external library class.
I left mine over night and VS still didn't respond. It seems to only happen on certain class libraries of mine. I can't provide a sample project but I can do a screen recording if that helps?
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2010, 11:17 AM
Hi Peter,

We are not talking about seconds, we talk about hours. So probably VS will never come back. The dialog with selecting the namespace never appears. My main class library (where the report is also included is 2MB big as dll). And there are round about 10 references to other libraries (mostly under 300kb, but one is 32MB, but that 99% are just an embeded resource (*.dat textfile)).
Unfortunaly I cannot provide you a sample project, because a blank solution works fine for me and I cannot send you the complete solution with all our self-developed code. I think you understand that.
But I am not sure, how I can help you to find this bug. In the past with earlier Reporting versions, this has worked for me. So my idea was to install all older versions and check with which Telerik Reporting version it works again. But of course it could also happen, that it never works, because the reason is not, that this bug was added in a specific version, but rather my code base has changed in a way the ObjectDataSource can no longer handle.
So I am not sure, how I can help you to track this bug down. Please make a suggestition, if its possible, I will do it, but I cannot send you all code.

Best regards
Andreas
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Sep 2010, 12:55 PM
Will we get a solution for this bug? I cannot go on with my work until this bug is resolved.
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2010, 11:44 AM
Has anybody opened a Bug-Report?

I do not want to buy a Renew of the License, if I do not know, if they will fix the bug. If they cannot fix it, I am forced anyway to use a reporting software from another vendor.
David Hogan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2010, 11:57 AM
The problem being for Telerik is that they can't replicate the problem. Some of my external libraries work, others don't. I can't pinpoint it to a specific set of classes or types. I'll see if I can provide Telerik a non-sensitive library that hangs VS.
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 29 Sep 2010, 03:39 PM
Hi David Hogan,

You are correct - we are not able to reproduce the slow down locally and we cannot investigate the behavior further without a sample project that exhibits the issue, so we would highly appreciate if you take the time to send us a project where the issue can be observed. In the meantime our suggestion is to manually add the ObjectDataSource components and avoid the ObjectDataSource Wizard.

Kind regards,
Peter
the Telerik team
David Hogan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2010, 06:05 PM
Hi Peter,

Just to confirm, it's not a "slow down" - it's a full on visual studio hang (application is not responding). I left my simple project hanging for 7 hours with no change.

I managed to reproduce this problem by following these steps
- Open Visual Studio 2010
- Create new "Web Application Project"
- From "Telerik" Menu -> Convert to Telerik Web Application (default options)
- On default.aspx - Drag new viewer.
- Right click proj -> Add new item -> Reporting -> "Telerik Report Q2 2010" (named default report1.cs)
- Add simple class1.CS (mark public / data etc...)
- Within the designer for Report1 -> From the properties Window Choose the report object and the click "DataSource" button.
- Click the add new datasource link button
- Click "Object Data Source" then "OK"
- Enjoy the hang - > 30 mins later vs is still hung. 1 single class

EDIT
The same happens when I choose the datasource via the "Telerik Report Wizard" after opening the report1.cs file
In my case I sometimes get 100% CPU usage, other times I don't. Very strange
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Sep 2010, 09:39 PM
hi Peter,

"In the meantime our suggestion is to manually add the ObjectDataSource components and avoid the ObjectDataSource Wizard. Kind regards,"
That doesnot work: After you add an ObjectDataSource VS hang, no chance to abort the wizard. That means, its at the moment impossible for all people with that bug to use any ObjectDataSource.
I hope you can sort out that fast.

Best regards
Andreas
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 04 Oct 2010, 04:53 PM
Hi Andreas Lohr,

By adding the ObjectDataSource component manually I meant to add it in code behind as shown in the following code snippet:

/// <summary>
/// Summary description for Report1.
/// </summary>
public partial class Report1 : Telerik.Reporting.Report
{
    private Telerik.Reporting.ObjectDataSource objectDataSource1;

public Report1()
    {
        //
        // Required for telerik Reporting designer support
        //
        InitializeComponent();
        //
        // TODO: Add any constructor code after InitializeComponent call
        //

//
        // objectDataSource1
        //
        this.objectDataSource1 = new Telerik.Reporting.ObjectDataSource();
        this.objectDataSource1.DataMember = "IntValue";
        this.objectDataSource1.DataSource = typeof(WebApplication5.Class1);
        this.objectDataSource1.Name = "objectDataSource1";
        this.DataSource = this.objectDataSource1;
    }
}

Just to note that If you add the datasource component after the InitializeComponent() the Data Explorer will not be able to retrieve the schema. To have a working Data Explorer the datasource component have to be added in the InitializeComponent().

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce the Visual Studio freeze with the provided steps. Check out the attached video.

Best wishes,
Peter
the Telerik team
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Oct 2010, 01:49 PM
Hi,

I tracked the problem down:
- Create a classLibrary
- Add 1 report (abort wizard, let report open)
- Add reference to SharpZipLib library, you can download: http://www.icsharpcode.net/opensource/sharpziplib/Download.aspx
- Add an ObjectDataSource

I have also the same hanging problem with MailBee.net from www.afterlogic.com // paid component
I have also the same, if I add: Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation.dll & Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Configuration.dll & Microsoft.Practices.Unity.dll & Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Interception.Configuration.dll & Microsoft.Practices.Unity.Interception.dll

Let me know, if you need further assistance.

Best regards
Andreas Lohr
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 09:52 AM
Hi Peter,

have you checked, if you can reproduce the bug with my description?

Best regards
Andreas Lohr
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 04:46 PM
Hi Andreas Lohr,

Even with the provided assembly the ObjectDataSource is working as expected locally. However we suppose that the ObjectDataSource's modal dialog is being called successfully but gets hidden/out of focus and because of this Visual Studio looks unresponsive. Out suggestion is try the Windows + M key combination to get the modal dialog on focus. If the key combination doesn't work you can try with the Process Explorer to maximize the modal dialog and bring it into focus.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

All the best,
Peter
the Telerik team
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi Peter,

no, there is no modal window!
But I think now I have the problem tracked down: Its Windows Server 2008.
I have a Windows Server 2008 as development maschine just for a test I tested on a Windows XP, there I have no problems. I have only these 2 operating systems, not sure if any others are affected also.

Please try on a Windows 2008 Server, if you can add the dlls (I wrote in my last post) and add an ObjectDataSource.
Thank you.

Best regards
Andreas Lohr
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 11:16 PM

Thanks Andreas Lohr - I've also only experienced this under Windows 2008 Server. I guess there isn't too many of us that use server for a desktop / development environment.

Peter - Like Andreas has mentioned this isn't just a dialog box giving the impression of a crash. It is a full on VS hang! I can replicate this time and time again now using Windows 2008, VS 2010 and loading pretty much any external assembly.
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Oct 2010, 01:04 PM
Hi Peter,

can you reproduce the bug now?

Best regards
Andreas
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 18 Oct 2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Andreas Lohr,

We have made tests under Windows Server 2008 and the ObjectDataSource is still initialized successfully and successfully finds the SharpZipLib and Microsoft.Practices.Unity types. Check out the attached video that shows a test with a SharpZipLib assembly.

Regards,
Peter
the Telerik team
Andreas Lohr
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Oct 2010, 05:53 PM
Hi Peter,

I saw in your video, that you have made the test on a 32-bit system. I have 64-bit. I think that is the difference.
Please give it a last try, if that will work for you, too, then I give up.

Best regards
Andreas
David Hogan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Oct 2010, 08:53 AM
I can't run MP4's here at work, however this is happening on two 32-bit windows 2008 servers.
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2010, 12:58 PM
Hello David,

Unfortunately even with Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit we can't reproduce the issue. There must be another reason for the experienced behavior and our suggestion is to use VS to debug itself  just choose Debug->Attach to process to debug another instance of devenv.exe and enable First Chance Exceptions on the On the Debug menu, select Exceptions (or use Ctrl+D,E from the keyboard). Than you have to monitor the Output windows. This approach is mainly used when Visual Studio hangs and exits unexpectedly however we hope it will give us more information.

Let us know if you have further insight on the topic. It's in our best interest if there is such a problem to solve it. Unfortunately if we can't reproduce it, we will not be able to further investigate this behavior.

Regards,
Peter
the Telerik team
Carl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Nov 2011, 12:08 AM
I experience the same god-awful slowness using VS.NET 2008 on my Vista Ultimate x64.  It takes the Report Wizard about 10 minutes to present me with the "Choose Business Object" tree when creating a new ObjectDataSource.
Shawn Krivjansky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Sep 2012, 06:17 PM
Using latest 2012 Q2 SP1 reporting...

2 different machines...
Vista 64

Same issues as everybody else...  Either a NEW objectdatasource or configuring an old one (created on another machine) hangs VS (2010 in my case) forever.  You need to manually end the VS process.

I have it on 2 separate Windows 7 64 machines and this works without issues.
So, it must be something with the OS/bit combination.

I have tried the VS debugging, but nothing too interesting was revealed...

I get some:
The thread '<No Name>' (0x2b5c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x2dac) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x2adc) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x2ad0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread '<No Name>' (0x2ae4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

This is clearly a problem that many people have... and some of us can't use Telerik Reporting because of it.

Can we get somebody on this??

Try it on Vista 64.

Shawn Krivjansky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Sep 2012, 12:53 AM
In case anybody still cares...

Andreas was on the right track.

After tons of testing, this happens because of something in certain custom DLLs that the project has a reference to.
In my case, it ONLY happens with Vista 64bit.  Works FINE on Windows 7 64bit.  I have NOT tested on Windows 2008 Server (32bit or 64bit), so can't confirm one way or the other on that, but it is like clock-work on 2 Vista 64bit (Ultimate SP2) machines with a particular helper DLL that I wrote myself.

I have a ticket out to Telerik which I provided the DLL that should demonstrate the issue to them.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Marcel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
David Hogan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter
Telerik team