This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Reporting

1 Answer 1353 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Trent
Top achievements
Rank 1
Trent asked on 14 Aug 2013, 03:48 PM
Can I get some help with this dilemma?

I tried to create a new Q2 2013 report into an existing project only to see this error:

"Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Reporting, Version=4.2.10.1110, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a9d7983dfcc261be' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Prior to adding this new item I had deleted the reference to Telerik.Reporting from my project, and then let VS2010 add the appropriate reference. The version is 7.1.13.802; the runtime version is v4.0.30319.

All of my projects in this solution are configured to use .net 4.0.

I have tried to use the Reporting --> Upgrade Wizard, which tells me the upgrade was successful. I have cleaned and rebuilt the project after running the wizard. I have restarted Visual Studio, and the workstation (running Win7 Pro x64).

All of the other Telerik controls work fine in the project and solution.

Here is the call stack information:
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(AssemblyName assemblyRef)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSTypeResolutionService.System.ComponentModel.Design.IDesignTimeAssemblyLoader.LoadRuntimeAssembly(AssemblyName targetAssemblyName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUniverse.LoadRuntimeAssembly(AssemblyName assemblyName)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUtil.GetRuntimeType(Type type)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkType.TryGetRuntimeType()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUtil.EnsureRuntimeType(Type type)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUtil.GetAttributeArgumentValue(Type argType, Object value)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUtil.ConstructAttribute(CustomAttributeData data)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUtil.GetCustomAttributes(ICustomAttributesDataProvider member, Type filter, CustomAttributesCache cache)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkUtil.GetCustomAttributes(Type type, Type filter, Boolean inherit, CustomAttributesCache cache)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkType.GetCustomAttributes(Type filter, Boolean inherit)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkAttributeCollection.GetAttributes(Type type, Type filter)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkAttributeCollection.GetAttributes(MemberInfo member, Type filter)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Shell.Design.VsTargetFrameworkAttributeCollection.get_Attributes()
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSDesignSurface.EnsureExtensions(IComponent component)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.VSDesignSurface.CreateInstance(Type type)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.DesignerHost.System.ComponentModel.Design.IDesignerHost.CreateComponent(Type componentType, String name)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.DesignerSerializationManager.CreateInstance(Type type, ICollection arguments, String name, Boolean addToContainer)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.DesignerSerializationManager.System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.IDesignerSerializationManager.CreateInstance(Type type, ICollection arguments, String name, Boolean addToContainer)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at Telerik.Reporting.Design.ReportCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(IDesignerSerializationManager manager, CodeTypeDeclaration declaration)
at System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager manager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.PerformLoad(IDesignerSerializationManager serializationManager)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Design.Serialization.CodeDom.VSCodeDomDesignerLoader.DeferredLoadHandler.Microsoft.VisualStudio.TextManager.Interop.IVsTextBufferDataEvents.OnLoadCompleted(Int32 fReload) 

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Trent
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Aug 2013, 08:17 PM
Problem has been solved.

I store my 3rd party controls in a "Binaries" folder in each project in the solution. It turned out that one of the Reporting DLLs was out of date (back to 2010), although I had recently installed 2013 Q2 reporting tools. I manually replaced the 2010 Reporting DLLs with the 2013 DLLs in the Binaries folder.

I then decided to add a Telerik Report Viewer to a new webform but it notified me of a conflict with two different versions. I decided to leave the conflict in place, then run a Reporting Upgrade on the offending page/project. Telerik successfully updated the versions of the controls for me on the new form.

Fortunately that solved my problem completely.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Trent
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Trent
Top achievements
Rank 1
Share this question
or