This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Doubts about the report paging

3 Answers 23 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
Carlos asked on 27 Aug 2013, 12:39 PM
Hi,

I implemented a simple sample in which I'd like to meet better the report's features. So, in theh sample I noticed the report is very slow when it goes to render on the MVC page.

I was able to see that It the problem is my query brings a lot of records, then I was imagining that report would do the paging correctly. However It is not working.

Furthermore, when I click the next page button, I have a impression the report is doing the same query: returning all the records  and then it applies the paging.

I think it would be better if the paging occured during the query not after the query results.

There is a manner to intervene the paging, such as some property, method or event that I implement the paging or change the query?

Thank you very much for all the attention.

Carlos

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
IvanY
Telerik team
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 10:58 AM
Hello Carlos,

The proper way to retrieve your data would be to create report parameters which your users can use to filter the report data. Then you can create data source parameters and pass the values of the report parameters to the sql data source parameters - that way the database query will return only the needed records, which means that the filtering will occur on database level and not on report level (which is faster).

Regards,
IvanY
Telerik

Have you tried the new visualization options in Telerik Reporting Q2 2013? You can get them from your account.

Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 02:05 PM
Hello IvanY,

Thank you for trying to help me! Let me explain what are happending...

I've already analyzed that feature where the report allows you create filters. it surely will help and improve the performance of report. However, using the many parameters in the report, it is bringing many records and it is generating paging. I'd like to control the paging because the report is executing the query and return all records, after that it creates the paging. It is the correct that query includes the paging, then many records will be brought the user.

So, there is a method, property and/or event that the developer can manipulate the query or paging? In additional,  Is there a manner that report makes paging with that performance?

Best regards,

Carlos
IvanY
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 02:07 PM
Hi Carlos,

As stated in the previous post the paging cannot occur on database level. The only way to retrieve the proper records from the database (which will be fewer) is to use the report parameters and the SqlDataSource parameters as described in the previous post. Please note that the paging process is a very specific and complex process not only for Telerik Reporting but for reporting solutions in general. The complex layout that you can create while building your report requires a set of paging rules to be added in our solution. There is no way to mimic or execute those rules at database level. Perhaps if you do not need a complex layout and the main goal is to display a large set of records you can have a look at the RadGrid control instead.

Regards,
IvanY
Telerik

Have you tried the new visualization options in Telerik Reporting Q2 2013? You can get them from your account.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
IvanY
Telerik team
Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1